A thread for the Texas folks

Anybody played QuickSand in San Angelo

He is still a dick and still the current owner of Diamondback. He was a co-designer in the late 70s when ACC South (I will always still call it Fairway) broke ground but his involvement is way in the past and there is no current connection to ACC.

Diamondback is still pretty solid but he has been trying to offload it since it opened. They changed the entrance and cleared land to sell homes (patio homes?) I suppose as a cash grab but we are going on a couple years since that development and not a single house has been built. They also changed the routing about a year or so ago and I think it works better.

5 Likes

I played out there last fall and it was a wonderful day and course was in awesome shape. Don’t know about any of the other stuff but I would definitely recommend it for anyone out/ headed out West from DFW.

First-timer here. Anyone have a recommendation for a driver fitting in Dallas? I have heard that Club Champion’s fitting process is great but the cost is exorbitant if you want to buy through them. Curious to see if anyone has experience with Dallas Golf Co.

1 Like

A lot of Dallas Golf fans within the DFW crew. I’ve done putter and driver/wood fittings with Austin there - he’s super personable and breaks down the numbers in a way that makes a lot of sense to me. Only advice would be to make an appointment now since they’re usually booked a few weeks in advance.

3 Likes

Anyone been out to Tempest in Gladewater recently? We’re going out for a night next weekend, and no one has ever played it. We’ve gone to Pine Dunes the past 3 years, but we wanted to mix it up.

2 Likes

Tempest is a fun track, and it’s almost always in great shape. Believe they held a few college tourneys out there last year.

I’ll second that on Tempest, went out there two weeks ago for a golf weekend and it was in awesome shape, really fun course. Makes you think off the box a bunch.

Also saw Clint Dempsey there, which was cool.

5 Likes

Hey Gang,

I’m planning a golf trip to Dallas/Fort Worth. I’m wondering what the group would say are the top 5 best public or semi -private courses? I’ve looked around and there are tons of private clubs, we’re paying to pay top dollar for the best public courses. Any help would be great, thanks!

I think all of these would somewhat fit what you’re looking for.

Texas Rangers
Rockwood
Tribute/ Old American
Texas Star

1 Like

I think that’s a pretty good list unless you have access to any private clubs. You could play TPC las Colinas if you’re really willing to shell out some cash.

I agree all of those are good. I’d possibly sub Buffalo Creek for Rockwood, but Rockwall can be a ways out there.

How much time will y’all have? Pine Dunes is about 90 minutes each way from Dallas and has a really great course. Tempest is also out that way if y’all did a long day to east Texas.

2 Likes

I called them, they said you can only play if you are staying at the hotel. We would be willing to pay the money, but we’re renting a house

Appreciate both suggestions. We’re going to have 5 days so a 90 minute drive each way is worth it if the course is amazing, will definitely check it out

1 Like

Please tell me you’re not coming until October….

2 Likes

Pine Dunes is definitely worth the drive. It’s a very secluded site in the middle of nowhere. It gets a lot of press and there’s a yearly refuge event out there between the major areas of Texas. I’m doing a stay and play at Tempest this weekend so I can let you know how it is.

2 Likes

heck no, haha we’re going in May of next year, I know way early, just starting the research early. Coming off a golf weekend, and i’ll you do is think about the next one!

1 Like

If you’re looking that far out, the PGA courses in Frisco should be open by then. They may make you stay at the Omni. Gonna be a lot of PGA Championships and (probably) a Ryder Cup or two hosted there.

3 Likes

I’m on the Fort Worth side of the plex, but here are some intriguing public options:

Texas Rangers
Sky Creek Ranch
Texas Star
Tierra Verde
Rockwood Park
Waterchase

If you are willing to drive 1) Pine Dunes 2) Tempest 3) Squaw Valley

2 Likes