The CLC Matchplay - Season 4: Knockout Bracket time - Post 1169

Had an awesome round with @⁨Frank Orr⁩ this afternoon at Duplin CC. Was able to pull out the win 2&1. Could not have asked for a better partner to walk the fairways with today. Coastal pod is off and running…

10 Likes

Tough scene in terms of play, but GRADE A for the competition! Commish did a great job documenting all the non-sense golf @Fluff and I played.

4 Likes

Pod F kicked it off to day with a match between me and @Blackngold35 at Oak Hollow Golf Course. It was a tight match with neither one of us going out to grab it. Before telling the story be aware that all scores are net and the handicaps between the 2 of use are quite different. blackngold35 was giving me a stroke a hole except the par 3 7th.

Hole one was halved with pars. Nothing exciting to report. Both of us were left off the tee but I was lucky to get through the trees a little better to have an advantage that I didn’t take advantage of.

Hole 2 BnG went left again and I hit a strong drive into the speed slot. I had a chance to reach in two but pushed it left. BnG had a force lay up and hit his 3rd into the par 5 about 10 feet left of the pin. I chipped on and 2 putted for a par net bird and BnG missed his putt to go one down.

Hole 3 saw go right off the tee and then right on my second out of play. BnG played the hole down the left and made a comfy bogie to win the hole. All square

Hole 4 was a straight forward par 3 halved with pars.

Hole 5 is a great par 5 to a peninsula green. I hot my tee ball left and was blocked out and had to lay up. BnG hit a great drive down the middle and was just short right in 2. My approach was bladed over the green and into the drink. I did try the hero shot out of the water to zero success. BnG up 1

Hole 6 is a tough par 4 with a long carry over water from the tips. BnG drew one into the drink while I faded one witha 3wd safely into the fairway (I was playing one ups). BnG then chunked his approach and didn’t carry either. Once again played it safe and hit it well right of the water. All square

Hole 7 is a short par 3 and the only hole I didn’t get a shot. I hit a ball short right and BnG hit the left of the green. He 2 putted for par and I left my par attempt low. BnG 1 up.

Hole 8 is a short par 4. Both of us hit the fairway but I chunked a shot from 150 and BnG hit a nice approach straight over the flag. I hit my chip from 40 yards to gimme range for a par, net bird and BnG 2 putted for a par. All square

Hole 9 BnG hit a perfect drive and I was left up next to a Pete Dye wall. I somehow hit a fading 9 iron over the green that may have been my best shot of the day. BnG hit his approach a little long. I proceeded to chip from over the green to gimme range again, another par net bird. BnG 2 putted for par. 1 up grizzly at the turn.

Hole 10 is a tough par 5 that I would like to forget. All square

Hole 11 is a tough par 4 that I would like to forget. BnG up 1.

Hole 12, 13, 14 and 15 were all halved with either par or bogies. BnG 1 up.

Hole 16 is a par 3 that BnG pushed one right which opened the door for me to go middle of the green. BnG’s ball was found but up againts a tree. He made a great shot to just get it on the green but then 2 putted for a bogie. I 2 putted for my par. All sqaure

Hole 17 is a short but tight par 4. I hit my best drive of the day and BnG went left. Both of us messed around with terrible short game shots but my bogie net par was good enough to take the hole. Grizzly 1 up.

Hole 18 saw both of us hit good drives but I was blocked out left. BnG hit his approach to the left of the green and I played it smart with a little punch out to 20 yards short. I chipped on and 2 putted for a bogie net par and BnG left his birdie short. Final was a 1 up win for me.

It was a great match with neither of us ever having more than a 1 up lead. I played pretty good for me but got a break with BnG not making any birdies which is very unusual for him.

Sorry for the book.

11 Likes

Always an enjoyable day with @grizzly224 on the course. As he said we had a really tight match where the words “2-up” weren’t uttered all day. Like many in our neck of the woods - I will take the occasional shit on Oak Hollow but today was a damn steal at $18 to walk given the conditions. Greens were slow but very playable and rolled well.

We were discussing this at some point on the back 9 and I know it’s not an original idea… but I’d love to see Oak Hollow swap the 9s, make it a par 71, move the tees way up on 10 and turn it into a medium length par 4. Then, they could use the newly created space behind the new 10 tee for a short game area. Would make for a much better walk with the stretch of 4-7 becoming 13-16.

7 Likes

While i did read that and sounds like a good match - I inevitably see this meme being used multiple times in this thread

6 Likes

Maybe so but I also see the posts getting shorter as the matches go on. I was just pumped after playing in my first match that actually matter (if even just a little).

4 Likes

Not knocking it - was a good read

@Swing_hard_and_hope

@JoeCostello @franklinorr and myself will be playing a 3-way match on the River course @ River Landing on Monday at 11. Going to be a great time on a course that is always in good shape. Big thanks to @JoeCostello for setting it up.

3 Likes

Hell yeah. Love that course.

1 Like

The Monday match at RL will just be @JoeCostello and myself @Swing_hard_and_hope

If any other refuge is in the Wilmington area and wants to join myself and @JNorwoodFive at River Landing we could always use two more :+1:t2:

1 Like

Monday @ 11

Come now three gladiators (and one content machine) to the colosseum.

@BrooklynAJ v @Double_Bogey_Dave v @Joezwickl

@Swing_hard_and_hope on the ones and twos

The Deuce

Coming up the third hole

Through 8:

DBD 1 up v BrooklynAJ
BrooklynAJ 1 up v JZ
DBD 2up v JZ

3 to go

DBD and AJ all square
DBD and JZ all square
AJ Dormie on JZ

9 Likes

And that, guis, is how I beat @Fluff 47 ways to Sunday.

10 Likes

He wishes

1 Like

For tracking sake @Swing_hard_and_hope, Andrew won three ways today over @dmcelhennon, @Just-a-little-right and myself in group a. i think it was something like 4&3, 4&3 and 3&2.

@Just-a-little-right beat @dmcelhennon 4&3.

i tied with @dmcelhennon but based on the other outcomes, we didn’t do a tiebreaker because it didn’t matter.

Andrew runs away with group A and i am the second place finisher.

3 Likes

Reflecting on a great day.

@BrooklynAJ 3&1 over @Joezwickl

@Joezwickl over @Double_Bogey_Dave in 22 holes

@BrooklynAJ 2up over @Double_Bogey_Dave

16 Likes

Some are saying me and @dmcelhennon didn’t like the matchups outside of pod play and threw our matches early strategically.

3 Likes

Group K is kicking off Friday at Camden CC

@tjking vs Me.

@tigergolftraveler has run out of state for fear of losing.

8 Likes

Love Camden for a match play course!! (Also just love Camden, but as a match play course even more…)

2 Likes