The MN Match Play Thread - 2023 BRACKET POSTED - ROUND 1 UNDERWAY

Tomorrow morning at Highland, @bbultman are squaring off. Then I didn’t want to bail on the Pelt like everyone else has so I’ll be making that one as well. Wife isn’t the happiest with me right now :man_shrugging:

11 Likes

We respect and appreciate the grind

3 Likes

IMG_3935

2 Likes

Goodness @Battisstatus and myself stretched the limits of “a true match play situation” at deer run today by focusing on who could be the least over par each hole.

Batty took the win. I WD with a shoulder issue on the back nine. A great hang was had and a few good golf shots occurred allegedly. Good luck in rd 2 sir and hopefully we can fire it up again.

6 Likes

He called me and gave me the low down on his way home… Truly the toughest of scenes. He also made a point to tell me you’re a great guy so heal up and get your ass to the NSS :metal:

1 Like

There’s no hopefully about it. We will. Would head out for a round with you any time anywhere!

We both may have been stinky out there but it was still a great time.

Heal up soon brother :blue_heart:

Unfortunately, @OscarDeLaGorga suffered an injury this Spring and isn’t recovered at the moment. Are there any alternates that were hoping to get in the Match Play bracket?

How to get on my shit list:

1a. Commit to something, then neglect to decommit for weeks forcing everyone else to pick up your slack
1b. No call/no show to an event/meetup/tee time
2. Insult my mother

4 Likes

I am working on a sub for you, we didn’t have any alternates this year

This morning at Highland I was able to escape @bbultman and his Jon Rahm like baby bomb fades. As you all know, there are so many good peeps on this site, he fit the bill and is an awesome guy and I had a great time chatting with him for 4 hours. We were paired up for the 7am tee time, on a Saturday, with a couple of younger fellas. One guy it was his 2nd time ever playing golf, shout out @kirkeide1 and his grow the game campaign, and the other guy went to the same high school as Brad, a few years apart, in Green Bay. Crazy.

Anyways, we were able to keep the pace at 4 hours and I made my way to the west side at Pioneer for the pelt. Rained from 694 all the way out there, shout out Mother Nature for the first rainfall of the year, and luckily it was dry when I came screaming into the parking lot. Paid, got some pictures taken with some fans, played 2 holes, out drove @Daniel and his 3 wood on 1, we held the lead I’m pretty sure through 2 holes as the other group refused to show there soaked scorecard;) The sky’s opened up out there and my 36 hole day became a 20 hole day and a happy wife when I came home early. Still beats a day at work!

10 Likes

Did you tell him that he’s not allowed? No more applications available to play golf anymore, it’s full.

8 Likes

We chased daylight and needed all 18. It was a fun match and I was able to prevail 2&1. If you need to gain some height off the tee, @jalper25 is your man! Serious hangtime off the driver face!!! Condities at Edinburgh were about perfect! Course is in fantastic shape and the greens really rolled nicely.

3 Likes

After falling to 4 down through 8, I’m happy to say that I was able to weather the storm and take down @TommyBuns 3&1. Tom is a great hang and a tough match. I was joking that I need to start conceding his 6-8 footers cause he was cashing everything. The wind kind of took all our lunch out there, but Stoneridge was playing pretty damn pure today.

Bonus points for getting to be a part of @charvey’s club match that went all the way to 18. It’s always great getting to hear Chris wax poetically about the injustices of net match play.:pinched_fingers:t2:

My eyes are now fixated squarely on @EagleE.:triumph:

8 Likes

Candyland (named by the net golfers of Stoneridge) could only hold us down for so long @Billy_Baroo until the good guys emerged victorious! Good times out there as always.

3 Likes

@Wry_Whiskey and I had our match this morning at Baker National. We battled the course, our demons and occasionally each other. Brad was great to play with and it was fun to have @MrLarson and @tmoney7 out with us for their match.

Brad kept me 2 or 3 down for much of the match. It was looking bleak for me being down 3 with 5 holes to play, but the momentum shifted and I was able to come back. I ended up winning 2 up.

I’m also happy to report that Baker has basically finished their irrigation upgrade project. There were no hole closures or temporary greens.

5 Likes

@Billy_Baroo definitely weathered the storm today. A lot guys would have packed it in, not him. Played a nearly pristine back in the toughest wind I’ve seen at StoneRidge this year. Well played!

Ton of fun out there, great conversations and the cherry on top was watching @charvey slam the door shut on 18. Really good stuff.

2 Likes

Turns out we were playing Sunday, not Saturday. So pretty funny to wake up for a 7am tee time only to check in at the course 24 hours early.

Got to play with @QGorski today and it was an absolute pleasure. Pleased to announce I won 2&1.

There were strikes. There were gutters. But fun was had by all (I hope?)

S/o @tbruhsch and @DuckDuckGreyDuckHook for joining as very vocal, very chirpy markers

11 Likes

It was a great morning at Baker, the new irrigation system must be top notch because it was lush out there. Always great meeting and playing with the MN refugee crew.

I took advantage of @tmoney7 coming fresh off a daycare induced illness, and ended up wining 5&3.

4 Likes

Love checking in after a full day with the in-laws to see an absolute sweepstakes of matches having gone down. Was a lovely day for golf. And kicking a man when he’s down is just good business sense when it comes to match play.

1 Like

A great morning indeed with great people! I also can reaffirm what @Finnesotan_47 and @MrLarson said regarding Baker’s irrigation system - I feel like the course is in the best shape I have ever seen.

3 Likes