Roll Call: Washington DC/DMV Area

Posted this in the VA Roll Call, but also going to give it a shot here:

Living in the Boston area, but going to be be in Warrenton VA (can I say NoVA without sounding like a dweeb?) for a month during the holidays at the in-laws and hoping to peg it. No one in my wife’s family really plays so to the Refuge I turn.

Last year when we were down we had great weather and I snuck out to Stonewall and Bull Run. I thought both were good deals and in relatively good shape considering it was the end of December. I’d probably give the edge to Stonewall though in terms of design and conditioning.

Anyway, looking for people to play with or suggestions on where else to play in the area, thanks!

So @DC3Putter put together a mass email chain for everyone that opted in on the above Google Sheet, but it’s tough to coordinate because no one (rightfully) wants to reply all back and forth enough to get a solid tee time or “league” format decided on. What do y’all think about setting up a WhatsApp (or Discord/GroupMe) thread to book some rounds, and then start to put together a structured rota as mentioned above?

I’m not sure which of those three platforms is easiest, as I’m not a current user of any of them, but I know that different RACDG chapters and the like use all of them. Thoughts?

GroupMe is probably the easiest. Use it for a couple different groups and have never had any issues.

Correction. We use GroupMe not WhatsApp

2 Likes

I prefer WhatsApp because it’s a bit easier to keep up with multiple threads and functions basically like a traditional messaging app, but whatever works for me

2 Likes

After reading up on some of the features that WhatsApp has for groups like this, I think that’s gonna be the move.

I saw on a post in another thread that @JMAGS (as chapter captain of the DMV chapter of RACDG) was considering putting together a WhatsApp group a couple months back. Should we merge those efforts and just take the plunge on making up that RACDG group now?

6 Likes

Never used any of these apps personally, but this sounds like an awesome idea and would make finding a game very easy. Looking forward to it.

I also have no experience with either app (it’s funny how you can feel SO old at 36 lol), but I’ll join whichever one we decide to go with.

1 Like

Added WhatsApp to my strong social media networking game.

1 Like

yeah lets get this started. Everyone who wants to be added to the WhatsApp group can either fill out the attached google doc, or if you don’t want your phone # for all to see, you can send me a DM with your info and I will add you to the group that way. Thanks to @BogeyFree99 for getting this kick started.

1 Like

Or you can try this link to join via whats app. Let me know if this method doesn’t work.

6 Likes

I made the same mistake with my attempt at an email thread, but the google doc appears to be in view only.

Hmmmm…I will take a look at that but using the WhatsApp link seems to be the easier method anyway. Maybe just try the link to the chat instead?

Right… would help if I had read that next comment, classic.

1 Like

Moving to Arlington next week. Looking to #getinvolved. I’ve lived all over the DMV but never actually played in DC or real close by. Hoping to make it out a few times this winter.

5 Likes

Welcome! Things are moving quickly with changes to the Refuge, so we’re making sure people looking to get involved join the local WhatsApp group

1 Like

I will be working up in DC/Alexandria after Christmas through New Years.

One, will any courses be open?

Two, what should I do with my free time in terms of seeing things or places I must eat at given COVID closings?

I haven’t been to DC in 8 years, so not sure what if anything has changed.

1 Like

Courses will definitely be open. In terms of free time, there are a lot of great restaurants doing takeout, so you can still get a lot of good food amidst the pandemic closings.

1 Like

Only concern for courses in the Northeast are frost and snow. No snow in the long-range forecast, so the only concern would be a morning frost delay.

As for things to do, depending on how much you’re into this, I’d hit up the outside monuments and go past the National Christmas tree. I haven’t been downtown since pre-COVID, so I have no clue what the crowds are like.

1 Like

what course is right off 66? I made a run up there on sat and saw that and was depressed

Any specific public one’s I should play?