The Walk in the Park - 72 Holes, 7 Clubs, 2 Days

Ladies and gentlemen… sickos of all ages…

May I present to you the newest event from @OhioAgainstTheWorld:

72 holes. 7 clubs. 2 days.

Inspired by Opens of old, myself and 11 companions will attempt to play 72 holes of golf across two days in late September, carrying no more than 7 clubs.

Where: Potter’s Park Golf Course, Hamilton, OH.

• Potter’s Park is a nearly 100-year-old muni in my hometown of Hamilton, OH. It has little to no architectural legacy, except for cool WPA-era stoneworks around the property. That being said, it has a set of five exceptional par-3s, plays to just under 5400 yds. and a par of 69. It’s a very easy walk, and you’re not going to lose many golf balls.

• Hamilton is my hometown, and I’m very fond of it. Yes, it’s earned the moniker “Little Chicago” for its drugs/violence/housing issues, but it’s steadily been growing out of that over the past few years. Spooky Nook, a massive indoor/outdoor sports complex, just opened last year and brought tons of business, including a number of breweries and eateries, which we will visit after one or both of the rounds.

When: Friday, 9/27 and Saturday, 9/28. Tee times begin at 9am & 2pm each day.

• Take a couple days off and play a ridiculous amount of golf with your Internet golf sicko buddies. Just do it.

Cost: $200

• In the interest of full transparency, this includes: 4 rounds of golf ($50 for Friday, $72 for Saturday), tee gifts & prizes (we’re not necessarily going all-out, but I promise you won’t be disappointed), and a $32 donation to the Hamilton Community Foundation’s “Friends of the Parks” fund (which, for 12 players, is just under $400 - we’re walking in a park, let’s do our part and be generous to those that have made this possible).

• It may seem a bit expensive up-front, but I’m trying to make sure you get the best value for your money. That being said, if price is an issue for anyone, please reach out.

Format: 72 holes of stroke play, with prizes for Gross & Net champions.

• The twist: half-sets only. That’s right - pick your favorite 7 and fire away.

• Walking only! #makegolfexerciseagain

Other Important Info: Due to the nature of the event, the amount of daylight we have, and because the first U.S. Open only had 11 players, there are only 12 available spots for TWITP.

• The sign-up period ends August 27th at 11:59pm. I know we all have lives, some of us have job/family obligations that come up last-minute, so I’ll refund 100% of your entry fee if you withdraw prior to Monday, 9/23. Withdrawals on or after the 23rd will receive a refund of their greens fees only ($122).

If you have questions/concerns/cheap shots, feel free to reach out. This is my first foray into running an event through the NLU circles, so I’ll issue a preemptive mea culpa for whatever screwups happen between now and the final putt.

Hopefully, a few of us can get together, have fun and play a ridiculous amount of golf; I’ll get to show off my hometown a bit, and we’ll give back to the local parks system.

21 Likes

Signed up. When we pay using the using the unknown golfer invoice how much is being skimmed off the top?

1 Like

Disregard, was user error

2 Likes

Looks like they take about 3%

1 Like

That isn’t so bad. Do they have an option for paying outside of Unknown? I would rather give you straight cash homie when possible.

I had that same issue. For others reference I had to login to the app on my phone and sign up then. Doing it without being logged into does not seem to work.

3 Likes

Glad to know it wasn’t just me. I tried to sign up 10 separate times and just gave up. I’ll try again later.

2 Likes

Signed up and I’ll agree with this take. I’d rather all our money go towards the course and the parks.

2 Likes

Do we know if Venmo takes anything off? I’m cool with whatever, even if it’s legit cash day-of. I didn’t know about the Stripe fees until today, I just did that to try to keep everything in one place.

Regardless of whether or not anything gets skimmed, I’m still going to make sure the course and the parks get their full cut - the remainder that goes towards tee gifts & prizes might take a little hit, but if I have to pay a bit extra out of pocket it’s no big deal.

1 Like

Venmo does not take anything off.

2 Likes

Sweet. If guys would rather use Venmo, you can send the entry fee to @albatracegolf

1 Like

I already paid with stripe. I will bring you $6 in snacks to the event to cover the CC fees. Live and learn!

2 Likes

Can’t commit that far out but it looks like a great event!

2 Likes

@Gobrownies09 you mentioned signing up, but it still only shows me and @smithburger on the list of players in Unknown.

Paging @jgolf1 for potential help. I’m probably screwing something up but I have no idea what.

1 Like

Just signed up. Logging into my Unknown account instead of clicking the link is what worked for me. Looking forward to it.

2 Likes

I haven’t paid. I wonder if that’s why.

1 Like

I’m thinking that’s not the issue, just because I was able to sign up without having to pay myself $200 (and subsequently pay Stripe about $6), but my name shows up on the registration list.

It looks like you signed up for the Findlay event around the same time, did you intend to do that? (Please, by all means, play in that too. Just thought to look at the list of players for other events and saw you signed up for that today).

1 Like

Yes.

2 Likes

Is this only for 12 people, then?

2 Likes

Yes, just the first 12 to get signed up. Then, if someone does have to back out, there is a waitlist to fill vacated spots. The decision to do that was partly because of time limitations, and partly just for the sake of having one more player than they had for the first U.S. Open.

It’ll be a small event, but it’ll hopefully allow everyone to get to know everyone, and then in future years we’ll show some partiality to those who haven’t played in it before.

1 Like

Just completed registration. You all are in for a treat.

2 Likes