Roll Call: Wisconsin - We're So Back

MCC and Riveredge have gone to complete shit. I don’t hate the Ridges though - the back 9 is kinda dumb and they always have renovations half-completed but it’s Rapids so we’ll take what we can get. It’s not a desert like Tri City or routed on 2 acres like Homestead (I learned to golf at Homestead & the owner is a great guy).

SW just came out with a statement that they’re looking at opening the pro shop, PJ’s, fieldhouse, etc on 6/1. The course is closed until August because they’re apparently tricking it out a bit for the Senior Open. Sentry had a good year last year, they didn’t need the income at all and have been very cautious with COVID stuff.

They can do whatever they want, I really don’t care. But I can hardly recommend anyone that’s visiting to go play it being that there’s a good chance it’s closed for one reason or another.

1 Like

Affected Area

Portions of south central Wisconsin

Description

…WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING… WHAT…Wet, slushy snow followed by light freezing rain/drizzle. Total snow accumulations ranging from 2 to 4 inches and minor ice accumulations.

1 Like

Where is the dislike button for this specific post…

Listen… don’t shoot the messenger…

Interesting holes and stories.

I’d have to break things down into three categories: nostalgic, current home course, and then everything else.

Nostalgic - I grew up on Skyline GC in Black River Falls. If I had to pick a hole there it would be #4, which is a short par 4 (277 from the middle tees and 320-something I think from the tips). It’s the first par 4 I drove (and made the putt), but more importantly, it holds the moment that hooked me on golf. My Dad took me out for the first time when I was about seven after I started taking chunks out of our yard with his clubs. I topped the ball around for the first three (and a third) holes, but on the fourth, on what was probably my fourth or fifth shot, I hit a beautiful (for a 7yo) 5-iron that went about 75 yards and cleared the gully that bisects the hole. Instantly hooked.

Current home course - University Ridge. Probably #2, Zigzag. Options galore on your first two shots. Take on the carry and make it, you have a mid iron or so into the green. Play it safe out to the left and you still have a shot at the green, but it’s blind to a green with lots of issues all around.

Other - I could probably pick half a dozen holes at Sand Valley across the entire facility, but I’d have to save #8 on SV. Such a simple looking hole that is made such a challenge being up on top of the hill exposed so much to the wind.

1 Like

Glenway project is a go

8 Likes

Awesome news! Glad to see the city didn’t find a way to screw this up. Will be watching for some tree removal and dirt pushing to start soon.

1 Like

Let me know when you start to see things happen. I’d love to get my drone up and document a bit of the transformation.

Hell, I should probably get out there before they start doing anything to get the before… GO AWAY SNOW!

Definitely. I walked the course/took a conference call on Friday to try to picture some of the changes they show on the drawings. If they can execute on the vision they are really going to maximize the space available and get rid of some underutilized space. Hopefully the snow is gone by this weekend. Let me know if you make it out there at some point!

The southwest commuter bike path goes right past glenway. I’m going to be rubbernecking an awful lot this summer on that path.

1 Like

Group golfer has a $25 deal at Waushara CC in Wautoma, WI. Anyone played there before? Thoughts on it?

I played a couple high school tournaments at WCC. It’s 27 holes, but we only played the Lakeview and Bridges 9s.

$25 is a good deal and you’ll get your money’s worth. If I recall correctly it’s your standard upper-Midwest decent public course. Some of the holes have decent elevation changes, and there’s a good variety of holes.

1 Like

Are you in the La Crosse area as well?

All who have signed up for the matchplay:

I have created a thread (currently pending) for the event. Once that is live, I will post the link here, as well.

There were some play in games because of numbers, but absolutely looking forward to getting things kicked off before too long. I know there was interest from some in @PTM’s Rumspringa event, so hopefully we can get some things done there, if people are interested.

That’s all I have for now. Looking forward to meeting all of you through one event or another this coming year!

1 Like

Things moved quickly. We have a thread everybody!

1 Like

Great list but I would replace Horseshoe Bay & Hidden Glen with Kenosha CC and West Bend CC, they should be in the top 12 ahead of Strawberry Creek. They’re private but fantastic courses, KCC especially after the 5 year restoration (pure 1922 Ross design). I also would place Lawsonia, SV & MD ahead of Blackwolf River for sheer fun, playability & design.

1 Like

Hi guis-
Just wanted to let you know that I’m an idiot and created an event that’s being hosted in Winona, MN. Shout out to the world’s largest 6 pack in Lacrosse

3 Likes

FYI for anybody in the Central Wisconsin area - @jsauce and I are playing at Pine Valley on Sunday (weather permitting). Anybody interested in joining?

3 Likes