A thread for the Texas folks

Hello Texans!

We had a few late drops from the R4, April 24th, 2021.
If you’d like to make the drive up to Ardmore, OK and play historic Dornick Hills, the home of Perry Maxwell, sign up! $100 for golf/food/fun is a STEAL.

3 Likes

Gotta check on the work schedule, but very interested!

2 Likes

best place to go hit balls in austin? would like to find a place where I don’t have to hit off matts.

That’s getting harder, as the ranges have been overrun with so much traffic that they can’t grow grass fast enough. Morris Williams, Clay/Kizer and Avery Ranch have all gone to mats for at least part of the week.

You could go to the place I use (Harvey Penick) if you prefer hitting off dirt to mats. Sometimes you get lucky and there is grass.

The best I have found is the one up in Round Rock near the intersection of IH35 and 45. It’s a huge area, so you can almost always find grass. Plus a separate wedge range, a large chipping green and a putting green. What I like is that they have lights, so you can do evening practice in the winter. Getting less important every day, though.

3 Likes

The Driving Range (effective name I guess) in Round Rock off 35 is probably the best in the area. But I agree with @ObscureReference, it’s tough to find real grass to hit off of since COVID hit. You love to see it in general, but makes it hard to practice your wedges.

1 Like

Round Rock is the “best” out there. I do like hanging out at Mo Willy since they redid it, but only on grass for the weekends.

1 Like

The best range area in town is Grey Rock - they completely re-did the range teeing ground and it’s flat and grassy a HUGE, and got new balls (still shitty, but new shitty) about a year ago. That said, they play off mats M-Th, and sometimes Friday. I find their mats to be ok, better than most, but still mats. The practice green is nice, but nothing exceptional.

I was just out at the Grey Rock range a few months ago for the first time in a long time. What happened to the chipping area? Didn’t they have a big chipping green lots of different terrain/grass and a bunker or two?

Once a Chester, always a Chester.

They had one at the end of the range, yeah. They did away with it in favor of more grassed teeing area. They did add a second chipping green by the practice green, and I think the members range (other side) has a bunker to play out of.

Hi @Maz
We have an Austin / San Antonio whatsapp group with about 20 of us. If you’d like to jump in there you can DM me your details. Good place to talk about all things golf and you can typically find a weekend game in there.

1 Like

2 Likes

Looks fun. Might have to sign up for that.

Not totally what kind of reaction this will get, but here goes:

Hello friends, I used to be a fairly active Refugee before the limitations on non-Nest members were put into place, and this is my first visit back in a little while. With that being said, this is gonna sound very out of the blue and may not pass the vibe check. My name’s Andrew Tan and I am a junior golfer who lives in the Austin area. I will be playing in the AJGA’s Texas Cup coming up on April 23-25, which is a conglomeration of some of the best junior players in Texas, meeting up for a weekend of golf, all supporting a good cause. It’s sort of like an NLU Event, except without any woke people. I am raising money leading up to the event, and all proceeds go towards the AJGA’s ACE Grant and Austin’s Cap City Kids foundation. Y’all are by no means obligated to do anything, but any support, even just a dollar or two, is greatly greatly appreciated. I will post the link below if you are interested, even if you just want to take look at what it’s all about. Crack on!

https://www.leadershiplinks.org/texas-cup/AndrewTan?tab=Dashboard

7 Likes

“Except without any woke people.” made me chuckle. Good luck!

4 Likes

Looking for strapped-friendly ish places in/near Plano. Loved Pecan Hollow last time I was in town. Any other recs close by? How’s Ridgeview Ranch?

Can’t go wrong with Ridgeview, pretty solid. Indian Creek(creeks course) should be pretty close and is always a good one too. Watters creek is pretty decent as well, make sure it’s the traditions course not the players cause that’s a short practice course.

2 Likes

Ridgeviews greens are terrible rn I must say. But if you go in with a strapped mindset it might not bother you.

If you want a bit of a drive The Bridges in Gunter (35ish min) is a lot of fun.

3 Likes

I second this^^^. The Bridges has some sick green complexes too.

3 Likes

What’s your favorite green?