A thread for the Texas folks

Beautiful day and weekend in DFW! Heading out to Cedar Crest this afternoon. Play well this weekend everyone!

3 Likes

Coming to DFW next weekend and playing Pecan Hollow for the first time. What’s the full course like? I’ve gathered that it used to be pretty rough but has had a makeover at some point in the last couple of years?

Haven’t played it this year, but it was one of the best condition public courses I played last year. The greens were as good as anything double the price. It’s a fun course that can get you into some scoring trouble if you’re spraying it. If you’re planning to walk you can’t until after noon. It’s a semi tough walk only because there’s some distance between a few of the holes (especially at the turn).

1 Like

Went to Pine Dunes in Frankston for the first time yesterday and played 36 holes. What an awesome place. Didn’t play well at all the first 18, but turned it around for a solid second round.

Combination of great weather and an awesome course made for a great day.

4 Likes

It wasn’t super windy up there? I thought about playing yesterday (in Austin) but it would have been comical.

not too bad! The early part of the morning round was a little rough, but once the sun came out, it wasn’t bad at all. I’m sure being surrounded by trees doesn’t hurt

How were the conditions? They usually keep it pretty top notch. I’ve got a guys trip out there in May that I’m stoked for. It’s become the spot for our yearly golf trip now.

Pretty solid given the recent bad weather. Tee boxes were kinda rough, but the greens were rolling really well, and the fairways were consistent and greening up. My friends have shown me some pictures from mid-summer last year and it looks pure.

I played Cedar Crest for the first time this afternoon. Layout is great. I don’t think i have ever played a course as firm as it was today though. The greens were unreal fast and borderline unfair. On 4 I had a 10 footer uphill that i hit a foot behind the hole and rolled back to me twice. Had 2 birdie puts inside 12 feet that turned into bogeys. I like firm and fast and don’t need a green golf course but it was brutal today.

3 Likes

#4 green can get out of hand when the green speeds are up. I have putted it off the green down onto the fairway before.

Don’t be afraid to go back. I’ve played there a few times this year and the green speeds aren’t typically that fast. They vary a bit because they don’t get cut everyday.

2 Likes

I agree with this. When it’s in good shape, its really nice. Played there last week and the greens were rough. But once they get the greens right, its easily one of my favorite places to play in Dallas.

1 Like

I think 4 would have been unplayable if the wind would have been blowing the opposite direction because there is no way a golf ball would have stayed on the surface.

I would go back but it’s on the other side of town for me so I don’t think I’ll be out there for a while. I can definitely see the attraction because there were some really fun holes and the ball was bouncing and rolling all over the place. The 2nd shot into the par 5 on the back (14?) is wild.

I was out there last night, and had similar thoughts. #4 was a beast, and the whole place was rock hard. I’m actually a big fan when it’s in good shape, but it was rough. $13 to walk after work is such a deal.

That is a really good par 5. Did you cut it over the trees trying to get there in two? You can try and get there, but if you don’t you’re so out of position, possibly under those big old trees. Tastefully laying up to the left and playing a wedge in is the only way I walk out of there with par or better.

1 Like

If I have an angle I always go for it. That green is so small that with my wedge game I need to be up close to even get my third on.

1 Like

I hit my drive down the right side and it funneled down all the way to the left. I had about 185 in and wind was crossing from the right. I decided to choke a hybrid so I could get it up over the tree. It was comically too much club and I was expecting it to be on the road. Luckily it ended up in a good spot and i hit a really good chip to 10 feet, birdie putt rolled 12 feet by and ended up with bogey. I couldn’t talk myself into a layup from that yardage and couldn’t figure out where i would even want to play it in from. I do really like that hole. I don’t think I have ever yelled “stop” at my golf ball so much in one round.

1 Like

Been there, been there. Whole different style of golf

Quick heads up that the 2021 Golden Age Classic thread is up.

1 Like

Cedar Crest is closed for Aerification… with the talk if it being so firm will this soften them up any? I know nothing about greens keeping so thats why I ask

Anyone found someone to help with a ball fitting? In the Dallas area.
Or is it easier to just get a sleeve of a few abs try them on my own