A thread for the Texas folks

Tops for me gotta be 6 w/the mega false front, Biarritz at 10, 14, and the semi-punch bowl at 15.

1 Like

Green site at 14.

2 Likes

Agreed on all of those especially 6, it is one of my favorite holes I’ve ever played so many scores possible on such a short hole. I also think 3 is pretty fun with its length

1 Like

For sure. One of those ones you gotta spend extra time throwing chips off the different slopes after you putt out.

Sherrill Park isn’t bad. They have two courses. Course #1 is longer. You can get out there for similar price as PH, and have more availability due to having two courses.

Let me know if you need someone to join!

2 Likes

I know it’s short notice but we had a cancellation for tomorrow.
I got one spot at 8:03 at Irving open. Any takers

I’d be happy to join if the spot is still open!

It’s yours!!

1 Like

Since I love pain, I will try again this year. Need to start practicing my 220 yard par three shot for the way they set up the back nine.

2 Likes

On another note, I went out to Stevens and slipped in a nine yesterday evening. The greens feel sadly similar to when they had to completely redo them a couple years ago. Any grass experts out there? If the freeze got them good enough, will they never recover? It’ll be a shame if it goes back to being in poor shape. The tee boxes are fairly depressing as well.

1 Like

I was out there on Saturday evening and I couldn’t agree more. Has to be lingering effects from the freeze, or at least I’d hope.

I was out there two weekends ago and someone had driven a golf cart over the foot tall curb on 10 down into the creek. We asked one of the guys working if that person was drunk and they said they sure hope so, otherwise they are just a dumbass.

I think it’s a problem across Texas. I just heard today that Squaw Valley in Glen Rose, which has two of my favorite course in the area, had to close to redo their greens.

Rusted Rail out in Crandall is closing their greens starting in May and adding temp greens until the old ones are fixed… they didnt cover the greens during the freeze…

SIDE NOTE:
I hope whoever finds my nest towel enjoys it… lost it somewhere between 15 and the parking lot at Irving yesterday…

Depending on the type of grass they have on them. Some grass can recover from a freeze (mostly ones that do well in cooler weather). Anything that requires heat is often killed by cold and can’t recover from it.

Full transparency, I know jack squat about grass. The only knowledge I have is from talking with my boss, who is a former groundskeeper and has a degree in agronomy.

My club in Waco has bentgrass greens and they came through okay. Much of the grass around the collar of the greens, however, is in ROUGH shape

Bentgrass is considered “cool weather”, along with rye grass. Bermuda on the other hand…does NOT do well in cold weather. Most places (thinking soccer/football fields mostly) will overseed their Bermuda with Rye so it stays green all year long.

We went out to the Tribute today and I hate to report that the freeze did that place dirty. Large brown patches all over the fairways and the tee boxes, weird neon green patches of dead grass on the greens. Place is still awesome but it was a bit sad to see it in the shape it was in.

2 Likes

Damn, that’s sad to hear. Considering playing it next month when I drive down, but assuming they’re still charging full price I might end up waiting on it. Still love that course

Our afternoon tee time was $55 which is what they were charging last year. I think that before the damage done they were up to $60 or $65.

1 Like