Waveland Breakfast Ball Club: 2024 (Chicago, IL)

My course handicap is -1 from the red tees, this game of tilt is going to be a bloodbath

2 Likes

Icarito

3 Likes

Last time I played with @treeputttim I hit for the psycho card cycle on a stretch in the middle of the round.

Screenshot_20220816-090247

6 Likes

I have a FF draft that night too. Wednesday or Friday would work

Stats! Didn’t feel like calculating everyone’s red tee quotas and couldn’t readily find that info. Implied quota works the same way though, just deduct your worst counting score from your RTW quota and that’s your implied RTW quota.

3 Likes

Every week when you post this

Helen Sick Tommy Boy GIF - Helen Sick Tommy Boy Youre Sick - Discover & Share GIFs

8 Likes

Friendly reminder if anyone wants to join in on the 18birdies tourney/leadboard, I believe you can use the below link or search WBC’s Red Tee Week on 18birdies. Somehow @PinkPantser got it to work so I assume its working.

1 Like

team –

if possible, it would be fun to take a picture with the whole league before we tee off tomorrow. like a “team picture”

tomorrow may be my last day playing breakfast ball. baby coming next week, then my move a couple weeks after that.

it’s been a real bright spot in not just my golf life, but my chicago experience to play golf at sunrise with all you sickos.

finding a group of people to golf with before work was my main motivation for getting onto the refuge to begin with. i have wasted countless hours on this stupid website in the time since, but a group of people to golf with before work was indeed found. and more.

thank you all for making it more fun than i ever could have imagined.

(and thanks @djheadley for actually doing the work!)

16 Likes

Meeting up with you, @PinkPantser and @TheAbeFroman was huge for me getting through '20. Thanks for hounding the GM for months and the start and stops until they opened the lakefront.

WBC will have to invade your new territory from time to time, as Chicagoland folks do.

6 Likes

I will happily be there early to send you off! WBC is what truly pulled me into the refuge and taking over for the Founder was great. Shoutout to the OGs @ChiFFI @PinkPantser and @TheAbeFroman for starting one of the hardest clubs to join in Chicago.

6 Likes

It’s truly a Private Club that allows some public play

9 Likes

Lets all shoot to get there around 5:45?

Calling out everyone who is not in the first group to get there early.

@rmbartell @TheAbeFroman @JAD @Ballgame @BabblingBrooksKoepka @FlapjackNickelsack @TrajMahal

9 Likes

Aye aye captain. See you there bright (or not so bright?) and early!!

Just pasting this in here for those who dont feel like clicking the link

Scoring

(Net scores)

Double bogey or worse: -4 points

Bogey: 0 points

Par: 2 points

Birdie: 4 points

Eagle: 8 points

Albatross: 16 points

This is all pretty standard. Things get exciting when you make a net birdie, which officially puts you on TILT. Your next hole is worth 2x the points, so a (net) par will earn you 4 points instead of 2. The same goes for the negative points. If you make (net) double or worse, you lose 8 points instead of 4.

The real fun comes in when you really get hot. Two net birdies in a row puts you on Triple Tilt, and your next hole is worth 3x the amount of points.

A net eagle is essentially treated as two birdies in a row. If you make a net eagle (assuming you’re not already on tilt), you earn your 8 points, and you bypass the 2x to get a 3x bonus on the next hole. If you’re already on 2x Tilt, and make a (net) eagle, you’re now on 4x playing the next hole.

A net par takes you off Tilt, and makes your next hole worth the normal allotment of points.

Let’s go through a scenario.

Example

After a par-bogey start, Neil is getting dialed. A lung dart on the 3rd tee has him refocused, and on the par-4 3rd, he makes a comfortable 4 for 3. He collects his 4 points for the net birdie, and walks to the 4th tee officially on tilt. He makes a natural birdie (without getting a stroke) on the 5th, and seeing as how he was on Tilt (2x), that birdie is worth 8 points (4×2). He heads to the 6th on 3x! The nerves are real, and he pumps one OB. The arms assume the normal surrender cobra position, followed by the shoulder slump that we’ve seen oh so many times. Neil makes a 10 footer for double, but the damage is done. He loses 12 points (-4×3), and falls back to the pack.

2 Likes

Because I’ve never had to do this before (and likely never will again), plus handicaps add shots starting on the 9 handicap correct? Meaning I would need to make a 1 for 2 (assuming that’s the 6th hole) to keep a tilt going?

5 Likes

That is correct

tenor-3

5 Likes

Been meaning to talk to you all about overdue Dues.

3 Likes

Are we posting Gross or Tilt Net quotas?

A sad day indeed. We will let you skip the normal initiation process should you return.

But really, breakfast ball will go down as my favorite golf league/club/whatever I’ve been apart of for as long as I live. I give full credit to @TeddyPargame for getting it going. I think we had ~16 people interested at first in 2020 and only the four of us showed up that first year. Favorite part of year 1 was having to show cops our tee time receipts and then physically moving police barriers to play

I’m pretty sure my wife still doesn’t know I play in this league because I’m home before she is awake.

13 Likes

Net tilt

1 Like