The CLC Matchplay - Season 4: Knockout Bracket time - Post 1169

I guess they were “Group A” for a reason, because congrats to group A on all getting together to finish out their group stage today. @pluds26 @dmcelhennon @Just-a-little-right @Andrew B. (Not sure he is on here)

Andrew and Pat are officially moving onto the knockout matches.

You can visit the full standings updates here: https://score7.io/7migd8io9d/standing

5 Likes

I second this statement :joy: @Just-a-little-right

1 Like

Yesterday myself and @JoeCostello played our match on the River Course at River Landing in Wallace, NC. Unfortunately, Joe was not aware that they had punched the River Course earlier than expected so that was kind of a bummer for us both. Fortunately, the course was in fantastic shape as usual. We had great weather, great music and most importantly, frosty beverages. We played from the blue tees which put my course handicap at 15 considering the 141 slope rating. Joe’s came in at 4 so I was popping on most of the holes. I was fortunate to play a great round by my standards while Joe did not have his best day which was unfortunate. So many things about his swing I absolutely loved and damn can he hit the ball! He is by far the fastest player I have ever played with. He literally hit the ball before his mind had a chance to wonder and it was awesome to see. Pace of play was not the best but thankfully the 4-way match between 2 couples in probably their late 70’s possibly 80’s did pick up steam on the back 9 and we finished in around 4 hours I believe. A big thanks to him for setting this up and happy I was able to walk away with the 6 & 5 victory. This was two for two on playing matches with guys I met and played with for the first time b/c of this group and I have to say that I would not hesitate to play with either of them any time or any place.

16 Likes

The Classic 3-way - 7/5 2:40PM Pinehurst No. 2

It’s not every day you get to witness greatness on one of the greatest courses in America, but that is exactly what I got to do yesterday. Group L had decided that the best way to end the July 4th weekend was with a showdown at the famous Pinehurst No. 2. And although I was not involved in the match, I was super glad to be invited along for the journey.

Let’s introduce you to our competitors:

• @Double_Bogey_Dave if you don’t know him by now, I don’t know where you have been. A man of Tourist Sauce fame, a former president, and a man truly out to bring folks together in the best way he knows how, through good vibes on the golf course. Getting 13 from Joe. Getting 6 from Andy
  • @Joezwickl another competitor with no lack of footage if you go through the NLU Youtube Archive. He is not only a local to the course, but gets to walk these hallowed grounds near every day as a caddie at “the resort”, but today he was a guest of a member ready to take on the competition. Important note, it was approved by the competition committee and Joe brought out @j.b.loopin to caddie for him today as well. Giving up all the strokes.
  • And of course @BrooklynAJ You may know him well from the young hitters or pinehurst threads. About this time last year he ditched the big apple for the NC sandhills. He single handedly keeps those running at all times. He was our host on this day and his game is certainly rounding into form these days. Getting 7 strokes off of Joe. Giving 6 strokes to DBD.

Alright, the stage is set. The tee box is open. Let’s go launch ‘em.

Hole 1

If you have had the pleasure of playing Pinehurst No.2 before, or even just seen it on TV, you know the first hole could be considered a “handshake opener” but when you stand over the ball it is anything but. Something about the starter house, all the people on the putting green, the rumble of people eating at the deuce or enjoying a drink on the members porch that gives it a little more gravitas. I set up for my normal draw and promptly blew my ball WAAAY right, but this is not about me, it’s about our three competitors. Joe lasered his driving iron into the middle of the fairway, after which DBD and Andy followed him with their drives. And just like that I knew these boys came to play and nerves were not going to get to them today. But we all know golf is all about the next shot, none of our three competitors found the green and all found themselves in some precarious locations. Then we proceed to watch the nerves they evaded on the first tee come RUSHING in full force. BrooklynAJ let his putt from off the back get away from him and putted it off the front of the green. Joe chose a putter from off the green as well, but it didn’t make it up the slope and came back to him. DBD showed a touch of class to putt his from off the green to about 5 feet. Dave finished the par (an absurd 4, which will end up a theme), the other guys tapped in for doubles and the match(es) were on!

DBD vs AJ - 1UP

DBD vs JZ - 1UP

AJ vs JZ - TIED

Hole 2

Alright, that was a lot for one hole. I promise I’ll calm it down a little, but I know there are like 3 of you who will enjoy this so might as well. Important note as we go to the second tee. It’s a mere few steps from the 1st green, especially the back tees. Joe is playing the back and the other two competitors are playing the customary “one ups” on this day. So even though Joe is leaving hot from the first green, he is up. He gets to hit a driver and has a clear plan with his caddie (@j.b.loopin) aim up the left and fade it back. Narrator: it did not fade back. The provisional is not what you wanted to see here. A great second ball par, but as you can imagine the double did not hold up. A couple of casual bogeys (DBD was stroking though) from the other two competitors and we were onto 3.

DBD vs AJ - 2UP

DBD vs JZ - 2UP

AJ vs JZ - 1UP

Hole 3

The short par 4 makes you take some consideration off the tee. JZ striped a 4iron. AJ perfect drive right past him. And DBD got to play roulette in the wiregrass on the left of the fairway. Now what happens next for the former president is truly absurd. He got saved by the Donald Ross moustache and stayed out of the dead man’s bunker on his approach. A putt from off the green put him right in striking range for another ABSURD 4. And this was just hole 3! A couple of ho hum bogeys from our other competitors and DBD was in the driver seat.

DBD vs AJ - 3UP

DBD vs JZ - 3UP

AJ vs JZ - 1UP

Hole 4

As a reminder, JZ ends up hitting first no matter what. I believe the second the ball left his clubface on this one jb said “sorry guys, you are going to have to compete with a 350 yard drive on this one.” Well, I’ll keep this one short, they did not compete with it. AJ found an early tree off the tee box and made a long hole longer. DBD hit a great wood or hybrid into the green, but could not hold it and the up and down magic wore out as he finally lived up to his name. Par for Joe, doubles for our other competitors, but as the 1 handicap DBD was getting a stroke.

DBD vs AJ - 4UP

DBD vs JZ - 2UP

AJ vs JZ - TIED

Hole 5

First par 5 of the day, I’ll be honest I don’t recall this hole as well as others because I was fighting my own battle out there. My drive ended up right next to the red tee markers after finding a tree so I didn’t really get to play the hole with the others (don’t worry I saved par though). I know jz bombed one and was over the green in two. I know DBD got down on the left side and even heard jb remark that the sandy area was the “bogey dust” or something to that effect. The rest was fairly uneventful, no strokes given on this hole. Par for joe, bogey for aj, double for dbd and we moved on.

DBD vs AJ - 3UP

DBD vs JZ - 1UP

AJ vs JZ - 1DN

Hole 6

A stout par 3 and the first of many flushed irons out of AJ on the par 3s. I’ll keep it simple. He two putted for par. Our other competitors both found the bunkers on the left, both ready to walk out with some great up and downs. Well neither did, i’ll spoil that part. But being the 5th handicap hole what DBD did might have been more special. I believe the first bunker shot went over the green into the other bunker. From there he splashed out a decent one to 20 feet. Then rolled it in for another ALL WORLD 4.

DBD vs AJ - 3UP

DBD vs JZ - 2UP

AJ vs JZ - TIED

Hole 7

This one was neat to see the caddie knowledge, and knowing your game as a plus handicap, come out. Joe executed what he planned to do with shape and start line, but he almost immediately knew it wouldn’t cover the last bunker. He was right. The other two hit comfy fades into the fairway. Event saw a classy three weasel (I believe that was a name used for the 3-wood). DBD long left, Andy short right on the approach, but then something special. Jz caught his bunker shot thin, but went soooo high and sooo far. I think 75 yards over the green is not an exaggeration. He got in a completely dead spot and ended up conceding the hole a couple of shots later. Andy made a bogey and DBD doubled.

DBD vs AJ - 2UP

DBD vs JZ - 3UP

AJ vs JZ - 1UP

Hole 8

A sad theme bucks it’s head again. My tee ball hits a tree and goes about 50 yards, so I am sort of out of tracking this par 5 very closely. The key to know jz found himself greenside in 2 once again, walking away with a stress free par. I cant really tell you much of what the other two did. I know AJ went long of the green, and you do not want to do that. AJ came away with a big par. DBD with a bogey

DBD vs AJ - 1UP

DBD vs JZ - 2UP

AJ vs JZ - 1UP

Hole 9

I believe it is the shortest hole on the course, but also one of the most interesting. Tee shots were as follows: Jz just right, Andy flushed it and rolled just off the back, DBD an interesting miss about 40 yards short right. Joe had a classy chip after much deliberation with his caddie for an easy up and down. Andy with a clutch par and DBD continued to give some back with living up to the name.

DBD vs AJ - TIED

DBD vs JZ - 1UP

AJ vs JZ - 1UP

Hole 10

It’s a par 5, so guess what is going to happen again…. I hit an awful drive. Bad enough that jb was kind enough to come with me right away to go look for it, before DBD and AJ had even teed off… so I dont have much for ya. Jz was in the wilderness as well. Andy found himself in a not great spot about 40 yards short of the green in 2. I got near him for the shot and even remarked “I mean look where you competitors are - jz was on in 4 and not a close look and similar for DBD - just get to the green and make your par.” Narrator: He did not listen. He went for the sweet hero shot. And damn it was close. The rest does not make great writing. DBD made double, joe made double, andy made triple….

DBD vs AJ - 1UP

DBD vs JZ - TIED

AJ vs JZ - TIED

Hole 11

I’ll speak for myself, but after playing this course twice this is my least favorite hole. Maybe because I am bad at golf and the green is tricky, but damn it I struggled again. So did some of our competitors, but not all of them. DBD had an absurd up and down to make another fantastic 4. Andy made a ho hum bogey and honestly I can’t quite remember but think it might have been a 3 putt bogey for jz.

DBD vs AJ - 2UP

DBD vs JZ - 1UP

AJ vs JZ - 1UP

Hole 12

It might be time to take a note of the scoreboard. Because the run that is about to happen is something special. Hole 12 we got to see some great golf shots. Andy and I both his very good drives and I jokes “let’s go get the deuce coin on this one.” I hit a decent shot and left myself 12 feet for birdie. But AJ almost listened. He put it to about 7 inches…. A tap in birdie from about 8- yards out. And for those at home wondering, this man is playing the white tees, but piping 280 yard drives. It was awesome to watch. This might have stole the thunder but jz had a special bunker shot from like 40 yards out to save par. It was special. I believe DBD also had a crazy up and down to save bogey, but there was already an overload on this hole for me to remember it all.

DBD vs AJ - 1UP

DBD vs JZ - 1UP

AJ vs JZ - 2UP

Hole 13

I am going to focus on one competitor here, our man DBD, he is busy telling us a story about how one time he almost killed @djpie out here with a tee shot and proceed to hit an awful tee ball. Maybe 170 yard high slicing leaker. He is in a bad enough spot he get to say hi to the gentleman coming down the 14th. I would bet he even invited them to the CLC chat. Andy and I walked up to our balls in the fairway (yes I promise I found one or 2) and we sat to watch. It felt like sure double bogey territory. He popped out a fairway metal and roasted one off the sandy wiregrass lie. It lands on the front of the green from about 210 yards away and bounds up onto the green. Might have been the best shot I have ever seen by a midcapper. I’ll fast forward the green play. 2 putt pars for AJ and DBD, Bogey for joe.

DBD vs AJ - 2UP

DBD vs JZ - 2UP

AJ vs JZ - 3UP

Hole 14

This is an important note only because of the next couple holes. I watched Joe’s tee shot on 14. Might have been the worst shot I have witnessed him hit over the now 32 holes I had played with him. He saved par though. Very casual fairway, green 2 putt for andy. Dave missed his first shortie of the day and ended up with a double.

DBD vs AJ - 1UP

DBD vs JZ - 1UP

AJ vs JZ - 4UP(dormie)

Hole 15

Par 3 you know the story, but I’ll tell you any ways. DBD went from one bunker to another and then made a crazy bogey. It was absurd to watch. AJ and jz both hit great shots with two good looks at birdie. Jz executed. Andy did not.

DBD vs AJ - TIED

DBD vs JZ - TIED

AJ vs JZ - 3UP(dormie)

Hole 16

This par 5 was something special to witness. Sadly I was in the trees again, but they had to wait for me to lay up and the greens to clear so I got to witness. Joe had 200 left after a 300+ drive. He put it to about 12 feet. Such a money shot. Andy was a little in front of him and had to go after watching that. Also a stud shot, left about 25 feet from the other side. I’ll let the andy story go easy, he had a tentative first putt and ended up with a tap in par. But it was clear the ball striking was working today. Jz nailed the big bird and had a sweet fist bump with jb.

DBD vs AJ - 1DN

DBD vs JZ - 1DN

AJ vs JZ - 2UP(dormie)

Hole 17

Well Andy closed out one match and had the other dormie. His great iron shot on 17 sealed it. He got out with two putt par and won both the matches on the day. DBD made magic happen again with a 20 footer to save his bogey. Joe didn’t get up and down from the bunker and they headed to the 18th tied.

DBD vs AJ - 2&1 Final

DBD vs JZ - 1DN

AJ vs JZ - 3&1 Final

Hole 18

Let’s focus on the head to head here. Jz up first found the wiregrass on the right. Dave needed a big shot and found the awkward stuff on the left. What happened next was nothing short of spectacular. A wayward shot by dbd warranted a fore call, not to the patrons on the deuce, but rather to the folks on the chipping green. He almost made it! Jz punched out but found the bunker short of the green. It was a remarkable shot for Dave next. Made it on the green I believe. Some bad putting resulted in a conceded hole for JZ and we were off to the cradle for a tiebreak.

DBD vs JZ - TIED after 18

The Cradle

Hole 1 - 2 putt pars for both

Hole 2 - jz lips out as they both 2 putt for par

Hole 3 - a couple more very close putts as they both 2 putt for par and comment how we should just got get beers

Hole 4 - DBD comes up short, jz to 3 feet. Birdie to win the tie break for jz

Hell of a day, and way too many words out here to explain what had happened.

13 Likes

Fantastic write-up. Yesterday was one I’ll never forget, what a great time playing a competitive match with good friends…

A few minor clarifications

It was actually a 9 iron from about 15 yards off the green.

You also hit the best approach shot despite being deep in the trees right

Hole 13

I actually was hitting a shot from the same bunker heading down 14 when I almost killed DJ. Was fighting the swing ailment which shall not be named and assumed it was going a good 50 yards right.

Hole 18

I made a Bogey from just off the chipping green, hit a punch 7 iron that was about 25 feet from the hole. 2 putt to tie the match.

The finale on the Cradle was wild, I thought I was toast on holes 1 and 2 but was able to scrape by with pars.

@BrooklynAJ and @Joezwickl were more than worthy opponents on an amazing golf course. There is no easy hole on #2, trouble lurks on every approach shot, particularly in the green side bunkers.

@j.b.loopin provided good vibes all day.

5 Likes

The round yesterday rekindled my love of #2. The last time I played it, was one of the least enjoyable rounds I’ve ever played due to a serious swing ailment.

I’ve come to realize, I enjoy the heck out of competitive golf, and tend to play better.

Lastly, the course rating (70.7/126) on #2 from the whites is a travesty. It’s much harder than that.

6 Likes

Thank you @Double_Bogey_Dave, I totally agree about the rating at #2. I play/bet and lose to my Dad’s handicap all the time because he’s a Pinehurst member and legally sandbags with all his rounds at #2 that rate as easier than my course (it’s not).

Also, incredible write up @Swing_hard_and_hope, I felt like I was there!

2 Likes

I think this post was probably longer than your senior thesis at Virginia Tech

15 Likes

Go Hokies though

1 Like

The ECU Pirates are 0-4 in CLC Matchplay

Should’ve never fired Ruff…

2 Likes

Agreed, same goes with Steve Logan. People in Greenville sometimes think they are actually in Tuscaloosa.

2 Likes

Yeah I know it is early but just in case I forget the Coastal Pod (N) will be finishing our group matches on July 25th with a 36 hole day that will begin at Wilmington Muni and end at Pine Valley. Should be an awesome day and I can only hope for some cooler temps like we had for the Hootenanny. Good times will no doubt be had regardless with @AirMailWedges @franklinorr @JoeCostello !

4 Likes

In on 36 hole matches for sure. Would be cool to get some home/away matches if people are members at opposing clubs. (@Fore20 we can do Bermuda/Jamestown…)

Also before I forget, it looks like @JamesHCard will be taking on myself and @smallz0r at the same time at Cabarrus CC on July 18th. Innuendo with that as you please.

4 Likes

@Fore20 and I kicking things off in Group E tomorrow at Jamestown GC. While it’s his home course, I’m getting 12 from the whites which is great and also a sad indictment of the current state of my golf game.

Looking forward to it and @grizzly224 and @billythekid will be there to witness as well.

8 Likes

I managed to topple @yungbunzz today 3&2 on #4.

There will be no photographic or video evidence, as Chris and I combined for +26 on the back nine.

It was highly embarrassing and an extremely tough scene. The only reason I didn’t four putt the 11th green is that my first putt was degreened, and that my friends means it was three putt.

Dear God.

5 Likes

I believe @Swing_hard_and_hope told me once you hit your first putt all subsequent strokes count as putts until you hole out. Hate that for you @BrooklynAJ .

2 Likes

That’s bullshit

4 Likes

In the opening match of Group O @stupidflanders defeated @EFreeCHS 6 & 5 at The Links at Stono Ferry. A fun round with great company!

8 Likes