A thread for the Texas folks

I love Raven Nest. It is a must play for anyone north of Houston. I grew up playing the Trinity Plantation golf course. It was never as nice as Westwood, but had a super fun layout. Course lost their greens though and hasn’t been able to get them back.

1 Like

I do not. I thought about doing the online work with his group, but I don’t want to shell out that much for an online coach.

New here, I’m a Fort Worth golfer. Grew up playing River Crest, went to SMU played the Dallas courses (first hole on one was at Keeton Park #11).

Used to be a member at Diamond Oaks. Great course, wish they kept it up better like it was back in the early 2000s.
Currently am a member at Mira Vista. Love it.
Favorite course is Shady Oaks.
Won an NTPGA Masters tournament event at Shady Oaks against a bunch of guys who were going to play in college back in the day. I had to use “selective scorecards” to even get into the tournament.
The best 9 in Texas used to be the unused unmanicured Rockwood 3rd 9 that they turned into a par 3. Can’t believe they didn’t use it in the redesign.
Former P1 at Pecan Valley and always enjoyed hacking it around ZBoaz and trying not to double cross it into the strip club on #4.
My wife is better than me.

3 Likes

Raven Nest lost its sand trap/bunkers and hasn’t been able to get them back :frowning:

That sucks. I haven’t been out there since February. That place is so fun when it gets baked out.

did you ever get out? what did you think? i’ve played 3 times now and definitely think it’s a huge improvement. trying to get a tee time when they open up online at 0600 is a PITA though.

I was over there with my dog and they asked me to stay around the edges, so I didn’t get to see much more than what you can see from the street. I ended up going out to the Wilderness at Lake Jackson again after I was too hungover to get up and get a tee time and had an absolutely killer time. Wilderness is just too good to not have fun.

Moving down to Clear Lake/League City in the coming months and looking for a course to play/join with a regular game going. Seems most are Club Corp properties around there. Worth joining? What is the vibe/culture like?

I grew up in League City. I believe everything is now club corp for country club golf courses down there. South Shore Harbour is what I grew up playing and used to be associated with the resort. Its a pretty decent challenging track with 3 nines. Has a club house that probably needs to be remodeled but there a definitely a bunch of big groups that play. No pool or work out facility ect. Magnolia Creek is probably the best course but has the worst facilities. Started as a public course and has a small clubhouse. Bay Oaks has the best facilities and a pretty decent track. I think is the pricier tier of the three. Beacon Lakes (Public) isnt a good golf course but it is lighted. I know Bayou golf course (Public)has some regular games and is pretty affordable. Timber Creek I believe just started a membership program and is one of my favorite courses in Houston, but again pretty basic facilities.

2 Likes

I’ve got PTSD from a high school tournament played here. 45mph winds and air temps in the low 30’s. I think I shot a million.I flip it off every time I drive to Dallas.

5 Likes

It’s definitely quirky as it is. I can only imagine in those conditions hahaha

Anyone in the San Antonio area interested in a round on Christmas Eve morning? I grew up in Texas but live in DC now, in town for the holiday and looking to take advantage of some warm temps.

Was thinking Brackenridge, the quarry, or la cantera but haven’t played much in the area so open to anything.

Flower Mound checking in. I play Bridlewood mostly but have played most of the courses around town, particularly the west side.

2 Likes

I grew up in flower mound and played bridlewood a ton. The range membership now is a great deal.

Also @brandlescramblee is from flower mound as well I believe.

1 Like

The new ownership at Bridlewood has done a great job. I’ve got the social membership which is very reasonable and gets great golf perks. I play any day after 1:00 for $6 (3:00 in the summer).

2 Likes

The new management has done a great job. I really like the layout of the course and I feel like it is maintained better now.

1 Like

I heard it was in great condition right now

2 Likes

Our golf team practiced there and I loved the course but the greens got baked out and basically died one summer. Glad to hear Bridlewood is doing well.

Anyone know of good courses north of McKinney? May be spending some time up that way for work, and I’m hoping to get out for a few rounds.

Not much on the North side. Heritage Ranch is on the SE side. Members play in the mornings. Usually pretty open in the afternoons. It’s in good condition now… as long as the floods stay away.

1 Like