A thread for the Texas folks

I’m a big fan of Buckhorn, some fun holes and a pretty low stress course.

I was ready to win the scorecard playoff but when they sent us to the first tee I quickly crumbled with a 3 putt bogey.

Hard to beat 4 hour tournament rounds though!

3 Likes

Commanche Trace looks awesome. Is it private? I don’t see anything on the website about booking tee times other than stay and play packages

Yes

Hey everybody. We just moved to DFW last week from Chicago. Very interested in some sort of league near Allen. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

80% of the people I play with seem to like me. I’m a pretty easy going guy, simple conversation, I don’t get in anyone’s way. But then there are the other 20%. I irritate them, it seems. And I think it’s 4 reasons that kindle this:

1. I walk.
  2. I’m a single digit handicap.
  3. I play from near back tees.
  4. I’m left handed.

I can play just as fast as a twosome in a cart. But for some reason, I get the guy that just wants to act like I’m putting them out. I find it sad for them. The pro shop has no problem with me walking as long as I keep up, which I do.

Anyone have these issues as well??

4 Likes

I had a similar experience. I was playing twilight golf as a single with my push cart. Things are going great, hardly see any other golfers, and most people just let me play through.

Finally hit the point all of us do, where it’s a 3 some waiting for a foursome. One of the dudes says, “You can play through if you want!” I say, great thanks.

“Or you can play with us…” he says.

“Sure,” I say, “I’ll play with you guys.”

“Cool! You can hop on my cart.”

“Uh, nah man, I’m still going to walk.”

“no, I can make room, look!” He already has a huge cooler on the passenger seat, I don’t know where the hell he thinks I’m going to put my bag + my push cart.

“No dude, I’m walking because I want to walk, this isn’t like punishment or anything.”

He gets butthurt, and kind of throws his hands in the air, so I just tee off and go ahead. This isn’t a course with huge gaps between holes, so not sure why he got angry. It’s not like I held them up, after I finished two more holes they were still stuck 2 behind me.

2 Likes

I get people that give me weird looks when I’m walking and we’re paired up, but that usually goes away once we start the round and they see I’m usually waiting for them. It usually winds up in a conversation and them saying how they want to start walking sometime.

Really wish walking the course didn’t have such a bad/weird stigma to it.

7 Likes

Anyone here play on Fridays in San Antonio that I could join?

Usually in the morning/midday. Would be great to make some golf friends from the refuge.

btw, Old Brack is my happy place, and I love to walk it when it’s not 100 degrees.

1 Like

DFW Folks, a WhatsApp group has been created. Easy place to get tee times and see if people want to play, amongst other things.

3 Likes

Have a twosome booked at Waterchase Sunday (7/25) for 7:30 am. My friend bailed so I have one open for any single that wants to join up. Send me a DM

Anybody played Bear Creek before and have any opinions on it?

I hadn’t played there for a couple years until last weekend, but I was pleasantly surprised. We played the East course, and it seems like they have done some work out there, and the conditions were pretty good.

2 Likes

The State Open is being contested in Tyler at Cascades this week. Some very interesting names on the leaderboard.
John Rollins
Martin Flores
JJ Killeen
Johnny Football
Tony Golfball

Keep an eye on the leaderboard -

2021 Texas Open Leaderboard

Willing to take on some side action!

Also saw a T. Romo and C. McCoy

I figured Tony Golfball was Tony Romo

4 Likes

Waiting for Ron Mexico to make an appearance

I have a few friends in the field.

Cheering on Charlie Holland and Case Cochran.

If you want to see something fun, go look at Nathan Tyler’s (co-leader) scorecard for today. Shot a 62 w/ two bogeys…

Case is an Aggie, like seeing him play well.
@ebitduh that is a sick card, nice find.

1 Like