Roll Call: Wisconsin - We're So Back

Pretty excited about it. Started planning at the end of last summer, and its coming together. 14 different courses, all new to me.

2 Likes

you using caddies when you can?

never used one till EH and it was a blast

1 Like

Definitely using a caddie where available. Will have one at Erin Hills for sure, that place just looks massive.

2 Likes

Planning a mid-Sept trip with my dad and brothers, going to be working from Madison northward and looping around back to Madison (it’s a central meeting point for us to carpool from). I’d appreciate any input for courses between Lawsonia and down to Milwaukee and then between Milwaukee and Madison that I might’ve missed in my research; that area is kind of a blind spot golf-wise for me. Rough itinerary now is:

Day 1 - Glen Golf Park in Madison and up to Stevens Point CC
Day 2 - all day Lawsonia
Day 3 - Washington County and Brown Deer
Day 4 - Lac La Belle and The Oaks (Cottage Grove)

Appreciate any insight! We thought about squeezing EH in, but it was either that once or LLB, Lawsonia, SPCC and we opted for quantity this trip.

1 Like

Eagle Springs is the course between Milwaukee and Madison you’re looking for.

10 Likes

(Almost) literally anything but The Oaks. :laughing:

Honestly I’d rather spend 3 hours on the putting course at LLB over playing The Oaks.

University Ridge would be a great substitute too.

Other than that, no notes really solid choices!

6 Likes

You’d be lucky to play the oaks in 5 hours, I wish I was joking, but I’ve played out there a few times and it’s been 5.5 hours rounds. Truly in the running for worst course in the area

Between Lawsonia and Milwaukee there is a course called Old Hickory in Beaver Dam that is good.

Instead of The Oaks, you could stay in the area of LLB and play Naga-Waukee, Western Lakes, or Ironwood.

5 Likes

This is correct.

1 Like

Neil dropping a “One call, that’s all” on today’s podcast was a bit jarring.

8 Likes

@blakehall is right. If you’re willing to drive from LLB to the Oaks just drive a little further and play University Ridge, awesome course.

Also as a side note, LLB and University Ridge are near the top of my “rental carts are really damn nice” list.

1 Like

Buuuuuuuuuuumping this here because the weather today screams SIM EVENT. 6 bays reserved at Xgolf Mequon, 3/16, 8-11pm. 2 bays will be an 8 person Ryder Cup against NSU, 4 bays will be whatever the hell we want.

2 Likes

Caveat always being, if we can get to even 4s on both sides, we can kick their ass even harder with more people.

2 Likes

My long and silly message didn’t get too much traction in Roll Call Indiana so this will be short and sweet.

Second City’s March Mudness event has a raffle coming up that includes rounds at private courses well worth the drive from Wisconsin to the Chicagoland area: Aurora CC, Black Sheep Golf Club, Olympia Fields North

Virtual Raffle tickets can be bought! See original post below for more details.

4 Likes

I grew up in Aurora. Never played aurora CC, but is it on the level of black sheep and Olympia?

great courses though

No lol. But it’s a fun place to play

4 Likes

Hey man, fellow Wisconsin guy here and also completely addicted at around a 14 handicap. I work in Madison and play some of the courses around here often so if you ever want to play a round let me know! I’m playing Door Creek in Cottage Grove and The Glen Golf Park in Madison this weekend

8 Likes

We have a lovely contingent in Madison in the roost. Feel free to stop by the discord, introduce yourself, and settle in for the fun.

4 Likes

Where you coming from? Midwest guy? or one of the coasts?