Roll Call: Wisconsin - We're So Back

Tell me the Golf & Bowl made it ok. That is if the Golf & Bowl still exists.

1 Like

Hello everybody, looking for some #feedback. I gotta run up to Kohler on Friday to pick up the uniform for my completely free volunteer position that definitely didn’t require shelling out $275+ to the PGA overlords. Since I’ll be in the area, I’ve decided to check out some new courses. I’m for sure going to Sunset Hills Par 3 in the morning (seems like a fun little track) but the rest of the day is up in the air - currently deciding between Sheboygan T&C & Riverdale. Both seem like pretty average courses and am leaning Riverdale mainly due to its age but was wondering if anyone had any good advice.

I would suggest Riverdale over T&C, though not by much. Neither is going to be anything to write home about.

If you’re looking for something in that price range, I would suggest Quit Qui Oc in Elkhart Lake or Autumn Ridge in Valders. Not sure the exact direction you’re coming from, but both are close enough to Kohler that they’re not that much ‘out of the way.’

2 Likes

Thought I would share this here. Early workings of a meet up in Des Moines next year focused on the original strapped season courses and the Iowa State Fair.

Return to the Birthplace of Strapped

Feel free to jump in if interested

1 Like

It looks like Fox Hollow to me. I always hated the tee shot in the second picture. (Hole 4?)

1 Like

Curious, is it possible for a single to just golf the Sandbox at Sand Valley? Dropping my buddy off at the MKE Airport at 4:30 am after the Ryder Cup and want to hit up a short course on my way back to Mpls.

I’ve done it before. Mid-afternoon on a Saturday without any issue. Give them a call!

(My round was “slow” due to being a single behind other groups, but there was no one behind me so I played both tees on just about every hole and took multiple shots for the hell of it at times as well.)

To second what @chrisisoutrunning said, you can do it. I have done it a few times. I have joined up with another random group or 2 or 3 and played the whole thing on my own. Post Ryder Cup, you might be running into more people than “normal” but shouldn’t have an issue getting on.

Absolutely! It’s super laid back and they’d be happy to let you on. Heck, you can even take your shoes off and do it barefoot (most do)

Thanks for the intel - actually played Quit Qui Oc last week and that place is a beauty. Great piece of property, so much undulation, and some really cool green locations - not to mention the fairways are playing firm and fast right now. All for $31 walking. Looked at Autumn Ridge and was ready to book but unfortunately there are no tee times available when I need them to be - so Riverdale here we come haha.

1 Like

@midwestgolfbum @jsauce that’s awesome to hear, figured it would be a fun thing to do on my way home. Only hear great things about it. Do you have to make a reservation a certain amount of time out? (ie 7 days, 10, days, 30 days)

1 Like

I’ve done both reservation a week or so out and shown up because I was in the area. Neither seemed better than the other.

I’d be interested to see what a typical tee sheet looks like for The Sandbox. My immediate assumption is that it’s “busy” first thing in the morning, in the middle of the day, and then at the end of the day. Basically people using it to squeeze in something before/between/after rounds. Therefore there would be plenty of mid morning and afternoon availability.

2 Likes

We drove up last Sunday just to play the Sandbox. Gets a little busy in the afternoon, but probably won’t be an issue.

I think it was $68 bucks to play the Sandbox last Sunday. The rub is it’s the only course you don’t get a discount on a replay.

Wonder how beat up it would get if they stepped down the discount for each trip: 25% for 34, 50% for 51, 75% for 68. Or even an all day pass for non-resort guests for…$150 - $175? Feel this option could really get messy with golf trips though!

I thought I heard something that you can play The Sandbox for free if you do a 36-hole day. Anyone else heard something like this?

1 Like

If you play 36 holes, you can play any course for free that same day.

1 Like

18 holes = standard rate for MD/SV
36 holes = 1/2 rate for your second course between MD/SV
53/54 = free golf

On their solstice tournament day, if you can manage to play 72 holes, they hand you $100 bill as you walk off the green

2 Likes

@TCRBrad talked to them about something like this and they basically said “yeah, we’re good, thanks though” when it came to any kind of discount. In fact, I think it was actually slightly more for a “play all day” situation.

1 Like