A thread for the Texas folks

thanks so much!

Echo Squaw Valley! It’s a blast to play and worth the drive with two courses. I prefer the Links over the Lakes but both are worth playing!

Since you’re not coming until May of next year you should check back here on the condition at Cedar Crest. A south Dallas gem and host of the 1927 PGA. Amazing layout but they lost their greens this year and couldn’t recover. They shut down July 1 to do a complete regrassing. They plan to open back up in October this year. Crossing my fingers the course is playing better than ever this fall/next year.

3 Likes

Courses at the new PGA headquarters may be open by May.

1 Like

Love playing there when I’m in Grandury for work. Bad situation with the wild fire right now. Hope everyone down there in that area are safe. 6700acres burnt. They also redid the lakes greens this year. Not sure they have reopened that 18 yet but should be within a month. Redoing them due to POA infest bad.

1 Like

Anyone playing in the Texas state open?

If so …

1 Like

My dad is turning 60 next year and my brother and I have always wanted to go on a golf trip. Big Cedar would be drivable, but I feel like for the cost we could go somewhere a lot cooler. I’ve looked into TPC Sawgrass, Pinehurst, and Pebble, but open to other suggestions. Sadly, they wouldn’t get as hyped for Bandon-type places as I would, but just wanted to see if y’all had any good recs. Thanks!

Big Cedar is dope. All the golf you want, plus tons of good outdoor activities like fishing. Also the accommodations and food were top notch. Definitely don’t sleep on it.

2 Likes

Big Cedar is a lot of fun. Payne’s Valley is a stunning and lot of fun. Mountain Top par 3 is a great experience too.

Also, while I’m not familiar with all of the others, I can attest that Pebble is in a completely different cost stratosphere. Pretty much the most expensive trip you can take in the US. Big Cedar is actually a decent value.

4 Likes

Admittedly, I’m probably sleeping on Big Cedar a bit. I’ve been there and my brother has been there, so there’s probably something in my head about wanting to go somewhere else. I should look into it more though. Thanks!

1 Like

I haven’t been to Pinehurst but I don’t think you’ll go wrong there. And it has the name recognition so you won’t have to get over that excitement barrier.

Agreed. I’d love to go to Bandon, but my dad and brother are your typical “American” golfers so they’ll want to play something that pops when you see it if that makes sense. I’ll look into Pinehurst and TPC a little more too. TPC could be cool with the World Golf Hall of Fame stuff too

Works currently got me outside of Pinehurst. They do a very good job of catering to all levels of golf nerd. Would definitely recommend doing the trip in the fall.

2 Likes

Go to Pinehurst. Rent an airbnb and play Mid Pines, Pine Needles, and Tobacco Road. Then go to the resort for a day or two and play those courses. Don’t overthink it.

2 Likes

While I agree that Bandon might not be best for the “typical American golfer” I don’t think lack of pop is the issue…

3 Likes

Lots of great options here. If you are looking for something more intimate that is between a father and sons, go to Bandon. Second option after that would be Sand Valley. The golf is amazing, food is great, but both places make the trip feel personal.

Pinehurst, Big Cedar, and TPC are great places. But they are also factories. You are another number on the board. But the golf is great and they are names everyone recognizes. If you choose Pinehurst, I highly suggest Tobacco Road on the way down, some rotation of Mid Pines, Southern Pines, and Pine Needles, then onto the Resort.

5 Likes

I definitely agree. I think Bandon would be sweet. To clarify “pop”, if we went to Big Cedar there’s no doubt Payne’s Valley would be their favorite and they’d probably not care for Ozarks. Which is extremely unfortunate

Awesome. I’ll look more into those today. I feel like this might be the last big trip for a while with families expanding and what not, so I guess I’m wanting a “safe” option to make sure they’ll have a good time.

Psssst…. I didn’t either. It’s pretty narrow and penal. Lots of lost golf balls.

You are right, Big Cedar is great but overpriced IMO. Pinehurst is a better trip and much cheaper per round if you mix in some of the great courses offsite in the area.