A thread for the Texas folks

Didn’t know anyone else was on here from San Antonio. We will have to get a round in some time.

Thats fighting words, nothing beats Valentinas…

4 Likes

Mary’s in Boerne (or Kerrville) is the GOAT. The tortilla is a game changer.

4 Likes

i’ll find a way to give them a try soon.

There was a HEAVY taco conversation going on in the Things, ranked thread. Buncha non texans saying they had good tacos

Trust me when I say this: the best breakfast tacos I’ve ever had in my life are at a Fast Break convenience store in Woodsboro, just south of Refugio in between Victoria and Corpus Christi. If you’re ever hungover from going to a hunting lease, one of these breakfast tacos that are as big as your head will solve that problem immediately.

3 Likes

The Duel thread had a bunch of bad Taco and Kolache takes as well.

1 Like

Honestly there’s tons of gas stations statewide that can serve up a heater of a taco.

3 Likes

I haven’t decided on if I am out on Czech Stop yet or not, the last 3 times I have stopped it was trash and Gerik’s wasn’t much better. I have heard tales of a Brisket Kolache on Cesar Chavez in Austin that is super legit, but haven’t made it there yet.

completely derailing this thread to say — love your writing dude!

i would be disappointed if a refuge thread was on topic for more than 5 posts

Made the Dallas to Waco drive a ton in college so Czech Stop will always be the best to me, just because of the sentimental value.

I was the same way, it was what defined the entire koblanski genre for me, but man the last couple of times it was bad. Sausage barely filled the internal cavity, the hot wasn’t nearly as hot as it was a year ago and the roll ended up being gummy…

Hey man thanks, I appreciate that.

1 Like

Its always such a beat down to get through the crowd, Im generally out on it because of that, not because of poor quality

I rarely get any of the savory things from there. Always on the cream cheese fruit Kolaches.

I’m almost always traveling through before 6 am or after 9 pm so I haven’t seen crowds on any days other than game days in Waco, Austin or College Station.

For those I am in on Geriks. They do that so well. And the cinnamon rolls are unreal.

1 Like

Always looking to play in Austin if someone wants to get out.

1 Like

Czech Stop has gone way down hill in recent years. The Brikset Kolache at Kerlin BBQ in Austin is doing it right. While “technically” not a kolache since it has meat, it is still fantastic.

Where you at in Austin? A buddy & I are up north and typically play at Star Ranch.