Tumbleweed Two Ball (Phoenix, AZ): 2023, March 4 - Aguila Golf Course

That’s up near me in NW part of the valley. Honestly the best baseball junkie move is just go see a practice session. Cool chance to see a group of pitchers throw some pens, and hitters take BP. Best part is it’s Free.99 vs $35+ for GA lawn tix that everyone seems to charge nowadays.

1 Like

Quick Reviews. Slide into my DMs for all the hot juicy details.
Don’t mess with Maryvale, Laveen, Avondale, or South Phoenix.

PHX Map

1. Downtown Phoenix. Good food, Solid Bars, Decent music Lots and lots of apartment and condos for Air BnBs. Only place that I would consider remotely “walkable” if you wanna chill out or not rent a car.
    Restaurant Recs: Larder and the Delta, Wilderness Brewing, Harumi Sushi, Roughrider, the Pemberton

2. Midtown/Uptown Phoenix. More lowkey the downtown. Tons of good food and more laid back taprooms. Easier to get around. Lots of Air BnBs.
    Restaurant Recs: Shortleash hotdogs, Hana Japanesse, Dick’s Hideaway, Mekanzie’s, Southern Rail, The Green Woodpecker

3. Arcadia/Paradise Valley. A bit more upscale than the two phoenix locations. Depending on where you are staying could get a sick mountain view/location. Lots of great food and restaurants.
    Restaurant Recs: Doughbird, the Attic, Whatever food truck is at Wandering Tortoise, Vecina

4. Tempe. Home of the Arizona State Sun Devils and the greatest per captia of underage drinking and alcohol poisioning. I know I did my share. Some of the absolute best Chinese and Indian food in the area. Lots of phenomenal brewery’s (Four Peaks, The Shop). Angels, A’s, Cubs play closeby. @Jpop942 Would be able to give the ins and outs.
    Restaurant Recs: Chuckbox, Four Peaks, The golden Pineapple, Fate Brewing, Haji-Baba, Chou’s Kitchen

5. Scottsdale. I’m lumping this all into one. But you got lots of options. Oldtown if you wanna make a big ol trip of it and go out in the evenings. You can stay further north and have access to some really geat hiking trails. Home to the Rockies and Diamondbacks Spring Training.
    Restaurant Recs: Haven’t explored here much. Goldwater, Brat Haus,

6. NW Valley. Quiet suburb. Don’t know much about the food scene here. I only put this so @KMola14 doesn’t fight me. Padres and Mariners play mega close. Shortish drive to Royals, Rangers, White Sox, and Dodgers. FYI if your booking says Sun City you will be the youngest person there by 50 years.
    Restaurant Recs: Probably a Chili’s or a Denny’s /s

7. Chandler. Downtown Chandler has some really solid restaurants and bars. Very chill area. Also close access to Southern Dunes if you want to experience one of the better courses in the area.
    Restaurant Recs: Truland Burger, The Sleepy Whale, Jinya Ramen,

Locals feel free to flame my takes. I am a dirty Phoenix hipster and have a mega slanted view.
Anyone else DM me with questions or comments.
The refuge has helped me out so much when I have gone and visted other areas, so always willing to return the favor.

7 Likes

can confirm, but these are pretty god recs

2 Likes

@KMola14 I know Dale R (who competed in the match play and last years Super Bowl Cup) signed up on the spreadsheet after I mentioned this to him. Not sure if he reached out to you about that or if you got with him to confirm his spot.

I might have already asked you this and forgot, but what’s the word on Wren House Brewing Co? A guy that started up my grad school research group is a co-founder.

2 Likes

10/10. Some of the absolute best brews I’ve had. The spellbinder is one of my all time favorites.
The brewery location is super good as well. Lacks of some of the extras and infrastructure the big boys have but, the brews and atmosphere are enough to make up for it.

4 Likes

No way! It’s hands down my favorite local brewery. Their stuff is fantastic. Mind asking him about the timeline on their Ahwatukee location? They’re opening a spot less than a mile from my house and I’m itching for it to get up and running…

2 Likes

@DryHeat

Looking to play a very casual afternoon round, potentially a practice round at Aguila?

2 Likes

I am out Friday, unfortunately

1 Like

Want to? Yes.
Able to? Unfortunately, not likely.

1 Like

I should be able to play. Have that Friday off, since I am working over the previous weekend.

1 Like

Shot a 78 with four birdies and triples on 1 and 18 today. Textbook handicap management. The new driver feels better and better and I’m pumped for next Saturday.

5 Likes

Can’t triple em all if you don’t triple the first

6 Likes

:rotating_light: :rotating_light: Tumbleweed Teams Announcement :rotating_light: :rotating_light:
@RolandOfGilead & @beriganr
@JSimo & @GeneralTSo
@samba24 & @Nacho
@matthew823 & @Daler75
@JosieWon & @BrysonsLats

7 Likes

:rotating_light: :rotating_light: Tumbleweed Teams Announcement Cont’d :rotating_light: :rotating_light:
@pushdraw & @Jpop942
@grantmurphy309 & @m3saros
@jknudtson & @wiz
@Landonhitch & @Waffles
@ComfyDouble & @Breakfast_Ball_Hite
And myself vs everyone/emergency backup teammate

7 Likes

Are we naming these teams?

1 Like

Team naming and scripting not required, but feel free to get the creative juices flowing

2 Likes

League is on notice. Dreamteam levels coming right here right now.

3 Likes

Also was there any larger team event or all just two man v every other squad?

In the meantime, please download the Golf Genius app if you do not already have it. We will testing out using this for live scoring, with backup paper scorecards.