The Down Under thread - ANZAC adjacent

Question not directly related to golf but adjacent. Any car rental recommendations or any to avoid?

My case will be from Melbourne (airport) for a long weekend but the topic could be ANZAC wide. Never had to rent in Melbourne having lived there most of my life but don’t want to burden friends/family.

1 Like

I got one from Avis when I was over late last year. Collected from Melbourne CBD near Queen Vic markets (as was already in city) and dropped at Tullamarine on the way out. Super convenient.

2 Likes

Have used Sixt from Tullamarine a few times and have always found them cheaper than most, as well as getting a vehicle upgrade 3 out of 4 times

2 Likes

Just have to be sure you check what time they close so you don’t have to take a cab and double your drive the next day!

2 Likes

I blame the quality of the company on the terrace at Metro for making me lose track of time!

4 Likes

I still think wistfully of one day being a member at Metro. What a place to practice and play most of your rounds at.

5 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsFkLwfy42u/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MTIyMzRjYmRlZg==

Just a teaser for those who are planning to come down to Tassie in ~12 months time.

I went to the course today and it looks incredible. Still plenty of growing in to come, but the conditions lately with some light showers and plenty of sun are just what they are looking for.

1 Like

I will, for sure, be buying something when I get to play there, great logo. $50 a hat is steeeeeeep though.

Agreed. Working on that.

You’re working on/for 7MB now?!

1 Like

Maybe…

7 Likes

Use code NEST20 at checkout?

1 Like

Let’s GO!

1 Like

FYI there is some very cool stuff coming out soon for NLU Australia that you will be excited about. I am no longer involved in that side of things, but will keep you posted here for any outside updates.

Also the crew at NLU are even better in person than they are over the airwaves and socials. They could not have been more supportive, and I will remain a subscriber and wearer of their kit indefinitely.

7 Likes

Would be keen to hear more about the ins and outs of the Craft Golf experience. Perhaps better over the course of a round of golf/beers.

3 Likes

Any time.

If it has to happen at Barnbougle then it has to happen at Barnbougle! I am very Tas golf course agnostic…

2 Likes

Eerily quiet in here. What are people’s autumn/winter golf looking like? Do you normally shut it down somewhat or are you able to play year round? Any “offseason” plans if you have one? Golf trips planned?

We’re lucky over here in the West that often, winter golf is in some ways better. Sure, courses get a little softer and we get a bit of heavy rain at times, but the temps are WAY more manageable and past a bit of dew & lack of evening light, we’re very much a 12 month golf calendar. Actually have a proper round booked for this Sunday coming, which is my first counting round since Feb 5th (!) so excited for that. Will be fun to see if I can play to my handicap, as unlikely as that will be given my lacks of reps lately.

My wife is due to head overseas at the end of the month so will just be me & the daughter for the next wee while. Also have number 2 on the way in October, so the golf is going to be even more on the back burner. Have to take the opportunities when they can & actually enjoy them instead of grinding for a score.

2 Likes

You should definitely get in all the rounds you can, but looks like your attitude to enjoyment over scoring is already sorted for the next couple of years.

I think everywhere in Tassie is 12 month golf vs what some of the yanks and euros have to deal with. I have played in plenty of frost down here in Tassie, but those days often perk up the best and the winds are calmer in winter to compensate for the ball flying shorter.

I have a couple of daughters (5 & 7) and also hadn’t played since early March. I get my fix from weekly simulator golf, so all is certainly not lost!

If you all haven’t listened to Mat Goggin’s latest audio file on 7 Mile Beach, it is worth a listen. Partly because he is proposing a 12 month pass to the public course with unlimited rounds. If you need me, that is where I will be!

1 Like

God I would LOVE to figure out some sort of public pass system. On the Sunday pod @djpie was talking about the public park pass in Milwaukee where you get a discount at all the public courses when using it. Seems like that would be a good option everywhere. Wouldn’t solve the issue of finding a tee time, mind :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Been managing regular Friday morning rounds the past month or so. But I wish the golf was better. Sublime time of year for it in Sydney though. April-May is the best.

Shot one-under at R. Hobart at the start of March and then 75 around RM West three weeks later but since then my comp scores have been 20, 30, 20, 30, 25, 28. Very bleh.

Have resubscribed to Golf Metrics in the hope that paying attention to what I’m doing helps me identify the glaring areas of improvement (7-21ft putts, 0-20m short game shots and the occasional disaster tee shot).

Off to QLD this weekend to visit a mate who relocated up there during the pandemic. Royal Qld Friday, The Glades Sat and Brookwater Sunday. I’ve played the first two before and loved them both, and while I’m suspicious that Brookwater won’t be to my taste, I’m still pumped to see it.

2 Likes