A thread for the Texas folks

That’s disappointing. They got them in good shape last summer even after the freeze, wonder why they’re so bad this spring. They have US Senior Open qualifying in about a month there and also a collegiate event I thought, but it may be a junior tournament. Could be rough.

It was really rough. Was strange since the rest of the course was great. We actually played with a single who was playing a practice round for the senior am qualifier. He was not happy with the greens condition at all. It was impossible to hit anything into or on the greens. No judge of spin, speed, or which direction the poa sprouts would launch the ball.

I’ve been subjected to this twice by an ex and her family. Can confirm it’s a hard pass for me.

1 Like

Texas nesters, in Austin for the week, where should I play??

3 Likes

If its an option drive to San Marcos and play Kissing Tree and then float the river.

Butler P&P a must

Wolfdancer is the maybe best non-resort stay needed course in the “area” -

The Omni and Horsehoe bay courses are solid (especially the coore-crenshaw at the Omni) but im fairly certain you have to stay to play…

Lions is fun for the history.

Looks like you got the raw end of the deal there - email this morning saying theyre closed till May 2nd

You’ll be able to walk on to any muny (+ riverside) course as a single and get on pretty fast. Go to Lions for 5800 yard quirk and Morris Williams/Jimmy Clay for a full length parkland experience. Go to Butler Pitch and Putt because it is so cool. Swing by Hancock and get a quick nine in, then go play Riverside, and you’ve will have played 27 of the 45 holes which have comprised Austin Country Club through the years. (ACC’s posting “1899” everywhere has always seemed a little misleading, I believe that 1899 distinction also belongs to Mr. Hancock!) If you want to see really good hill country golf, make the drive out to Delaware Springs or Lighthouse Country Club (Delaware Springs is a GCA legend for those who care). And go to Wolfdancer only if you want to play a pricy resort course (it’s still v fun though).

Hopefully they grow in. Still conflicted onto if it was worth $14 or not. Had we known the greens were messed up I think it definitely is. Was cheap and still a fun course.

1 Like

Anyone have any experience recently with Plum Creek? In Central Texas for a wedding this weekend and a group of us are getting out there Saturday morning. We tried to book Falconhead, but it was immediately booked until the afternoon.

Oh i loved that for a fun shorter course when we lived in Victory Park - since it was probably rhe closest public track.

It’s alright. The green tees are actually easier than the blue tees, even though they are further back, because they remove some awkward angles for drives. Greens break almost not at all, so don’t be too respectful.

I didnt love it - but ill stan kissing tree like 20 mins further south from that in San Marcos…

1 Like

Kissing Tree is one I play a lot when I’m down there. The guys didn’t want to pony up the $100+ to play it.

1 Like

Don’t play Morris Williams or Clay at the moment. The greens are gone to shit.

4 Likes

Lions Municipal
Falconhead

1 Like

@HellerHighwater is your Produce River guide.

3 Likes

@Jarrizle Plum is a great place for an easy weekend round. Tips will stretch to 7200 yards I believe, greens might have a bit of poa on them (but what course here doesn’t currently), but they typically run well. Good handshake par 4 to start then off to the races with a par 5.

Good bar, decent enough rate for a morning time typically, and they could give two hoots as to if you have a fivesome so long as you keep pace.

Coffee place that shares the parking lot is also decent if you need a wake me up morning of.

2 Likes

Im in Amarillo for work Tues- Thurs. Any interest in meeting up for a round Wed afternoon?

In case anyone wants an update on the new Driftwood course in Austin (sorry for the AMP link):

Driftwood Golf and Ranch Club close to completion (ampproject.org)

From the story, a quote that deserves a spot on Fazio’s grave: “And the story goes that the 17th hole, a par 3 over a long water hazard, was fairly approachable in the original sketches, with only a little water coming into play. Organizers met with Fazio and explained that to create something special, an investment of about $1 million would be needed to create a larger lake leading up to the putting surface.”

5 Likes

Jesus. Idk what the original hazard looked like but a subtle creek would’ve worked wonders.

3 Likes