Roll Call: Virginia

Appreciate the heads up. I’m bailing on OM. Just accepted an invite to Sweetens Cove.

5 Likes

Somebody just got upgraded to first class!

2 Likes

Thinking about getting a smaller, informal VA meet up type event going here soon.

I can host if need be, but thinking somewhere a little further north would be best at this point.

Any interest in something late April- Mid may smaller meetup maybe 16 slots or so?

Anyone between like Harrisonburg and Nova interested in hosting?

5 Likes

I would be down. I am in Staunton.

1 Like

so, Front Royal and Bowling Green CC - 2 diff 18s

thinking this would be a great place for a 36 day refuge meet up deal

I bet if I can them I could get some decent play rates after that day for 16 of us or so.

3 Likes

Looks like a good spot. As a lazy person I like that it’s only an hour from here (NOVA).

3 Likes

yeah I’m setting it up and I’ll more than likely need a hotel myself

One thought could be schoolhouse 9. 25 bucks for an all day pass means people could pair up as desired, and supplement the day in and out of the pub on site that has pinball, pool, shuffleboard, ect.

only a 9 holer, but could be good for interaction with one another

8 Likes

that’s a damn good idea man

2 Likes

ill happily slug a few IPAs and get too damn competitive on the airhockey table

2 Likes

I just introduced my teenager to the air hockey table, he’s still butthurt

1 Like

This would be awesome.

1 Like

As someone with extensive experience in the Front Royal area golf scene, Bowling Green is a solid play. The north course is a little bit away from the south. Definitely not far, but they have two clubhouses and it’s not a walkable distance. I mean, unless you’re ultra committed to walking a few miles.

Shenandoah is another one. 27 hole layout, but they usually only send off of two nines per day. At least that was my last few trips out there over the years. Also, the last time I played there it was in not great shape. I’ll gladly do some recon before whatever date is set and report back.

Nicest course in that area is going to be Blue Ridge Shadows. It’s one of my favorites in the state in general, and for those folks who would need a hotel, there’s one practically on property. It’s right off the left side of the 16th fairway. I played it a few weeks ago and it was in peak form.

I’m out that way often to visit my mom/some friends, so if I can be of any assistance in the setup, just let me know!

3 Likes

I’m happy to organize anything, just need some feet on the ground. typically i’d just ask if they’d be willing to give us 4 back to back tee times if we book in advance and assure that all 4 spots are filled.

2 Likes

I can definitely get out there and poke around and see what the conditties are like. Been wanting to get back out to BG anyway.

One thing I didn’t consider last night is that Blue Ridge Shadows is a pretty tough walk. It’s definitely doable, but it’s not ideal. The first tee is a good ways away from the clubhouse and #1 is mostly downhill with #2 being completely uphill. It flattens out after that, but there are some ravines on #4 and #7. Pretty significant downhill/uphill trek on #1 as well. #10 is an uphill par 3 with #11 being a downhill par 4, then it’s back uphill to #12 and then pretty flat from there. The worst walk is going to be from #14 green to #15 tee. The tee box is up near the clubhouse and it’s probably 75-80 feet higher than the fairway. The walk from #18 green back to the clubhouse is no joke either.

Again, it IS walkable, but it’s pretty draining. Just a heads up for the folks who are diehard walkers.

2 Likes

I gotta make a run to DC next fri, thinking about a stop up that way at some point.

I posted in WV roll call thread already. I got a father son group of 4 we are planning for Glade Springs this June and we will stay at the Inn there.

What yall think of this below course order/plan?
+Travel/Drive Thur night, Sun afternoon
+Round 1: Fri Mid AM Cobb
+Round 2: Sat Mid AM Woodhaven
+Round 3: Sun Early AM Stonehaven

Any comments/recs are welcome since only 1 of us has been to GS. Any good 9 hole adders in area or recommend replay 9s? I didn’t see much around outside glade springs. Cheers!

2 Likes

I don’t work on Fridays usually. If you wanna get together and play a round out that way, let me know.

1 Like

Hey Guys I’m in the Rockbridge County area and our Muni in Buena Vista just got shut down so I am trying to figure out where to play now as I don’t enjoy LGCC very much. I’d also love to play with other people so let me know if you are a golfer in Staunton or Roanoake or something and we should meet up and play sometime!

1 Like

I play at Ashley Plantation off of 81 exit 150, should be about 45 minutes from you. Anytime you wanna play other than this saturday cuz im booked, holler at me.

1 Like