A thread for the Texas folks

I played Squaw Valley a couple weeks ago. Greens were terrible. Such a shame because both of those courses are really really fun to play.

any dallas area folks want an old Sun Mountain push cart (free) …it just needs some new tires or maybe just tubes for the tires and a major scrub down. DM me if interested…

1 Like

Just had a TXGA event at Lighthouse canceled for this coming weekend, due to conditions. My dad played Legands (shouting distance from Lighthouse) and said the greens were wrecked - bald spots, spots of HUGE grass pops (I assume the surviving bermuda popping in isolated spots and over-growing). I assume the same at Lighthouse. Said it was pretty sad.

I played at Falconhead last Friday afternoon and they were largely undamaged from what I could tell.

2 Likes

Falcon head and Avery ranch’s greens survived the freeze.Sorry to hear about your event.

3 Likes

Hey everyone, my name is Drake and I am out of Tyler, Tx. Glad to meet you all.

8 Likes

For you nesticles in the ‘plex. Colonial tickets are on sale now. Attendance will be limited and there are no standard grounds badges this year. However, the $175 premium daily grounds badge includes food, beer, and wine all over the course, which is pretty sick. I have tickets for friday, Saturday, and sunday so let me know if any of you guys are gonna be out there.

4 Likes

Can’t wait, I got tickets for Friday. Gonna be nuts out there.

3 Likes

Welcome Drake.

Are there any good public courses in the Tyler area (besides Pine Dunes)? I grew up an hour south of Tyler and I still visit some.

1 Like

I typically alternate between Pine Springs (very casual atmosphere) in north Tyler off of 271 and Oak Hurst in South Tyler going towards Bullard. I live in the apartments at the Cascades so I have a membership there through that, although I’d like for my game to be better before I start playing there regularly as the atmosphere is a lot more “high end” I guess. There is also Hideaway Lake up towards Lindale but I’ve only played there once.

isnt hideway private?
Garden Valley on the west side of Lindale is nice (or at least 2 years ago it was)

Think Garden Valley was hit pretty hard with the snow storms as well (sensing a trend for us in North Texas). Normally it isn’t a bad option if you’ve got some time on 20, and the back 9 is definitely more inspiring than the front.

I agree with the back 9

Tempest in Gladewater gets good reviews. I’ve wanted to get out there forever.

Thanks. Coming up 69 from the South, Bullard is a lot more accessible. Will have to look into Oak Hurst, though I’m not necessarily a fan of “high end” either. Will have to consider what “East Texas high end” might look like.

2 Likes

A lot of older money, typically oil & gas business owners that struck it rich in Kilgore but didn’t want to live there, so they moved to Tyler. I will say though I have met some of the nicest helpful people out there so it varies club to club.

1 Like

Yeah, when I was growing up there (long ago), Tyler was the big city in the area. Definitely the old money city area also, though I guess many parts of the country wouldn’t consider 1920s and 1930s as very old money.

1 Like

All nesticles meet at the 9th green at 9:00 (am) friday morning.

1 Like

I got tickets for Thursday. Convinced my wife to come–it’ll be her first golf tournament ever–and I figured Thursday will be more low-key and relaxing for her. If anyone else from here will be these Thursday let me know!

1 Like

No clue how to just jump in here. First post. Dallas local. I mostly just do the muni circuit around town but been meaning to get onto the Refuge. I’ll keep lurkin’

14 Likes

The Tempest is best bet if you cant get on Pine Dunes or want to pay $100 for 18 holes. Oak Hurst is a cool course but the greens are always bad. It use to be super nice 15-20 years ago but has gone down hill, and the same with Garden Valley. Pine Springs greens have gotten a lot better and its like $50 on weekends. Id play there before Oak Hurst just because of the greens. Hope this helps.