A thread for the Texas folks

#Getinvolved

2 Likes

Edit: I don’t know why my gifs havent been gifing today

I’m going to be in DFW for a couple of days for work in late January.

I’m thinking if I can time up flights correctly, I might be able to sneak in an afternoon round of golf upon arrival or the day I am about to leave.

Here are my questions for the DFW folks:

1. Is the weather decent enough in late January to play?
  2. Are there any courses near DFW airport that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

DFW in January produces many great days for golf. There will also be several " No way in Hell " days. Sometimes during the same week. Start checking the weather apps about ten days out to see if clubs are needed.
Courses near DFW, I would recommend Texas Star $ 60 weekday, Grapevine golf course $ 50… $ 35 walking or Cowboys Golf Club $$$ all inclusive ( cart, food, non alcoholic drinks )

1 Like

Thanks gkeephr. I’m going to book flights that give me the chance to play and cross my fingers. For someone in Montana, any golf in January would be good golf!

1 Like

Others depending on how much you want to spend:
Old American ($$$) where they play the LPGA tournament
Tribute ($$) - Replicas of famous links holes, in the winter when its all dormant its as close as you can get in middle of the country with huge bounces on the fairways and pretty firm greens since they redid them

2 Likes

Agree with @bored_6m’s recos, Texas Rangers Golf Course ($$) is also really fun, about 15-20 minutes south the airport. Lots of width especially on the front nine, some risk/reward tee shots, and a few wild green complexes. Firm and fast too with no rough, just some native areas and only a few tree-lined holes on the back nine.

once you are back from injury lets get out there.

I’m playing again, may not be the best decision but feeling a little better. Let’s get out in January.

Rangers course is great. Played out there a couple of weeks ago in a tourney (got smoked, had fun)

I am in and out of the office for the rest of the year, so if anyone wants to sneak away at some point next week I am pretty sure I can make something work then too.

We may or may not be parting ways with our office manager today so I think I am going to be pretty tied up work wise for the next six weeks until our new one can start. Weekends though

I would be interested in a Dec 30 or 31st round too, depending on when I get back into town from Christmas and what work looks like that week. I have a voucher for a free tee time at The Tribute that expires December 31 that I haven’t been able to use yet.

Anyone in Austin with coach recommendations? I’m way in on Gankas’ methods, but most local coaches I’ve talked to seem to be against a lot of what he teaches. Anyone know a Gankas adjacent coach in Austin?

Howdy folks! I’m new to posting in the refuge so I figured I’d make a post here in the Texas thread. I’m from the Houston area and frequently play whatever is the best deal around town. I’ve been super excited about the renovations to Gus Wortham and Memorial Park, which I’ve been able to play twice since the re-opening. It’s nice to have options to walk in the city for less than $40 on the weekend. Any other Houstonians out there?

“Houston-based engineer who works mostly to fund his golf budget. Proud owner of a wipey fade.”
Are you me?

2 Likes

There are dozens of us!

1 Like

Sam Houston State grad and Spring/Woodlands resident here. Ravens Nest in Huntsville is about as nice a course as you could ask for in a smaller country town like Huntsville. 30 min up the road in Trinity is Westwood Shores. Westwood Shores gives a Caddie Shack vibe. Like Chevy Chase or Bill Murray could pull up on you at any moment. It is quiet, and pretty secluded. I believe we got on for $30. Greens are soft and slow - so going low is an option (though, I am scared to go low).

Now that I have graduated and been in The Woodlands area, we are members at the Woodlands Country club. It is nice, but won’t blow your socks off. I enjoy it, but it is getting VERY over populated. Additionally, I have played Cypresswood, Augusta Pines, Walden, Woodlands - Gary Player Course, and Grand Lake Estates.

For ATX/San Antonio Golfers looking to change it up:

Played The Bandit down in New Braunfels yesterday for the first time in a while and was extremely impressed. Living in Austin am always looking to change up the scene as I will usually play a heavy rotation of Cystal Falls, Star Ranch, Avery, etc.

Drive is an hour-ish from downtown. We were possibly the first group to tee off at 844am and the round was $75 or so. Green speeds were great and extremely smooth… definitely one of those places where certain holes you would much rather be 15 feet below the pin than 5 feet above. Worth your time to give it a look if you are looking to try new places in the somewhat nearby area.

2 Likes

I’m familiar with Gankas’ leg work. Do you work with him?