The Super Bowl Cup (Phoenix, AZ): 2022, February 11 - Aguila Golf Course (Players Finalized)

Hi there, now that we have the date, course, and price finalized, I just wanted to follow up to see if you’ll know by the end of the month if you will be able to make it.

Also, @Waffles @samba24 @Jbass32 @seanp1386 @JosieWon @Bradmaybee @chearnen13 @nanderson33, please confirm by the end of the month if you are able to participate as well.

Thanks everyone!

@KMola14 - This is awesome, I wish I could make it. I will be working at the WM that day so I won’t be able to get away.

I am in! Thanks for putting this together - looking forward to meeting some golfers

1 Like

Confirmed in on the spreadsheet, looking forward to it!

2 Likes

Confirmed in!

1 Like

Been away from the refuge for a bit but if there any open spots I’m 100% in, tried editing the spreadsheet but didn’t have any luck.

1 Like

Awesome. I went ahead and put you down for a spot.

If you’re still having issues you can just tell me your handicap and favorite NFL team. We got one more NFC spot to claim, and then everyone else will be AFC haha.

1 Like

I got the spreadsheet to work so updated everything. Not the hugest football fan, but from Washington so when I do watch its the Seahawks. If there needs to be rebalancing I’m fine to be moved around as well.

So as the resident high handicap I’m curious how Alt shot works? Is whoever I’m paired with SOL or are is handicap factored in?

Since you’ve confirmed you’ve gotten the last NFC spot haha.

Since it looks like just a pretty straightforward Par 3 course, we will play the morning rounds straight up.

You’ve also just given me the idea that we should designate Team Captains, and they can plan out the order they want for their team during the afternoon singles.

Any Team Captain volunteers?

If we are playing straight up, I would like to preemptively apologize to my playing partners on the day lol.

If we’re playing straight up should we group matches based on team handicap? It’s golf so anything could hypothetically happen (especially on a par 3 course) but if two scratch players are together and are playing a team of 10-15s then that would be kind of unfun for the higher cap team right? Alternatively we could just handicap the matches though I have zero idea how to do that with alt shot.

I won’t be able to make it to this after all. I really wanted to attend the first official roost but I will have to wait for the next one.

Since I will always have to drive in From Vegas. Weekends will always be best along with the occasional Monday or Friday on a 3 day weekend.

Looking forward playing with everyone next time.

1 Like

So I went ahead and made a few minor adjustments to the teams, and added an easier to view team handicap comparison to the spreadsheet.

Also, our current head count is at 22, so let’s just shoot to find 2 more people and cap it at 24 players.

2 Likes

Just for simplicity/fairness, we can have the first two round groupings be based on handicaps.

For the afternoon singles, we still need a volunteer captain from each team to announce the pairings during the lunch break before play starts.

If I remember correctly, we can do this two different ways:

• Ryder Cup Way - Captains blindly pick the order of their 12 players without knowing who they will be paired against
  • Presidents Cup Way - Captain 1 picks a player, then Captain 2 picks who will go against 1’s pick. Then Captain 2 picks a player, and Captain 1 picks who will play 2’s pick. This “snake draft” continues until every match is set.
1 Like

Not to throw a wrench in but I was hoping to play the morning round with my non-refuge friend since I invited him. I don’t think it would make that much of a difference since our handicaps are close enough.

As for the singles matches I say the Ryder Cup way just makes life simpler so I’d vote for that.

I don’t see that being a problem. We can mix and match as necessary to accommodate and +1 invitee pairings.

Not sure if this has been hacked out, but I’m happy to volunteer

@JosieWon as low cap on the AFC side, you down?

Just my $.02 which might go against what has been discussed so far – but why don’t we do random draws for the par 3 matches, and then do handicap matches for the singles matches…I think heads up with a like hdcp would be better than a random draw

EDIT: sorry, I scrolled down and this is a dead contradiction of what was being talked about…

1 Like

Another option as I think about this more is to bucket each team in to 3 “pods”

0-4ish (4 guys from each team)
5-10ish (4 guys from each team)
11+ (4 guys from each team)

Then random draw, so there’s still the element of random, but the matches will be pretty close in handicap

haha yeah, I think for the first go around for this event it would be best to keep it a little more traditional and fair.

To mix it up in the future it could be cool to do the Presidents Cup snake draft model for the Par 3 rounds. That way the Captains could maybe roll the dice and put a mid to high cap team against a low cap team and hope their gamble pays off haha.

1 Like

I’m cool with this as well, just to add a little bit of randomness

2 Likes