Roll Call: Utah

Nice after work 9 at Glendale today

2 Likes

First time playing Fox Hollow this afternoon. Couple of the holes were a little odd, but overall thought it was a really fun course with really firm greens. A goal of mine is to check out more of the Utah County courses this year, so off to a good start. Hobble Creek and a return trip to TalonsCove are next.

2 Likes

Let me know when you head back and let’s hooknup

1 Like

You know it! Which course do you like down there?

Went down to St George a few weeks ago for the UGA “Winterchamps” tournament. It’s a 2 day, modified stableford format. Got to play Sky Mountain and Green Springs.

Sky Mountain-

The course was OK, course knowledge would’ve helped on a few holes. It’s not super long, focus should primarily be on accuracy off the tee. Anything in the desert is an automatic layup if you’re lucky to find your ball. Greens were super bumpy.

Green Springs-

A little longer than Sky Mountain but still reachable on the par 5’s. Accuracy over distance is again the focus. Greens were smooth and ran fast, I know because I putted off the 18th green :sweat_smile:. Has some cool holes that require hitting over ravines into the green. Pictured above are the 5th and 6th. #5 played as 165 yd par 3 over a deep ravine and #6 played 430 yd par 4, fairway only 250 yd long so driver not an option. That means 2nd shot is likely 200 yds back over the ravine unless you’re brave enough to go up the right and risk going in. Would recommend this course over Sky Mtn.

Finished 9th of 19 in my flight having never played this tournament before, so I’m pumped about that. It’s a fun event if any of you have a UGA card. You can request playing partners for the 1st day so if you have some buddies to go with there’s that option. Would 100% recommend playing at least once.

2 Likes

I haven’t played in any UGA events, but signed up for one next month. Are they pretty good events? UGA does a good job and all that?

Yeah they’re well run. They usually send out emails the week of the tournament detailing tee times and pairings. Scorecards and pin sheets are all ready for you when checking in the day of the tournament. While scorecards are still used, they’ve also moved to live scoring on the golf genius app. Usually one guy volunteers to keep track of the group scores. I haven’t won any money yet so I don’t know how quickly your winnings are available. But I haven’t found anything to complain about aside from my own performance in their events.

1 Like

Circling back around here to see if this is going to get legs or not. Happy to help however I can.

The SW Roost is rolling, and there is still time to join and qualify.

No major events required this first year, as we are just having a 6 round quota minimum qualifying format with the top 4 qualifiers going to San Diego sometime in July to take on the RACDG LowCal roost.

I’ll go ahead and add you to the group so you can access our roost specific threads:

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/c/community/sw-roost-runners/64

Anyone else who’d like to join, go ahead and send me a DM and I’ll give you access as well.

1 Like

Any locals care to join for an afternoon 9 at Bonnie tomorrow with @AOkland and myself? 4:40pm tee time. Have 1 spot open and would love to have someone from the Refuge join us.

Wanted to bring this to the top. Not on here a ton.

Just moved from Fort Worth to Salt Lake City and I am tired of being the weird single. Been playing Thanksgiving Point quite bit, course would be $150 in DFW.

If anyone wants to get out and play this summer, holla at ya boi!

2 Likes

Former Dallas/Lubbock resident, just moved to SLC a couple years ago. Welcome to the land of golf that costs $40 when it would be $80+ in DFW. It’s great. We have an opening today at 4:30 at Bonneville if you want to join!

1 Like

There is a ~70% chance I will be accompanying my wife on a work trip to the Park City area the weekend after next (July 9 & 10). Anyone need a fourth? Willing to drive an hour or so I’d say.

Definitely going to be in the Park City area next weekend. Anyone up for a round or two?

Ridge is great! Worthy the trip I have made it my home course. It’s sister course Stonebridge isn’t as great but the greens at the Ridge are fantastic.

Wasatch Mountain Course 10/5

Mega Foilage!

4 Likes

That’s the hole I bounced a 5 iron off the ball washer into the trees about 2 months ago. Thanks for jogging that memory!

3 Likes

I played there last weekend and one of the guys in my group smoked his 3W off the stone slab just behind the ball wash. The ball ricocheted back and barely missed someone else standing by the carts. Wasatch has the looks that could kill it would seem!

1 Like

Hello all. I’m trying to find the biggest houses in the US for a golf-focused bachelor party, and came across a place on Coral Canyon. Would love thoughts on this area?

Good day, Utah crew! I am moving to SLC in the coming weeks and have a non-golf question/request. I am unfamiliar with the area and am trying to hone in on a place to live. I have done a little research, and will be taking a scouting trip early November, but any advice would be great! I am leaning toward the Midvale, Sandy, Jordan, and Draper areas. To provide context, I’m 30, single, and will work from home. Golf and hiking are paramount (to the extent weather will permit). Feel free to message me directly so we don’t clutter the golf thread with housing recommendations haha.
Cheers.

• Ben