Sisterhood of the Traveling Refugee Sunday Bag

Real talk, I love this place for all of the reasons listed in the last few posts

1 Like

Not to mention raising almost $20k to do it…when I tell people that they just look at me like wtf?

1 Like

Yes. This may be a route to get my non $600 walker bag!

1 Like

Now all we need to do is get a Peter Jacobsen edition.

Can I pre-order a custom bag with alpaca-lined pockets and strap?

5 Likes

you gonna do a collab with Seamus?

I have nothing to add from the “process” standpoint, but happy to participate if the bag is in the Philly/NYC area.

Do this right and you could have a nice little side hustle making 4-5 clones of the bag to travel around.

Sort of like how the Stanley Cup has a couple of replicas.

1 Like

Man my fiancé is not going to be happy when she finds out I’m turning our house into a sewing shop on a whim.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Sew faster, Cody wants a pony.

2 Likes

As I mentioned in the Silk Road, all in on this idea. I’d also be pretty stoked if I could carry this thing across to pond (riding in the cockpit of course, and I’ll drop a few liquor minis in the pocket) while I’m working, play a round with it o’er there, and perhaps drop it off to an International Refugee.

1 Like

Man it is nice having an international pilot that can get overseas refugees in on the fun.

Between this bag (and more generally the idea and shenanigans that will ensue) and BCN’s nearing completion the refuge has a lot of excitement in its near future.

This is great, I have so many questions!
How will the bag function design wise to survive its travels around the world, are you looking for input tips?
Will it have a nice box?
Will you post the making process with plans?
Can we add a European bag to the mix?
If so, maybe I can make one to start in the Netherlands and eventually send it over to the RACDG

2 Likes

I’d be happy to help source materials for a European bag. It’ll have to be made out of heavy duty canvas like this:

https://www.attwoollsmanufacturing.co.uk/fabrics/canvas-fabric/407-m-rip-stop-canvas-width-91cm/

If we’re going for a Seamus bag look, we’ll need some heavy duty “Thornproof” tweed:

The strap can be simple cotton canvas webbing with brass hardwear.

I’m not sure what is needed to sew leather to canvas (I’m useless when it comes to sewing, it took me three months to make my simple apron at High School Home Economics), but it’d be great to have a leather base.

Hard to say without seeing it, but that heavy duty canvas looks a little too heavy duty, it’s more like a truck tarp. Something closer to 250-350g, like a waxed cotton (Barbour coat) will be more comfortable to carry and definitely easier to work with. Sewing comes down to having the right needles and an industrial / semi-industrial sewing machine if possible. The Seamus bag is not too complicated body, strap, fasteners and stitching wise. Just takes a bit of planning to know which pieces to stitch first.

Like this stuff:

https://www.britishmillerain.com/product/lickwax/

In 360 g/m.

Having worn a barbour coat for many years, they are not particularly durable so we should probably verge on the heavier side.

1 Like

my first thought was that we have to…AND I MEAN HAVE TO…keep all the tags on this SOB from places played. Like have it be half the weight of the bag by the time it’s all done.

On second thought it’s a terrible idea, which is probably why I love it so so so much.

4 Likes

the bag tag chatter is going to be tremendous

Spot on, looking good.