Still have a ways to go on absorbing everything in this episode but I wanted to leave this here for @KVV
I can’t let @tron slide for his Wawa take in which he essentially says that its interchangeable with Sheetz.
I will concede that the Wawa coffee is not better than DD. Anyone that says that is wrong. The coffee at Wawa probably has a higher floor than DD, but a much lower ceiling. The correct power rankings of Mid-Atlantic/NE coffee is as follows (I’m not including Starbucks since that’s truly national):
- DD
- Wawa
- Anywhere else
- Sheetz
Also, Wawa beats Sheetz for food every day and twice on Sunday. The only food that is consistently edible at Sheetz from location to location is their breakfast. Everything else is all over the place depending on the location. Wawa’s food is consistently average across all locations.
I ride hard for Wawa (their chocolate chip cookies are sneaky good, and don’t even get me started on my favorite seasonal culinary treat- the Gobbler bowl) BUT I love that Sheetz has deep fried things. Love getting an appetizer box of cheese curds, Mac and cheese bites, popcorn chicken, etc… on road trips.
I don’t care how much hate flows but my list will always ride with Made to Order Sheetz Fries/Sandos:
- Sheetz
- Buc-eee’s
- Wawa
- UDF
- Kum n Go (not #refugeafterdark as my Iowa friends know Kum & Go: Where & Means More (kumandgo.com) )
Does @randy want to speak on his supporting of Russian Expansion? I feel like this was glossed over.
We have Wawa here in Florida and it’s fine. But I’d put Gate, Racetrac and Quiktrip above it in a heartbeat. They never have what I’m looking for from a snack perspective.
“What’s your power ranking of natural disasters?”
Are we nearing peak TrapDraw?
I can’t speak to any of those. As such, I’ll defer to your take. I’m certainly open to the idea that Wawa is not the GOAT. I just consider it the GOAT because it’s better than the two other main options around here (Sheetz and Turkey Hill).
The big debate in PA is always Sheetz vs. Wawa. Like a lot of things, people are tribal in their allegiances and if they grow up going to one that’s their favorite and are inherently biased for it and against the other. I consider myself an objective arbiter because I didn’t grow up going to either. There were no Sheetz in our area growing up and only one Wawa that wasn’t convenient to go to. My first true experiences with either were in college.
Sheetz’s coffee is just terrible to me, so that’s a big turnoff.
All things being equal, the quality of the food is probably not different. But, as I said in my initial post it’s not equal to me because from my POV the consistency of Sheetz seems to vary so much more from location to location.
Most of my roomates from college (in PA) moved to Florida after graduation and they were pumped when Wawa started to expand into that region.

Feel like on this thread and on the pod the quality and cleanliness of Buc-ee’s bathrooms is being criminally ignored. There just are not better roadside bathrooms in America.
Edit: I get Tron gave some love to the bathrooms but it just wasn’t even enough. You could safely get open heart surgery in a Buc-ee’s bathroom IMO
Once they have a climatologist on to breakdown their top 7 natural disasters in a 3+ hour pod…that’s when we will know they’ve peaked.
Buc-ee’s were started in my hometown so I ride hard for them. They also only had one big location right before the beach that sold all sorts of beach shit back in the day. Growing up they were just nicer corner stores or gas stations. It’s wild and awesome to see what they’ve become.
Buc-ee’s doesn’t fuck around with cease and desist letters/lawsuits either. Anything with a beaver, yellow circle black background has them coming for your ass.
The Disney of gas stations
Bucky the beaver also rocks his hat Jesper Parnivik style. Don’t know if @Tron mentions that.

The QC Area has gotten like 6 new KwikTrip’s in the last couple years and let me tell you, they are truly wonderful.
Re-posting my Buc-ee’s take from the Texas Cup thread. I get the appeal, but I HATE stopping there when I travel. It’s a “nobody goes there anymore, it’s too crowded” thing for me. The exit ramp is always backed up. Even with a million pumps, you’re often waiting, and if not, it’s still a zoo navigating to the pump. And it’s the size of a grocery store inside - yeah there’s a lot of cool shit, but I just want to pee, grab what I need, and go. Especially when traveling with kids, if we stop at Buc-ees, it can be a 30-minute stop. No thanks, pardner.
I will forever ride for Casey’s sir, but KwikTrip is a close second when out of range of a Casey’s.
For us, we usually plan out a stop at Buc-ees near the beginning of the trip. It’s definitely not somewhere we stop halfway through. That way we can load up on all the snacks/drinks/blankets/whatever we want for the trip at the place that has the most options and get on our way.
I have bought both a fire pit and a grill from Buc-cees though…
Or get this, you could pack all of that stuff from your house/grocery store before your trip begins and not even need that stop.