Why do you love golf?
The reasons have changed a bunch as I’ve gotten older. I think I love golf now because of the challenge, and the never ending process of self-improvement. I love the people I’ve met, the competition (when I was playing competitively), going for a nice walk outside, and countless other aspects of the game, but now it’s really the game itself. It’s hard to replicate thrill you get when pulling off a shot exactly how you imagined it in other venues.
What was your introduction to golf?
My dad would occasionally take me to the local driving range and putt-putt complex when I was 4 or 5 years old. We’d play putt-putt then hit balls on the range (they had a bin of junior clubs they let kids use). My parents ended up getting me a set of junior clubs for Christmas soon after that. I think I got a bike for Christmas that year, so it was a really good haul. They took me out to the local par-3 course a few times the following spring, and I was hooked. Looking back, I’m kind of surprised I started so young, and played so much as a kid. My parents aren’t big golfers. They never belonged to a club. My dad has never played more than once or twice a month. My mom has ever played more than 5 times in a year. My paternal grandpa, who I never met, played a ton so maybe that’s where the bug came from.
When did you fall in love with golf?
I’ve fallen in and out of love with the game throughout my childhood. I loved laps at the local par-3 course ($7 round with a $1 replay rate) when I was 6-10 years old. I went from needing a driver on every hole, and now wouldn’t take more than four clubs. I think the most I played was 5 times in one day. I’ve probably played it over 100 times, and still have all the holes/yardages memorized. I loved being independent, feeling older than I was, and meeting people I’d have never met otherwise. As I got a bit older, I played all the time at a pretty great semi-private course. The pro there ran an awesome junior program that’s produced loads of college players, and the course offered a cheap junior membership in conjunction with it. There were summer days where I’d get dropped off at the course in the morning, play 18 or 36 holes, eat lunch, hit balls, play a couple loops of their 3-hole par 3 course, putt/chip, go to the junior class, eat dinner, then play a twilight nine. Those days were fantastic. Because of the junior program, there were always other players my age around the course to play with, and we’d often end up playing in the same groups at local junior tournaments. We’d sometimes play super low stakes money games, and feel much older than we were. I fell out of love a bit in high school playing the junior circuit and high tournaments. I was a bit immature, got angry often, and basically stopped playing golf after my sophomore year of high school when I felt totally burned out. I’d still play a bit with my family, but I went from frequently playing at least three times a day to maybe playing three times a year my last couple years in high school.
In college, playing with friends reignited my love for the sport. Notre Dame has two courses on campus that are super cheap for students. One is a 9 holer (it used to be 18 but half was built over as the school needed more dorms/academic buildings) that cost less than $10 with a $1 replay rate. It was usually wide open in the morning, and as long as we weren’t out too late the night before, a friend and me could play a quick nine before our 10:30 classes. The other course is an awesome Coore & Crenshaw design that’s hosting the US Senior Open next summer, and the greens fee was less than $25 for students. We didn’t play there as much, but it felt like a treat when we got over there. We’d also play a scramble tournament with six or so foursomes at the beginning and end of the school year while sneaking beers onto the South Bend munis. When I finished college, I didn’t know many people in the new city I moved to. Golf helped me make friends there. Since then, I think I’ve reached that @djpie “surf-like golfing state.” Although I still love playing with friends, most of my rounds now are solo, and I can’t remember the last time I’ve actually written down scores on a card (but I still can remember every shot from my last round). I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed the actual game more.
Did you ever work at a golf course?
I caddied for a couple summers when I was 13/14 years old. The club didn’t have much of an established caddie program/culture, so there were a few weekends where I’d be the only caddie there and still not get a loop. The Monday playing privileges were worth it though. The lack of regular loops, especially during the week, led to me working at a grocery store as regular summer job in high school instead of sticking with caddying. Looking back, I wish I stayed with it another year, and then tried to move to being a cart boy or something similar when I was old enough. Hopefully the caddie experience will come in handy when I caddie in a Symetra Tour event next weekend.
Did you watch a lot of golf growing up? Who were your favorite and least favorite players growing up?
I watched most of the majors, and would occasionally flip on Sunday of normal tour events. I started as a big Tiger fan, then moved to Phil (and consequently rooted against Tiger) around the time Phil won his first Masters, came back around to Tiger in the next couple years, and like them both a lot now. Being from KC, I’m also a huge Tom Watson fan even though he was on the Senior Tour most of my life. I got a ball from him at a Senior Tour event, and would sometimes see him eating at the local Mexican restaurant (pro golfers, they’re just like us!). I remember being completely in the dumps for the entirety of my grocery store shift the same day he lost that Open Championship.
Highest moment in golf?
I won a couple KC junior tournaments which are probably the highest “on-course” moments. I also qualified for a few big national junior tournaments, and had a national ranking (I have no memory of what the number was). My favorite golfing moment, however, is probably a trip to Australia last January. I played a bunch of the Sandbelt clubs (still waiting on the launch of Tourist Sauce so I can relive them) over the course of a week. Despite not playing very well while I was there, I had a blast. The GCA stuff here and from The Fried Egg helped me enjoy some of these courses a bit more.
Lowest moment in golf?
Probably ejecting from my competitive “career.” I was pretty burned out by the end of my sophomore year, basically stopped playing, and decided to run track in the spring instead of playing golf (I already ran XC in the fall). I don’t think there was a single moment that led to it, but I realized I wasn’t having fun playing competitive golf anymore. Outside of occasional rounds with family/friends, I completely stopped playing. I was a bit of a hot head back then, and wish I had the mental state back then that I have now.