The Down Under thread - ANZAC adjacent

Do you find you make the same mistakes in the same places at your home course? Almost like going on auto-pilot makes your brain switch off? That happens to me on the regular, and my “home” course is very straightforward, unlike yours.

Where do you play Sim golf @wilbur.kay ? There is a couple of XGolf places over here, but i’ve not been to one yet. Not particularly cheap & feel like it’s gona have a bowling alley vibe to it. I also wish there was a late-night, floodlit, automated driving range somewhere close to go and hit balls past 8pm.

I routinely fuck up the first three holes and then I’m fucked off and just can’t deal.

I am dying for the Mackenzie and Ebert redo (summer after next) and hope 1 & 2 are more playable and the 3rd green is more receptive.

But then on the times I go off the 10th tee I often fuck up 10 & 11 so maybe it’s just a function of often hearing them call my name to the tee while I put my bag on my pushcart and change my shoes…

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/practicalgolf/status/1638289917775081474?s=20

I’ve shut it down for the winter, save sporadic range sessions when I have time/energy. Work is…being stingy with the lube at the moment so I’m wiped when I get home. I’m playing Masters football (soccer) on Saturdays which means I’m movement-impaired until about Wednesday anyway!

1 Like

I haven’t been getting out as regularly as I’d like. Constant back issues not helping matters but I usually push through then complain about having a score back, rinse and repeat. Autumn and sunny winters days are close to peak golf for mine.

I’ll have to have a listen to that @wilbur.kay sounds like I might doing the same - we should get also get out for a hit again soon. Tassie this time perhaps.

2 Likes

@sliceroulette I think I’m going to steal “work is being stingy with the lube” for my own vernacular… sums up my current situation quite nicely as well!

4 Likes

What’s the go with the back stuff? Long term or a specific injury?

Without being evangelical on it, have a look at the Fit for Golf app/Twitter page. Currently offering a months sub for US$1. If you’re able to work on some of his stuff, i’ve found it hugely helpful as someone who has had back issues for a long time. Mine stems from sleep-walking off a balcony and fucking up my pelvis, but I always find things easier after committing to some gym time.

I played last week,and am playing this week - looking back at my golflink history, this will be my first comp rounds in consecutive weeks since the 11th of Feb, and only my 7th golflink comp round for the year, I really hope winter doesn’t mean this lack of playing continues - but my club here in outter melb does get very wet and heavy, was closed quite a bit last year when we got the big rain down here.

Is anyone here a member at eastern? someone tried to tell me that they lost a lot of members recently, but I cant take it as gospel from that person, so would rather hear it from others (was told it was over 100 members)

Long term, made worse by injuring it a few months ago at the gym. Sitting a desk all day doesn’t help, but I’m better at getting up and moving now.

I’ve seen a bunch of his stuff which is quite good. I’m essentially running a hybrid program with stuff from him, the knees over toes guy and from a physio. Whenever I remain consistent I notice improvement.

2 Likes

Yep, being a desk monkey ain’t it. I have a sit/stand at work but now find myself effectively sitting on a bar-stool instead of standing more often :man_facepalming:

Also - https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/2023-gasparilla-invitational/49891/840?u=mg82

1 Like

HaHa GOLD! Stealing this line

I was and bailed. After the floods, something very wrong happened and drainage back to the Yarra was boned. North course was under water for 6+ weeks and closed completely until late Jan. Club is paying the price for cheaping the drainage when they built and they embarked on a mass fairway drainage job which meant 80% of the fairways were criss cross sand. So to pay for that “essential” work they upped the subs. Bad timing though, because around June or July this year the half subs for legacy members runs out and their dues go through the roof.

It was a nice place to play when they had the three nines running, condition was good etc, but they have problems. Its in the Valley, always going to be heavy in winter, but when your condition is shithouse from Dec to April, then there is a larger problem.

1 Like

cheers for the reply.

I’ve played there 3 times (last time being thumped 8/7 in pennant by one of the Eastern professionals - not much fun that day) and its a great set up, great facilities and the people we were with were all nice, but it also felt very different to when we were at the old course, not saying it was better or worse, just different.

Will be interesting to see how it goes after the old members get their new fee’s - it was always a question of how many would move out there ( I know Riversdale and Box Hill picked up a lot of members who didn’t want the drive out there when the move happened)

1 Like

80 off the stick for 34 points. Definitely “left a few out there” but no wipes so will happily take that. Back into comp hibernation again we go…

2 Likes

Nice work, and after shooting 83 with 3 birdies and 3 doubles i definitely feel you on the “left a few out there” front.

What a game

1 Like

Literally the only thing I’ve been able to work on properly of late has been short game stuff. What was (probably) the worst part of my game y’day…?

Normal sport.

Also highly recommend getting kids songs stuck in your head to stop yourself getting deep on swing thoughts and the like. I watched Moana for the first time with my 3 yr old daughter on the weekend. Some absolute earwigs in there.

Will take that on board, although with at most a few weeks until my first kid arrives I’m just enjoying any opportunity I get to get out there and swing a club.

2 Likes

Any interest in these? I can’t justify the likely shipping cost for one hat but if there’s a few of us idiots who could be keen…
https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/y6tb-headwear-orders-in-progress/92081/256

1 Like

Was considering going a visor as i’m getting into that lifestyle for some reason. Not sure I can justify the $'s at the moment though, either.