A thread for the Texas folks

A spot or two open at Rockwood today at 10:40/10:50 if someone wants to join up with the Refuge meetup

Playing Pecan Hollow at 9:23 on Sat May 15th — the other two spots are still live online if anyone wants to join up!

1 Like

Strapped DFW would be so hard… there is so much value and you could really do one in Dallas one in Fort Worth and one in-between. Good problem for us though!

4 Likes

I’m in ATX but will be visiting Houston this weekend, and will have time to squeeze in a round or 2. Anybody have any public recs in north/northwest Houston?

Woodforest -fish creek is pretty great. There’s 27 holes but the “front 9 and “back 9” are the best. I haven’t been there in a while but it users to be one of the best public options in all of TX

1 Like

Woodforest -fish creek is pretty great

Private club now

Cool

Hello, just finished up my short golf trip to the Dallas area and wanted to chime back in with a review. We nixed the Cowboys course as it was only offering the VIP experience on weekends and we didn’t want to spend the ~$230 to play the course. Maybe next time. We ended up at Rockwood in Ft Worth. They have a temporary clubhouse at the moment but looks like the new one is nearly finished and looks awesome. The staff at Rockwood was pretty nonchalant and bordering on unfriendly, which I would prefer over a staff that makes you feel uncomfortable I guess. I found the Rockwood course to be pretty difficult at times and seems like a course you would play differently the second time around. I overall loved a lot of the holes, some of the drop offs by the greens are silly. There was some rain prior to last Saturday so it was a bit wet but overall a really pleasant golfing experience as the course was not busy at all for an 11am tee time Saturday and in decent shape. We paid $59 with cart, which I would compare to some of my Chicagoland courses as a very reasonable price for the quality. Really fun time, thanks to @Rudy for the suggestion.

3 Likes

Glad you had a good time. As a resident of FW who has played the rock several times your assessment is right on. Every time I play I tweak my strategy. It plays the best when its hard, fast and windy. Lots of birdie opportunities but if you short side yourself it’s an automatic bogey. The staff have always been grumpy old dudes but they leave you alone for the most part. Some of the greens are a little slow to come back after the harsh storms we had but hopefully the recent rains will help. It definitely plays harder than its slope rating. Fun course for a decent price.

3 Likes

High Meadow Ranch or Blackhorse would be the best courses. Cypress Lakes is always nice but the water can make you not enjoy yourself and I heard they re-did Jersey Meadow and heard its much better but cant confirm.

2 Likes

Glad you had a good time. I’m planning to play out there at the end of the month and am looking forward to seeing the progress on the new clubhouse. There are definitely some sick run off areas. The area left of the short par 3 on the front (5 I think) immediately comes to mind.

2 Likes

Jersey Meadow is dope now. There’s a few boring holes but it’s a lot of fun.

4 Likes

Will have to give it another shot now

1 Like

They have my favorite driving range/chipping green area of the local public courses. The only problem is that they’re busy all the time, just like every other public course around, but with only 18 holes instead of 27, stuff starts to stack up.

Update:

Have a spot that just opened up at Texas Rangers for Saturday 5/8 @3 pm. Played it a few times when it first opened and just went back for the KFT event a couple weeks ago. Excited to play it again (from the one up tees #strapped). Let me know if anyone wants to join me!

Wish I could join. I played it about a month ago in 20-30 mph winds. Really fun track. Enjoy!

I’m looking to sign up for the Dallas amateur bc id love to play Trinity Forrest. I’m trying to figure out if I should play in the gross or net division. I’m a 3.2 handicap and I’m worried that I’m going to be either out of my league in the gross division or that I’ll get sandbagged in the net division. Looking for advice from anyone that’s played in it or tried to qualify before.

1 Like

From a fellow “low but definitely not a scratch single digit handicapper,” you’re correct on both accounts for these tournaments. The gross flight will be won by a score that’s really good, almost always under par. The net division will be won by some 9 handicap shooting 71 on his own ball. Nothing you can do. Go out, enjoy the day, enjoy the nice course, enjoy the nerves from having to count every shot.

2 Likes

In the net division if you net out to a 75 you’ll move on to the next r round