A thread for the Texas folks

If you’re looking in the North Texas/DFW area I know of a lot of people moving up to Prosper which is about 25 min north of Downtown Dallas. Location near the new PGA of America and Frisco which is next to it has a ton of golf to play.

1 Like

In general what’s the skinny about rural areas around DFW? North, South, East, West, are they all similar or are some of those areas stand out bad or good?

I’m talking like just outside the metro area rather than burbs

Are you saying like 20 miles outside of downtown or even farther?

I’d say farther is fine, ~1 hr away is probably the limit. So maybe 45 miles or so.

There are a few interesting areas to look at in those ranges.

North:

Celina is a town that runs on their HS football much like a pan-handle west Texas town would, straight shot North from Downtown Dallas and going to be closer to more golf courses, directly north of Prosper, most convenient and honestly in the next 10-15 years probably won’t be nearly as rural as it is now even if it is anymore.

Melissa is more Northeast of Downtown but about the same distance as Celina. Closest suburbs are McKinney & Allen which are very family centered communities, also a lot of golf in that area including a gem of a public track Heritage Ranch. Pretty easy to get up to some really cool places along the TX/OK border like Broken Bow and Lake Texoma. This would probably be my pick of the bunch I just really like the terrain Northeast of DFW.

Argyle is a popular one too. Interestingly enough I believe Jason Witten is the new head football coach out at their private high school now. Seems to be some great prices for land and form there you have good access to FT Worth, Dallas, and Denton.

East: Places like Terrell, Van, Kaufman, Forney. I am not as versed in these places but just here of people moving out there for cheap land.

South: Waxahachie, Midlothian are both places that you can get a lot of land for cheap. Waxahachie has mini suburb vibes to it, Midlothian is going to be more rural.

West of Dallas is Ft. Worth and then west of that would be somewhere like Weatherford, I know absolutely nothing about that area though.

I don’t know if you have any interest in living on a lake, but there are quite a few lakes that are in that range of 45 miles outside of DFW and all of them normally have some golf located pretty close to them as well. Cedar Creek has a decent course on it from what I hear and if my geography is correct it would be pretty close to everyone’s favorite Pine Dunes.

Please any other refugee feel free to correct any of these that I have posted

4 Likes

From a golf perspective, Glen Rose (SW of Fort Worth) has an awesome 36 hole public track called Squaw Valley. I’ve only played the Apache Links course, but have been trying to find the opportunity to drive back down there and play all 36. Cleburne is a decent sized town not far from there. It has what you need (grocery stores, restaurants, etc.) but certainly still the small town vibe. Cleburne has a decent course on the lake there as well.

1 Like

Dallas folks - @DuckDuckHook, @therealmarkymark and I are playing Cedar Crest at about 1:30 today. A different friend was supposed to join but he’s bailing. Do any of you want to skip work and join us?

Hello TX folks, I am visiting a friend in the Dallas area and he suggested that we play at the Cowboys Golf Club in Grapevine. I was wondering if it’s worth it or what people’s experience have been at the course. Thank you!

Guess it all depends on what you’re looking for. Where are you going to be staying?

I’ll join

2 Likes

After playing Rangers this weekend, I’d say y’all should play the other sport-based golf club in the plex. Fantastic design.

1 Like

I would much rather play rangers than cowboys. The cowboys course is nothing special, though conditions are always top notch. You are paying for the unlimited food, drinks, and the private club experience. There are probably 6-8 courses in the DFW area that are more fun in my opinion. I think that sentiment is generally shared on this thread. Here’s a quick ranking of top 6 in DFW. There’s some disagreement on the order but I don’t think anyone on this thread has anything bad to say about any of these.

Rangers
Old American
Stevens Park
Texas Star
Tierra Verde
Rockwood

1 Like

It’s a good course, in great condition, and a fun experience if you have a full day to make out of it. Is it worth the cost is really up to the individual and probably a little bit tied to if you’re a big Cowboys fan or not.

I agree that the Rangers course is better (more strategic and surprisingly hilly for DFW), just without the full experience as they’re still working on completing the clubhouse.

Good news on this point: the clubhouse is opening this weekend. Just in time for the KFT.

It was a sad point when they teased us with it on the tee last Saturday. “Should have come here next week!”

1 Like

I think the clubhouse is supposed to open in the next couple weeks. I’m hoping to make it out to the KF event there in April.

Thanks for the suggestions. We’re staying at a friends house in Dallas, and the group isn’t as into the golf course architecture scene and we’re not that great at golf in general. We do have a full day to enjoy the course and while it sounds like I definitely need to visit again for the full golf experience the Cowboys course will check the boxes we’re going for

Good to hear! I’ll have to make a point to get back there soon.

Makes sense. It will be a great place to have a couple beers and enjoy the day. Make sure you give us your review afterwards!

Love to see this considering I’m taking a couple customers to play Rangers this coming Friday.

1 Like

Barring the weather, you’re in for a treat. They’re doing a bit of preservation (I would bet for the tourney), so be prepared for a few cartpath-only holes, especially the ninth, which will require a bit of waiting/jogging to your ball.

4 Likes