South Florida

I am headed up to Orlando this weekend. Sorry to miss you guys. I live across the street from Winston Trails

1 Like

Choppin it up with the big boys, am I right @Big_RanDeer?

Hahaha no golf this weekend unfortunately. But I think he and the fam are joining us at Universal. You too right?

2 Likes

I thought that was the understanding.

1 Like

I will indeed be meeting you all later at Universal.

1 Like

Good deal, another time.

Still an open invitation to other SoFla Refugees.

Sorry, bud - got tee times in Branson/Springfield for all next week.

1 Like

Can’t wait to see that recovery score.

1 Like

We only got 12 holes in yesterday on account of the new storm warning system at Indian Spring, which, OK, I guess it’s good they’re looking out for us. We’re going to be extra safe like Broken Sound, so if lightning strikes in Broward or Martin, it’s time to come in.

But it seems like every move this club has made has been about lessening the opportunities to play, and making sure we know ‘our place’ as summer members. COVID complicated the summer scene here and a lot of the northerners didn’t move back on account of that. So now they’re here, and they get priority on the tee sheet. Which tells me this club doesn’t need my summer money, and probably especially not my year-round money. Maybe they’ve already got enough members.

I’m getting increasingly disillusioned about golf here.

Also, the stores are out of my ball. There’s apparently been a nationwide run on Titleist TruFeel. PGATSS, Edwin’s, etc. can’t keep the basic white ones in stock. So until Titleist recovers, I’m on Tour Softs, which I hate because they’re more expensive and they have this ugly-ass T alignment marker.

Thankfully, there are other clubs to try, and if that doesn’t work, other places to try. But I hate throwing club money away.

1 Like

Anyone play either course at the breakers. Have a client I am taking who is looking to play there but not sure which one I should book.

I’m going on trip with the whole extended family next March to Vero Beach and started the brainstorming process for how to negotiate some golf into the itinerary. We have gone before and I’ve played a couple of the public courses in the area - Sand Ridge and Pointe West. I was wondering if there are any other public courses that we should check out, or if any of the private courses are accessible via my pro calling their pro (not sure exactly how that process works, if at all). It seems like there are a ton - John’s Island, Quail Ridge, Red Stick, Hawk’s Nest, many others. Interested in hearing any thoughts anyone has!

March tends to be peak season for us down here, so in terms of private clubs you might be out of luck. PGA golf club down in Port St. Lucie is 100% worth the drive.

1 Like

Hey did you ever get any help with this? I’m a (summer) member at Breakers Rees Jones and have been each year since 2009. Know it like the back of my hand.

The Rees Jones is a bigger place than the Ocean Course. Very traditional Florida championship golf with some forced carries and housing lining the course. Fairways are generous enough but it’s a tough place for higher handicappers. I’m a 14 right now and if I have a bad day it’s a real slog out there. We also get messed up by lightning and storms more than Ocean. I’ll have to take a look at the maintenance schedule because they do punch regularly during the summer and the greens are beat up for about two weeks after each treatment.

The Ocean Course is a real treat right now, especially for those same higher handicappers that struggle at West. In a renovation a few years back The Breakers removed a ton of trees and brush between holes that would gobble up offline shots. Now it’s nearly impossible to lose a ball and you can play off adjacent fairways if needed. Ocean Course is very short in comparison to Rees Jones (6100 tips vs just over 7000) but it’s such a great vibe and a fun, lighthearted round.

Let me know if you’re headed out there.

This is such a huge help. Thanks so much. Sounds like the ocean will be better for this since a work outing so no need to get beat up all day on it. May have to try and sneak a round in the rees Jones since we are at the breakers for 2 nights. Was gonna play doral but they have an outing on the day that works.

1 Like

You guys are going to have a blast. Hit the Flagler Steakhouse for a beer after the round. Have fun!

Definitely will probably end up there for dinner that night. Really looking forward to the trip

1 Like

Playing partner had to bail for Fox Club tomorrow morning. If anyone is interested in taking his spot, 8:52am $59+tax. Let me know.

Roostin’

Would love for us to get together on a zoom/teams call after thanksgiving one night to float ideas, whomever has interest in the captaincy, etc. Get signed up!

4 Likes

In town for the holiday and would love to get up to Palm Beach Par 3 sometime Saturday - Monday, anyone want to join in?

1 Like

Thanks for getting this going. I just listened to the Nest pod and got fired up about our roost.

I’d also like to humbly suggest a charity: Take Stock In Children. HQed in South Florida, they “aim to provide mentors and college scholarships to low income students in Florida.”

I’ve seen first-hand the impact this organization has on the community and it’s great. Also, our own @MP32 sits on the board of the Palm Beach chapter and can speak more to the details.

3 Likes