A thread for the Texas folks

Headed to Pine Dunes for a quick golf trip with 3 other friends. We booked the stay and play package and will be staying at one of the condos off the 18th green Saturday night. Any tips or things to know before heading out there? Best to bring your own food with the kitchen there or are there good meal offerings in the club house?

Both the stors and big plex have an event today so it might be a bit until you get the proper answers

But if I remember correctly
Bring your own stuff
Don’t tell the owner the logo sucks
But others will have better insight

5 Likes

The clubhouse food should be fine for 4 people. I’d call and check what time they stop serving dinner though. Their food offerings are nothing special but there aren’t many other options out there. They have a grill by the condos if you want to cook for yourself but it’s pretty beat up.

3 Likes

Yeah that grill sucks…but they have a nice heli pad!

5 Likes

Austin friends. I’m driving down from Dallas next Tuesday (Feb. 7th) and was going to try to squeeze in a round. If I’m only getting one round is Lions the spot? Somewhere else?
Also, if anyone wants to join would love to have a local sherpa. Only thing is I’ll need to tee off sometime between 1-2pm as I have a stop to make in Waco on the way down and a dinner that evening.

1 Like

Anyone by chance have the scoop on Wildflower CC in Temple (or any other golf in the Temple area)? Could potentially be moving there in the next month or so and the availability of decent golf is playing into effect more than I’d care to admit.

1 Like

Hey guys I am wanting to join a golf league in the DFW area for 2023, I am not a member of a club was wondering if anyone had any ideas or are part of a league already?

Yo! Go ahead and join our discord for the DFW Roost, you’ll get a faster answer in there and it’s a great place to grab tee times with our group: Big Plex

2 Likes

Thanks man, just joined

2 Likes

From Houston, moving to Sugarland and recently joined Sweetwater CC. They have two great looking courses and amenities galore! Can’t wait to play out there once we officially move!

3 Likes

Welcome! I’m in Missouri City so not too far from Sugar Land. Would love to catch a round with you at Sweetwater sometime

Absolutely! My email is dshedd41@gmail.com

1 Like

Does anyone know when PGA Frisco / Fields Ranch will open to public tee times? Looks like the resort is opening in May but idk if that means golf too. And then Senior pga champ at the end of May.

Idk, does anyone know what it all means? I’m dying for an easy weekend golf trip to some killer courses. Especially when I look out to my ice rink of a backyard.

1 Like

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/velvetsteves-the-caddy-diary/81664/523?u=wnf08a

Can anyone in Dallas help?

1 Like

Anyone in Austin willing to host an ATL Nester for a round?

Going to SXSW Interactive the weekend of March 11, flying out Tues, Mar 14, but wondering if I should move my flight back in the evening and try to play Tuesday…

Would love to meet some Austin folks.

Do not have space for this on the move, any Fort Worth people want a golf club display? Best offer. Or free. You have to pick it up.

2 Likes

@KBandujo headed to pine dunes in 3 weeks flying into DFW. Any recommendations for a course on the way to Pine Dunes? Thanks!

This is a better question for @DuckDuckHook

2 Likes

Near DFW (not necessarily on the way) I’d recommend Texas Rangers GC and Texas Star. Star is more difficult particularly if your driver isn’t dialed but a really fun track and typically in fantastic shape. Texas Rangers will be in primo shape as they have the KFT event there in April. It’s one of the funnest courses in DFW (IMO) and quite a bit more open with centerline bunkers, split fairways and the like. Both of these will run you in the ballpark of $100.
Dallas has a some really good muni’s. Stevens Park can be a tough tee time but a fun and slightly goofy track. It weaves very intimately through the neighborhood. Further south is Cedar Crest which is an A.W. Tillinghast design and hosted the '27 PGA. It’s my favorite course in Dallas hands down. Not all share that opinion (particularly my wife). If you see reviews about the greens being bumpy that’s in the past. Had a poa takeover last year and they had to completely shut down to replant the greens. They are in really good shape now (it’s still a muni) and firm.
If you strike out at all of those, Mesquite GC is on the east side of Dallas headed towards PD and has a really good set of greens. The rest of the course isn’t on the same level as the greens but that’s mostly because the greens truly stand out.

8 Likes

I have an irrational love for cedarcrest. Such a fun design.

2 Likes