A thread for the Texas folks

Gonna be hitting Steven’s Park next Monday on my way back from Tulsa and have 2 spots open in a 1240 tee time. Who wants in?

Hope you have a good time. I might can play Friday but can’t commit yet. I am on the FW side of DFW, so some recommendations are Rockwood, Fossil Creek, Texas Star, SkyCreek Ranch,and Waterchase. As far as the Dallas side, will defer recommendations to others as I haven’t played over there recently. Expect a lot of greens to be in rough shape right now because of our bad winter weather.

Bent greens by and large did fine despite the harsh temperatures (Lakewood, e.g., greens are in fantastic shape). Zoysia fairways got hammered (Trinity Forest, Las Colinas CC). Many with Bermuda greens suffered some as well (Royal Oaks, at least the ones that aren’t under water).

Picture this: the year is 2025. The TOUR allowed Trinity to stay as Byron’s host course, and they’ve decided to pair up the DFW tournaments with Houston in October. The new Texas swing features firm and fast versions of Trinity Forest, a Gil Hanse-restored Colonial, and Memorial Park. Golf nuts are flocking in to witness awesome courses on Saturdays while maybe getting in a Cowboys or Texans game on Sunday. Who knows? A world series may even be in town. The sports world focuses on Texas for nearly an entire month.

Sorry, sitting at my office watching DFW turn into a lake during Colonial week has me dreaming of better things. Alas, this will never happen.

2 Likes

2027 the tour will be in DFW for 3 straight weeks
Nelson
PGA (Frisco)
Colonial

4 Likes

Texas Star is so good … anyone know how the conditions are out there?

Right now, the answer to everything in the 'plex is . . . WET.

4 Likes

Stop. Raining.

5 Likes

When I heard Soly talk about this, my reaction was that he didn’t understand the magnitude of the hold football (at all levels) holds on Texas in the fall. I’m not sure you could get volunteers and paying spectators for three tournaments in October.

2 Likes

Don’t play Texas Star on a hot day with a south wind. Right next to a landfill and you legit can’t breath it smells so bad.

3 a&m games in October so Houston is out
UT plays tcu baylor and OU in october

SO just based on those alone October isnt a great plan for the PGA in Texas

2 Likes

This reminds me of 5 or 6 years ago when it rained every day for two months…

2 Likes

lets not forget about each NFL team having roughly 2 home games a month to deal with…football is King

1 Like

I totally understand the take on football, which is exactly why I think the tour will never allow this to happen. But I think there are a couple things here.

1. We are short selling the sports nut’s capacity to take in more than one product in a weekend. The world series takes place every year in a similar time frame, and they never seem to be worried about coinciding with these games. They host their event then because it makes the most sense when it comes to ideal weather situations. As a Rangers, Cowboys, and Sooner fan, I’ve always seemed to find a way to manage all three. In fact it’s even more exciting when they all coincide.

2. There are a combined 14 million people in the Houston and DFW metroplexes. I would believe they would still have a large enough market that people would go.

3. I think we would all agree that the weather is vastly superior in the fall time frame. It would seem to me that they would help themselves in getting better players if they could give a much better guarantee of it not being either 95 degrees and humid or having a large number of rain delays and nearly unplayable course conditions.

I will say, I digest sports at a rate that is borderline unhealthy, but I think just saying “football is king!” Is not good enough to say that golf shouldn’t happen in Texas’ peak golf conditions.

2 Likes

As excited as I am for this, I am already expecting a ton of people to ask “Why are they playing three straight events here in May when it’s a high probability that there will be serious weather delays?”

I think it all changes when you have kids and the fall schedule is dominated by not only their stuff…but then college and NFL football on top…so may instead of Football is King…its Football is King + Kids are a time suck…

Yeah, I was actually thinking of high school football (plus college and pro)

2 Likes

I moved here (Dallas) may 1st of that year from out of state and it rained every day that month. That was a depressing time as 3 of those weeks I was waiting on my wife to move down with all of our stuff. I had an air mattress, tv on a stand (Keurig box), and a PS3.

2 Likes

It wasn’t as bad as the summer of 2011, where it didn’t rain and stayed above 100 for every day for something like 6-7 straight weeks.

7 Likes

I never thought I’d beg for a 105 degree July day but here we are. So sick of the rain. I got enough sunscreen and water to handle the heat, but I’m an absolute mental midget when it comes to rain and mud and slop.

1 Like