YOTB Presents: The Blade Challenge

We talked about it in the other thread, but the general idea is that you don’t need to necessarily tip the course out but it should definitely feel longer than normal. Par 4s should be more uncomfortable and par 5s almost definitely shouldn’t be reachable in 2.

1 Like

The biggest benefit will be the “shock to the system” syndrome. At least the first few times you try it, you’ll be in such different places physically on the golf course, and mentally with decision making, that you’ll likely find yourself playing better. It’s like putting cross handed for the first time - you don’t have ANY expectations, so you just let athleticism take over. I’m hoping this will be the same. Don’t try and hit 4i 250 yards. Just hit it where you normally do, and then enjoy the new challenge of getting to the green from there.

6 Likes

One way to figure out your “correct” tees is to take your 5i distance, in my case around 180y, and multiply that by 36. That gives me 6480y as the “correct” tee for my game. That said, I generally play around the 6100~ tees because I’m a highcapper and 6500y~ just makes me hit longer clubs in on par 4s.

I’ve yet to break 90 normally, so if I could do that with just blades, I’d be thrilled.

I’m always in on dumb golf games, especially when blades are involved.

8 Likes

As a newly minted member of a club with a fuck ton of water all over it, I am in.

Mr. Hogan is teaching me proper ball striking but I’m a terrible student.

2 Likes

Love this idea. Did it a couple weeks ago but had the super trampoline 790 3 iron in the bag as a driving iron. Gonna be a lot tougher without that thing but excited to try!

2 Likes

@samba24 Let me know if you want to get out with me sometime and try our hand. My MS-3’s are overdue for a round and I bore witness to your artistry at Makefield. It was inspir/aspirational. There’s a course I have in mind, Neshaminy Valley Golf Club that’s pretty manageable from the tips and would be a fun place to try this at.

1 Like

I’m the guy who shoots 88 from 5900 and 88 from 6400. I’d probably need to go back to 6800 or so to really feel it.

That would not be fun.

3 Likes

Oh man, I just shivered at the thought of setting out to do it with a Refugee on the same day and them accomplishing it, but not me.

I’m not sure if knowing @zhanson38 is going to beat me to it or if seeing @JScore do it on the same day will hurt me worse, but I’m absolutely pissed already.

9 Likes

This is probably going to ruin my game, but I’m in!

My normal irons are T100s, but I’ve got a set of KZG blades I used to play. They’ve got some wicked offset on them, so it’s going to be a challenge to go back and forth, but why the hell not!

1 Like

I’ll play back at my course, just over 6500 yards. The tees are currently up in a lot of spots because of winter, but once they go back I’ll give it a shot.

Great question. I’d estimate my 4 iron (longest club before woods) is about 60-70 behind my driver, 40 behind my 3wood, 15 behind my driving iron.

I hit driver on every hole (because #sendit) except where I just can’t because of hazards on the hole - 1, 9, sometimes 14.

So the “adjusted” yardage would be about 700-800 yards longer? Maybe? 4 iron also might run a little farther if the fairways are firm, so who knows.

I’m both excited that I might find out how I can score with just irons, and terrified to find out how much I rely on driver.

6 Likes

Will simulator scores be allowed for those in non-favorable weather conditions (only course that is open around me tips out at 6,200)?

Maybe a simulator tax of 3-5 strokes?

I would be jealous but applaud the accomplishment of achieving the Bladey Eighty. Plus then we’d have the additional checks and balances of signing the scorecard. Considering we both had tough days with the full bag though we’ll probably have the Pointy Sub-Nointy (sorry I’m not as clever as @RobertHunter) in our sights.

1 Like

No sim. You can absolutely count a 6,200 before you can count a sim.

11 Likes

I am 100% up for the challenge and I look forward to efforting on this with you in the near future.

1 Like

I think Thrubs said it best, something to the effect that you’ll know what is a legit yardage or not, and if you think it’s not legit, it ain’t.

I’m planning on attempting it from the same tees I would normally play, which is the tips at my home club (6,300 par 70).

4 Likes

I guess I’m now in on this. And since I literally just agreed to buy blades from @RSK, I have no clue how far I hit them, so this will be fun.

4 Likes

Precisely. It’s all in the game and we’re all golfers here, I think.

I’m not going to fight anyone over this, much like I’m not fighting anyone over the blade. Don’t be a ween about it. You gotta look at that merit badge every time you walk past it. Do you really want to be thinking about how you played from 5,000 yards or snuck in a driving iron?

If you do, you need to reassess your participation.

8 Likes

To me, this is not a blade. Concur?

2 Likes

Correct. Absolutely not a blade. And some of these are that clear, which we have covered at length in the official YOTB, but some have lead to more discussion.

I am not anyone’s dad, here or in YOTB. Everyone needs to use their judgement accordingly and if they’re really stumped, they can ask. Everything in my book is on the honor system. We’re all adults here.

9 Likes

I hope you’re a couple people’s dad, or else your missus might have some explaining to do

6 Likes