The Super Bowl Cup (Phoenix, AZ): 2022, February 11 - Aguila Golf Course (Players Finalized)

Congratulations in advance to you and Mrs. damn_speaketh

1 Like

Signed up! Been following NLU for sometime but new to the refuge and new to AZ.

3 Likes

Alright, at the moment we’ve passed the 24 person mark, so shooting to cap it at 28 (7 foursomes, 14v14).

@BattleBornGolf I am contacting the 500 Club Golf Course today to try and get the tee times finalized.

Looking like a 7am shotgun start at the Futures Course to help make sure we don’t back that course up too much since we will be doing 2 loops.

Then we will be going to the 18 hole at 12pm. So there should be a nice little break to grab some lunch and a drink with everyone (food not provided haha).

Update: the 28 tee times starting at 12:04 pm have been booked for the 500 Club.

Waiting on an email from the Future’s Course for the 7am start time, but I don’t see any issues coming from that.

Time to find 3 more people to close this out, and then let the shit talking begin!

I will gladly accept your nomination to be the trophy/plaque creator haha.

1 Like

I was really hoping the 'cup" portion would be an athletic cup.

2 Likes

Wait, did we hear from @astrodupes? Are his out of town +1s confirmed? Sorry if I missed it

Hmm, at this point I assumed they were confirmed. If not, and we fall to below 24, then we still have some time to get there. I’m planning on setting the signup deadline as 1/28 (two weeks before).

Currently in negotiations. Will know for sure within a day or so.

aaaaaaand they forgot they have an event lined up every Friday morning, and a skins game that Friday afternoon

I’ll try reaching back out to Aguila to see if there is a way to get something finalized on their schedule for both of their courses.

1 Like

How about 36 on the big course at a somewhat discounted deal for the trouble?

1 Like

Unfortunately not seeing any discounted rate happening the weekend of the Phoenix Open. Also turns out they treat those courses as completely separate entities. When I tried calling the main course to book the whole thing, they told me I’d need to call the Futures Course separately to try and book times there.

I just called Aguila and they told me to call back on Tuesday when the director is there to discuss the plan for that day.

I hope they don’t see any issue with 24+ people looking to book tee times at the full public rate, and also spending money at their restaurant that’s literally called “The Nest” haha.

Aguila is also a First Tee of Phoenix location, so we could make that the charity donation.

2 Likes

Just my $.02, but I’d say if the 9-hole course doesn’t work out at Aguila too, let’s still do the event just 18 holes, and maybe we can still do three formats just in 6-hole increments?

1-6 is fourball
7-12 is alt shot
13-18 is singles

Of course you’d be playing with the same group all the way through, but better than not doing it

1 Like

Don’t hate it. Probably just revise it to front 9 fourball, and back 9 singles. That way everyone still gets to play their ball a full 18 holes, especially if they haven’t played the course in the past.

We can also try and think of a pre round 14v14 chipping or putting contest that’ll be worth a point each. Just something that creates a little more team camaraderie.

1 Like

Also any thoughts on potentially having it the next day on the 12th? Might mess up peoples schedules though.

I had that thought as well, but figured it’ll be too late to try and change things up.

Also feel like Saturday would be more difficult for any parents.

1 Like

How bad did you want to say long drive contest? (kidding, I know there is next to no way to track this)

1 Like

If we are really leaning in to the Super Bowl portion of this…Sunday might play too.

As far as I can tell, there isn’t much out of state travel happening aside from your buddies…and it sounds like weekend might be preferable to them

I just brought it up because there may be fewer conflicts with things like skin games and such on the weekend. Since we all like the event format I figure if it can be booked Saturday (or Sunday) then we can probably all make it work?

2 Likes

With at least a few week’s notice, I am personally good for whatever.

1 Like