The Down Under thread - ANZAC adjacent

I’ve told Matt, but I do not mind the (un)Australian GC when playing in Sydney.

ducks for cover

1 Like

The Aussie is a great hang and it’s a fun round of golf. But if you’re coming 15,000km to discover golf in Australia, you gain pretty much nothing by going there. But if you know golf in Australia well, then totally go have fun, no judgement!

2 Likes

I always liked the pre-Doak version of Concord for guilty pleasure reasons.

It was tight and unforgiving and had greens that weren’t hard to read so you could make a lot of putts — it always appealed to me as a great place to go when you thought you were playing well and just have to execute or else.

If you walked off there with 36 points you always felt vibey like you really earned it.

As someone who will be in Vic for golf in (checks countdown timer) 87 days, two hours and 57 minutes, this podcast is relevant to my interests. Halfway through the first episode and enjoying it very much.

2 Likes

That is a very valid point, Scott. 100% agree would not recommend visiting the Aussie if traveling halfway across the world, unless they want to have a slightly different soft experience (clubhouse, food, mens grill in the locker room).

When many US friends travel to Oz, they seem to be on a tighter timeline (~10 days). I wish there was another compliment to NSW, as some skip it to maximize Mel/Barnbougle/Cape Wickham. Maybe once RS gets there act together with the Hanse improvements (~2024).

Played Concord the other day for the first time since the refurb.

My overwhelming experience was… ok I guess? I just couldn’t shake the feeling that there was nothing memorable about the place (green complexes excluded). Apart from a few short par 4s with some nice risk reward elements, I walked away not feeling that the course was worthy of its number 30 ranking.

Lovely facility and great staff, but I was expecting to be more wowed by the course itself

Hi everyone,

Getting a really good team vibe in this thread these days with everyone hosting and sharing home club tips which is awesome. I can’t wait to do some hosting at 7 mile beach in the future when the grass covers the dunes properly. I also can’t wait for @MatthewM and @ScottW to cover the Apple Isle on the new Australian Golf Passport! I have just got through episode #2 and I am loving the Aus Golf focus which is unique as far as I can tell in the existing podcast landscape.

In other news, there is a good drop of hoodies and new performance polos due to land in the Craft Golf store this week to go with the recently added bags and Golfer’s Journals. If anyone is keen on the H&B items, please let me know, and I am happy to get them in the next order.

I am getting very excited about the prospect of afternoon/evening golf on the horizon… Daylight savings come at me!

8 Likes

Please don’t mention Daylight Savings again.

Signed,
Western Australian people who love their curtains too much.

3 Likes

It has been a long, wet winter… after work rounds can not come soon enough!

2 Likes

19 days til after-work golf. All riiiiight!

3 Likes

Just caught up on the first two episodes, great work! Really looking forward to what you have planned. Keen to hear more about Royal Melbourne as I’m already very excited (maybe too excited) to play there for the first time later this year.

5 Likes

KEEEN for episode 3 given it is Royal Melbourne. I know a pathetic amount of golf history and am not normally much of one for architecture, but being able to listen to this before playing it in November* is gona be a hoot.

(*Shoutout @sliceroulette again :pray: :raised_hands:)

2 Likes

One thing I’m really mindful of, and trying to stick to, is that it’s a golf travel podcast first and foremost, not a golf architecture podcast. The difference may not be huge, but I think it’s key.

Obviously there’s gonna be a lot of architecture type discussion, but even then we are trying to not go too deep on the hard-core architecture beard pulling and keep it more generally interesting and accessible.

Can’t wait to get this episode out into the world!

4 Likes

Looking forward to pushing play on this later today! Nice work lads.

Really enjoyable episode Scott. Nice to replay the course in my head at the same time too.
Had a good laugh about the ScoMo section, very good!

3 Likes

Really enjoyed it Scott. As I did the first 2 episodes. I believe Crafter/Mogford are the landscape architects at Commonwealth vs Renaissance who are focussing on the playing elements of the course. Similar I guess to Harley Kruuse’s role at Royal Sydney (if it ever goes ahead…)

1 Like

I enjoyed it as well, even the ScoMo references. Nice to hear jokes we understand down this end of the world!

3 Likes

Morning!

Really enjoyed this episode and I could tell that you would have filled 5 podcasts with RM West if time permitted.

The one thing I found hard to reconcile was the 5th vs 7th discussion. I always found the 7th a much easier birdie hole, and unless the flag was front right, a fairly simple 2 putt. There is a much broader margin for error off the tee, and I often walked up the hill to see my ball on the green after a pulled shot when I was expecting a worse result. I know a hard hole isn’t the same as a good hole, but the strategy required on the 5th never stops until the ball is in the hole. If you hit a good shot that ends up above the hole, you are sweating on the putt to make sure it doesn’t end up off the front of the green, and a pitch onto that green after a missed tee shot is terrifying from any angle…

Either way, I know we are comparing which of the Korda sisters has the better swing here, so there are no wrong answers. I love them both (the swings and the par 3s) and can’t wait to 3 putt them again someday in the future.

1 Like

Just checked the RM & Metro sites… your white athletic sock takes may now be outdated @ScottW :wink:

“Short socks that are either predominantly white or compliment the colour of other clothing are permitted.”

This would include ankle socks, right?!

3 Likes