A thread for the Texas folks

Man I was a field engineer for a hospital renovation that summer. 110 degrees outside and going down in the basement where no HVAC was installed was absolutely brutal. That was the end of the “office personnel must wear slacks to job sites” bullshit.

1 Like

2011 pissed me off because we had 40 consecutive days above 100 when our record was 42 days set back in 1980. If we’re going to live through that kind of hell…then lets not settle for second place!

I remember the day it broke because we had a trace of rain pop up over the airport midday and it broke the temps just long enough and we didn’t recover before sunset to get back above 100. Then a day or two later we had a good rain shower and temps stayed down before the rest of the month was 100+ on into September.

At least we hit most days above 100 in a single year though and (I think) many of those days reached above 105 too.

3 Likes

This was my first full summer in Texas (we moved to Waco in Aug 2010). Let me tell you, the summer of 2011 will live in my memory as the biggest ‘what the fuck am I doing here’ era of my life.

3 Likes

It was so awful, and it started right after my youngest was born and I had resodded the back yard. The child made it, but the grass didn’t. This was in my golf dark period so I just bunkered down and got fat sitting indoors.

5 Likes

Dug through Weather.gov archives. The August 2011 data is staggering:

Average High: 104.3
Average Low: 82.5
Average Temperature: 93.4 (7.8 degrees higher than our historical August average)

• 30 of 31 days had a high temp of 97 or higher with one day tapping out at 89 when we received .86" of rain.
  • 10 of 31 days had a low temp between 85 and 89.
  • Of the 71 days above 100 in 2011, 21 of them were above 105.
2 Likes

I remember interning in Austin over the 2011 summer and just being blasted by heat when going from building to building. It did become normal after awhile, but I don’t recall trying to do much of anything outdoors.

You misspelled Trinity Forest.

1 Like

2011 was when I discovered that all-weather gloves don’t only work in the rain

3 Likes

I was playing Raveneaux Country Club (about to be turned into a retention area) pretty often in 2011 and it got so bad at one point that you could hit your ball in what was supposed to be a lake but there wasn’t any water. Scored pretty decently back then though.

4 Likes

2011 was probably the summer I played the most video games as a kid. Don’t think I touched a club much

1 Like

2011, Lubbock had not one, but two different significant runs without traceable rain. 72 days the first time and then another 53 days later that year. It was like playing golf on concrete fairways. Thank god for that hundredth of an inch of rain in July though, that really saved us.

All time worst summer.

My fellow Texans - hop on over to the Texas Cup charity raffle page and buy some tickets! $5 per ticket, unlimited entries allowed. Some pretty awesome items up for grabs!

1 Like

Will be playing Pine Dunes for the first time tomorrow. Planning on getting in 36. Looks like we’ll finally have some dry weather. I’ll report back the conditions to prep those going to the Texas Cup in early June.

5 Likes

Thanks Bmich! Would be awesome if we can get a game going and would be happy to follow your lead on that if we eventually are able to tee it up. @DuckDuckHook was kind enough to share some ideas / thoughts on courses I can play at and am likely to go out to Old American today to spend the day out there practicing / playing. I’ll be here till Saturday (flying out in the early AM so Saturday itself is a no-go) so am pretty much available any time / day from now till then. Hope we can play!

1 Like

That was also the year where my not long ball hitting self drove it past a par four at Rawls. On the 11th hole, my drive rolled on/over the 12th tee box. No big deal…

Same here
Just 18 tho

Just booked a 2:50pm 4 spot for this Sunday at Cedar Crest if anyone wants to join. Feel free to slide in the dm’s

Pine dunes is awesome
As @djpie once said “tight tight piece of property”
I am sure it’ll be awesome for the NLU CUP
if it would stop raining it’ll be really really good shape

If you can find the fair way you’ll score
If you can’t well enjoy the beer

Someone will shoot a 65 or better over the NLU CUP

3 Likes

65? Net?

I’ve seen a few of the guys going play
I could see a 65 or less
And I’ve heard them talk about others that are going