A thread for the Texas folks

well this is……something? Watch this story by Pine Dunes Golf Resort & Club on Instagram before it disappears.

5 Likes

Missed it. But id assume it was cringey AF

Hit her 40 ft birdie putt to 2 feet, so sick

2 Likes

Todays video from her playing yesterday and stopping with the chip in the air is legendary levels of crappy.

1 Like

BUT DID YOU KNOW SHE WAS MAKING 7 FIGURES BY 30 AND USED TO FIGURE SKATE DURING INTERMISSION AT THE STARS GAMES?!

:nauseated_face::nauseated_face::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

3 Likes

I’m heading to Big Cedar with the fam in a few weeks and playing Ozarks and Top of the Rock. Anyone have any tips for Ozarks or anything else we should do while we’re there? The Tom Watson putting green looks sweet, but I can’t imagine that it’s free

1 Like

Putting course is free! But it’s a journey to get there. It’s next to the mountain top par 3 course which isn’t central to the resort. I went last summer and this is my rundown of the golf

1- Payne’s Valley slaps. It’s very fun and scenic. Don’t get too lost in the woke architecture sauce.

2-mountain top par 3 is fantastic. Best played in the evening with the sunsets and drier conditions.

3- Ozarks National is a little overrated. It’s very penal, will eat a lot of golf balls, plays pretty narrow. It was probably my best played round of last year and I still didn’t like the course very much. I will say that it had my favorite firm and fast conditions of the courses.

4- top of the rock par 3. I’d probably skip this. It’s very expensive and not near as fun as Mountain top. Less views too.

5- we didn’t play Buffalo Ridge and that’s a regret. For many people, it’s their favorite at the resort. I’d rather have done that then top of the rock.

Off the course - at all costs, avoid Dolly Parton’s stampede. That’s all I’ll say about that.

We did rent a boat with a guide for tubing and swimming on the lake. That was very fun. Highly recommend.

Food wise we didn’t have as much great stuff. Most of the stuff at the resort is just average. There’s probably better stuff in town that we just didn’t make it to.

Biggest note: the resort is massive and the roads are incredibly confusing and no one really likes to give directions. So budget at least 20-30 minutes to drive anywhere.

3 Likes

Great info, thanks! Ozarks was pretty much the only thing available as far as tee times, but I’ve heard similar things to what you said. I’ll see about playing mountain top instead of top of the rock. 150 for a par 3 course seemed outrageous, but heard good things. I’ll see about getting that changed. Thanks again!

1 Like

Did you have a caddie or anything at Ozarks? I saw online where they recommend that

We didn’t have one but it probably could’ve helped navigate some of the tee shots. It’s not critical though. The carts have gps. Maybe take one if you’re walking.

And I don’t mean to poo poo ON. It’s still one of the best courses ive ever played. Keep it in the fairway and you’ll have a fun day.

1 Like

Going to attempt to alter the direction of this thread as I’ve become slightly weary to reading shit talking to a course 95% of us drive 2+ hours to play once a year.

1. Wow, another Texan wins the Masters.
    Must have been some party at Royal Oaks Sunday night.

2. What courses are making significant changes, modifications in your area?
    I know Woodbridge in Wylie is under new ownership and has really taken the Axe to some tree lined fairways (5, 8, 17) and taken an eraser to dozens of bunkers. Real neutering going on at what was once home to the North Texas PGA.

3. What’s the best golf shop in your Texas section?
    I’m newer to Austin-Central Texas and still haven’t found anything other than the corporate box stores in this area.
    When I was growing up, there was a sick Edwin Watts off Preston/Alpha down near Northwood.
    Best selection of clubs, lefties, all the goodies in that shop. Miss the Watts.

4 Likes

We have a couple PGA Tour Superstores within 20 minutes or so from my house, that’s always my go to as they’re huge and have a pretty good selection, especially when it comes to women’s clothing for my wife.

My home course is making a lot of modifications right now. They’ve added new tee boxes to two of the Par 3s to lengthen them, removed a couple of trees (but not the one I hate the most) and I believe there’s some more plans once those are done. It’s not enough to keep me there for a long period of time but I’m glad to see they’re making adjustments.

1 Like

I’ve only been there a couple of times, but I’ve had great experiences at Golf Ranch in Georgetown. Definitely more of a local feel than a big box store. Highly recommend going to Loren there if you’re looking to get fit for clubs

1 Like

Leonard’s in west FW is the best one stop shop. Best range for just practicing and it’s enormous. Solid chipping/pitching area. A very solid putting green and an additional green for both putting and short chips if everything else is crowded. The golf shop is really really solid. They’re brand agnostic, will do outdoor Trackman fittings, and any club work that you ask them to do. It’s a good spot.

5 Likes

Which course is this?

Tomball Country Club

It’s not anything to write home about but it works for us for the moment. They could really do with trimming back some of the trees around a few tee boxes and it would be nice to have a driving range but as an easy way to just get out and play some golf, it’s perfect.

Houston’s getting a new 9 hole course in September, and I know there’s some interest in setting up weeknight games once it’s up and running. They’ve posted the most updates on Instagram if you want to stay in the loop: Login • Instagram

5 Likes

Second on the shoutout for Golf Ranch in Georgetown. A mom-and-pop operation with a very experienced fitter.

1 Like

Woodbridge is now owned by the same company that owns Bridlewood, sky creek, and west ridge. I’m a member at Bridlewood and they’ve done a tremendous job improving the course, conditions, and facilities since they’ve taken over. Our memberships are now on a lengthy waitlist. I would give them a couple years but I bet you’ll be pleased with what they do. They also inherited a clubhouse that was completely destroyed by a broken pipe during the great freeze as I understand it.

1 Like

For the DFW guis, I played cedar crest this morning. The greens are in horrible condition. Mostly mud or dirt with some poa sprouts mixed in. They did only charge $14 to walk, but it was in truly horrible condition. The rest of the course was in great shape, though.