Roll Call: Virginia

Tough to think of two more disparate courses and vibes.

this is the understatement of a life time

1 Like

high of 52 and sunny here in the nokey pokey on sunday, sounds like a great chance for a 3 hour walk

You guys getting any snow from this storm? It’s saturated already down here we don’t need any more rain

Nah this time I’m on the wrong side of the blue ridge, maybe a little slush today but thats it.

Former D3 athlete (XC and Lacrosse) checking in from Huntingdon College in Montgomery AL. Oddly enough, Maryville is one of our big rivals. Small world.

1 Like

Taking a trip from Oregon in April and will be going back and forth between VA and SC. Will be there about 12 days and I’m looking to play 3 or 4 times. What’s the place I can and need to play in VA if I get a chance?

Royal New Kent would be my recommendation, but there are a lot of options. Where in VA will you be?

1 Like

Spending some time the the Leesburg area and then near the mouth of the Rappahannock River (Cobbs Creek area), seems kinda out there. Then we’ll trek down to Columbia, SC to visit some friends.

Turns out Royal New Kent is only 45 min away from Cobbs Creek location where we’ll be spending a few days so I am definitely adding that to the itinerary, I’ve always wanted to play a Strantz.

2 Likes

If you’re ever off 81 down by roanoke (if you were taking 77 south to SC) I got a round on me at my club anytime in you’re in the area

1 Like

Whoa, don’t hear about many people going to Cobbs Creek. I’ve been going out to Mathews Co, VA since a kid and my folks now live out there. RNK is worth the drive for sure. If for some reason you want to also play a closer joint, check out Piankatank River Golf Club. A really fun course with variety and some great holes.

2 Likes

You should be going right by Pinehurst, which has a plethora of excellent courses on and off the resort. If you have time to stop between VA and SC

I can fit two rounds in the Pinehurst area so I’m thinking 2 of either Mid pines, pine needles, or tobacco road.

Hey folks!

Long time listener first time poster. Live in Arlington but a member at University of Maryland. Where you guys at?

All hail Whole Foods

Another grocery chain looking to #getinvolved

Please advise @Tron and @Randy

1 Like

Drove by the UMD course on Sunday for the first time after doing curbside pickup at the IKEA across the highway—looks like a nice course! What are your thoughts on it?

I can’t recommend it enough. Tee times are a bargain, membership under 35 is an absolute steal 1400 for the year.

Course conditions are pretty fair considering the time of year. There’s some low lying areas that can get pretty wet but they’ve done some drainage work over the winter that’s already showing improvements. I’d say the greens are among the best public greens in the area( I’d say very close with whiskey creek and Westfield’s. They were rolling so good and so fast up until January. Layout is very fun, you’ll hit every club in the bag.

Area around the course is an absolute dump and it’s a pain to get to from Virginia but the driving time is 30 min. It takes me longer to get to the courses in manasas.

1 Like

Terp alum here, played the course a lot back in the day but not so much now. Always loved the track though, some really cool holes. 1 and 2 are pretty much the exact opposite of the “easy handshake” opener. They played a Korn Ferry (Nationwide Tour back then) event there in 2010, which I thought was pretty cool. The course got a huge makeover for that and they flipped the 9s for the tournament. Won by the Solicitor General Tommy Gainey lol.

1 Like

@Wholefoods The course sounds wonderful and welcome!

@RPM I presume there are no plaques around the course honoring Tommy Two Gloves’ triumph at this time?

1 Like