The Donnybrook v2 @ Pinehurst Resort 10/7-10/10 (REGISTRATION IS OPEN - info at post 31)

Thanks!

Excellent read there Ben. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I wrote this awhile ago. Inspired by @KVV and @LivingLagunaLoca. Wasn’t sure if I was going to share because I am no where near the linguist they are. But here it goes

Golf. A four letter word that, at times, has invoked a few other four letter words from me. My relationship with the game has had it’s ups and downs. But it’s has led me to a truly special group of people.

Full disclosure, when I joined the Refuge it was a bit intimidating. Where should I jump in? How do you find a group?

Timing wise I couldn’t find a good event to join but then I saw the Donnybrook. An event in Pinehurst, NC about 2 hours from where I am in Wilmington, NC. I joined the lottery and fortunately got in.

I showed up at Southern Pines Golf Club on a Thursday morning in October with no expectations but a delightful Kyle Franz restoration ahead of me. My expectations were exceeded. Not by the course (the course was phenomenal) but with members from the Refuge that I had the privilege of playing with. Mr. Bob, Dennis the Cheetah and the Roomie Ben G. It was a great 4 ball full of laughs, music, and great conversation.

#4 at Pinehurst was an interesting day. Golf wise I was in the wilderness but company wise it was a delightful walk. My caddy Pat was a trip in the best possible way. The Merch Czar lived up to the legend by making 7 birdies and two triples. Jeff threw around big bets and was Shawn popping? Of course Shawn was popping!

#2. I woke up fighting some demons. The S word was prevalent but we pushed through. This was the second time I’ve play this legendary loop and couldn’t have asked for a better day. I played with Jamie who was still VIBING from the previous weekend and with Mrs. Quota Melanie. I couldn’t help but cheer her on as she pushed for another NIT spot.

Reading back on all of that makes me take a step back. Because I think I missed the point. All of these Refuges came together from all over because of golf, but it was about #morethangolf that weekend. It was about a bunch of guis and gals coming together to share a drink at the Pinecrest Inn. To share a laugh about our Skins game on the Cradle. To share a bond at the Pinehurst Brewery over tequila shots and wild bets. At the Donnybrook I made friends for life and, despite my best attempt, memories I will never forget.

To all Refuges I met that weekend and hopefully will meet in the future I say cheers.

Cc. Jeff and Pat - Tequila shots on me next time

19 Likes

2 Likes

You probably didn’t sign up for a friend for life when you entered the Donnybrook raffle, but you’ve got one in me roomie.

3 Likes