Roll Call: Washington DC/DMV Area

Welcome! Discord and WhatsApp chats

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay here, meant to come back and read out. In short, it was awesome.

It’s not Bandon or Streamsong or whatever obviously, but otherwise I have to think Ocean City is a Top 5 underrated golf destination, especially for a bros trip and especially for mid handicaps who aren’t interested in playing the absolute best courses they can.

Courses were very solid against my expectations and I was pleasantly surprised by the Glen Riddle courses given the discussion above. My favorite was probably Rum Pointe (though oddly I think the first four holes are pretty throw-away.) OCGC Newport was lovely as well though we had a lot of wind and didn’t know the proper line on a few holes , so I think we’d enjoy it more next time through.

Cambria lodging was also better than servicable, especially for the price. And have to shout out to Ruark for putting all this together for us with basically no labor on my end.

We hit the Purple Moose late night Saturday which was a delight. Also did Ruth’s Chris at Glen Riddle since we were zonked after two rounds and it was right there - was fine but I probably don’t need to do again.

Lost a nice little bit of cash at Ocean Downs but I won it back on the course so we’re gucci.

Thanks again for those that weighed in - happy to answer more Qs if anyone has them.

4 Likes

@alb @KeithLaster @Ofrygolf @_Ox and @rcola24, got you all added to the group!! let me know if you have any questions.

5 Likes

I’m going to take the opposite side of that one. I took my first OCMD golf trip this past weekend and, boy, I couldn’t have been any less impressed. OCGC was a particularly miserable experience – slow rounds, bad service, and mediocre courses. Golf at Glenriddle was good enough, but your post-round clubhouse bar is a Ruth Chris’? Not my cup of tea.

2 Likes

I was surprised to see OCGC praised by some. Personally I think both courses are mediocre and are in no way shape or form “resort” courses. Newport Bay has views but the golf isn’t really that great.

Registration is open now for our most local event of the season! Let me know if you have any questions.

1 Like

“Mediocre” is generous for the Seaside course. I didn’t hate Newport, but the 2 target golf par 5s were terrible (acknowledging that the designer had the water/marsh to work around).

1 Like

6 on Newport Bay might be one of the worst holes I’ve ever played. It’s a giant middle finger to any new golfer, and there’s no strategy to the hole. It stinks and there’s no way around that fact.

3 Likes

appreciated the Falls Road rec. Was able to get out there last weekend and enjoyed the course.

2 Likes

I used this thread to help get some ideas on an OCMD trip last weekend and wanted to leave some thoughts in case anyone is doing the same. Our trip was 8 guys Thursday through Sunday. We stayed right on the water in Ocean Pines and the location was prime.

For Golf:

1. A few played Eagles Landing on Thursday and loved it. They said it was just over $60 after 1pm.
  2. Friday we played River Run, which was literally our last choice based on some things I had heard. The course was…fine. The range balls are foam and the restaurant wasn’t even open at 9 am for breakfast. At $125, this course is severely overpriced.
  3. After a night at Ocean Downs, we slept in and played a scramble round at Nutters Crossing in Salisbury. 30 minutes away and only $69 on the weekend, this course was perfect for what we wanted. Tons of gear with “The Nutt” on it too.
  4. Rum Pointe is truly an amazing course. Beautiful property right on the water and very well maintained. We got a breezy day in the 70s and could not have been luckier. While the water holes are fun, the inland holes to start the back (10-12) are the best on the course. At $190, I would play this course several times over.

Outside of the rounds, we also went into OC to play Old Pro Mini Golf and have some beers at Macky’s (which is a must visit imho). OCMD will be in the rotation for the group for while, especially in the summer off season.

6 Likes

Hello fellow patriots :saluting_face:

I’m headed to our nation’s great capitol from the PNW next week for a psychology conference. If I can I’d like to play East Potomac while I’m there. Is there anyone in the area that would be interested in joining? I am thinking Thursday the 25th, looks like there are still times on the blue course, but open to other days if it means more people can play. Hope I can meet a few other Nesticles!

3 Likes

I can join you Thursday if it was early in the morning, such as before 830.

I could play Friday whenever.

No matter what, you will find some sickos that are available

2 Likes

Gents - I’m sure we’re all Strapped boys at heart around here, but curious if anyone has any intel on the downstrokes and monthly fee info for some local private clubs. Curious in particular about Belle Haven, Mount Vernon, Kenwood, and Woodmore, but would take any info you got. FWIW, I’m 35. And yes I know it’s going to be a huge kick in the dick compared to a lot of other markets across the country. Just wondering quite how much.

2 Likes

Belle Haven is 80k initiation (they ended their under-40 joiner program, which was a tad cheaper) and probably 400-600 a month. And I’m pretty sure they have a waitlist but take that with a grain of salt

That’s a healthyyyy number. Thanks for the info.

Former, very short-time member of Woodmore here. You could do worse, but you could also do much, much better.

Extremely affordable by the area’s standards. I think I paid $2k initiation (this was a special offer at the time, not sure of any offers since). The course layout is pretty fun and can be quite challenging.

The conditions leave something to be desired, though I guess you get what you pay for. But my biggest complaint was the way the club itself was managed. Some nice people, but it just added up to be too frustrating. Some highlights for me…

• Everything I ordered through the pro shop was screwed up in some way (clubs with the wrong specs, a Titleist order of Pro V1s that were supposed to be #21 that ended up being regular balls #1-4 with “21” printed on the side, etc.), my locker’s name plate was spelled incorrectly before they ordered a replacement, which was also spelled incorrectly
  • Countless events that were heavily advertised but just never happened due to a lack of organization. Some where they’d advertise it but never do anything else and it would never happen…some where they’d discuss it, such as a Masters weekend event, and then the weekend would come and go without anything…
  • This seems to be an issue for this area generally, so probably not fair to blame Woodmore, but I also did not have the easiest time getting tee times. It was very similar to East Potomac - for weekend mornings, you must get them as soon as they open up the week before or you can forget it. Not a huge deal really, but bothered me enough to contribute to me leaving

This is also a personal thing, but I also came to find that the club was just a bitch to get to. That was probably one of my biggest problems with it, and of course it’s my own fault, not theirs.

I’d be happy to answer any more specific questions you have, but I’d only join Woodmore if you live nearby and know what you’re getting and are fine with it.

2 Likes

I’m at Lansdowne, young executive membership still available. DM me, will go into greater detail.

1 Like

I have one spot available tomorrow morning at St Potomac links @810 am with myself and PNW visitor @BitsandPieces01 !

Edit: spot filled

2 Likes

Where will you be living?

Navy Yard for me, which is somewhat complicating. Willing to go far-ish into VA, less far-ish into MD, just given how the rest of my life is laid out.

1 Like