Roll Call: Washington DC/DMV Area

That’s great news! I was really hoping to get down and play the DC courses this summer, but with everything going on, I’ve decided to just stay local for now. But this is very exciting. Any estimates on a time line?

Recent interview with Mike McCartin in which he goes into some detail on the specific proposals for each property - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WWP2sYspwg

Rock Creek (26 min mark)
East Potomac (29 min mark)
Langston (35 min mark)

The changes at East Potomac would most significantly impact the white course/driving range to allow for an authentic restoration of the blue, with the red course shifting slightly and taking over the practice holes.

2 Likes

I quite literally always forget the practice holes exist. Thanks for jumping in with such a great resource!!

I’m in Arlington and East Potomac is definitely my “home course,” and can’t wait for the renovation. Currently buying a house in Vienna so will need to make a point to trek down there for an inexpensive Sunday round.

1 Like

has anyone actually rented out one of the practice holes? I have not, but it feels like something I should have done multiple times by now.

For folks who can’t listen right now:

Rock Creek

• Full length, 3300y 9 hole course based on OG William Flynn routing
  • 9 hole par 3 course
  • Driving range

East Potomac

• 18 hole reversible course (week to week or day to day reversibility) based on the OG Walter Travis routing, basically where the Blue course is plus the 18th hole going through “the portion of the driving range that’s closest to the clubhouse”.
  • Driving range has to move, depends on approvals from who gets to weigh in from the historical standpoint. Preferred to move into the space of the 7th, 8th, and 9th holes of the White course.
  • The White course shifts to occupy the rest of the driving range space not taken up by the finishing hole on Blue. Same length and types of holes as now.
  • Red course would be maintained as a par 3 course incorporating the current practice holes, but would be redesigned in some capacity (not clear to what extent).
  • Still 36 holes!! Nice.

Langston

• Make it so you can see the river from every hole (right now you can really only kind of see it on 10 and 13).
  • Make golfers aware when the routing dips out to the island.
  • Remove tons and tons and tons of invasive vegetation along the shoreline and throughout the property.
  • Rebuild the driving range, improve the details of the golf course. The routing would not massively change.
7 Likes

I’m here for whatever responses you get. It’s always something I consider doing but never actually pull the trigger.

1 Like

I’ve used the practice holes a number of times. Not a bad option to kill an hour after work, bunkers leave a lot to be desired as you can imagine, but you can work on a number of different shots from 100 yards and in. I think it is slightly overpriced for what it is though, especially considering you can play the red course for $5 less in probably the same amount of time and get a little more variety.

3 Likes

Don’t live in the DC area yet, but hopefully moving soon. The only friends I have out there are, quite frankly, beyond awful at golf, so when I make it out I’d love to play with some Refugees. Here’s to hoping it’s soon.

5 Likes

I have a bunch actually. You can often times just walk out to them and there’s balls already out there to use.

The bunkers on practice hole #2 are in good shape now or were last week. If you get creative and walk out a little you can stretch one of two of the holes to 130 yards or so.

In celebration of the DC muni renovation news, I’m gonna go lose these balls around the area.

7 Likes

This is dope. Three stars for three phenomenal courses on the way!!

2 Likes

Hello everyone, I just moved down to dc from upstate new york and have no clue what are some of the better golf courses in the area. Any suggestions on where to go?

1 Like

Sure, there’s plenty, but you’ll have to drive outside of the city for the better tracks. In DC you’ve got East Potomac, Langston, and Rock Creek.

In Maryland:
Falls Road
Blue Mash
Queenstown Harbor
Whiskey Creek

Virginia:
Westfields
Bull Run
Stonewall
Twin Lakes

1 Like

Great list. Really I think this part of the country is completely spoiled for above-average pay to play options, though there are also a ton of golfers so it can be tough to find a tee time. There are four or five courses over by Whiskey Creek that are great, and tons of courses within a 2-3 hour drive of DC that would make for a great weekend trip.

1 Like

Yeah no one ever wants to take me up on free round offers

1 Like

I’m going to be moving over most of the july weekends but I’m definitely down once I get settled into the new place

2 Likes

I’m playing old white tpc on saturday, total out the door after tip to forecaddie will be $106. If I find any more of those type deals I’ll holler too.

3 Likes

yeeeesh that’s good

1 Like

I’ve got my first preliminary job interview for DC on Monday, albeit over the phone. I am sure this will be a lengthy process and I’m not going to get ahead of myself as I’m sure they have a lot of candidates who are more experienced than I am, but maybe this will be happening sooner rather than later. If so, I will be down for things like that once I get out there.

3 Likes