Roll Call: Utah

Yeah I would be in for this, I’ve wanted to make a trip up that direction anyway. Blending camping and golfing is right up my alley.

2 Likes

For all lurkers and UT/ID/MT Nesitcles and Refugees–

See the Nest post RE: 2022 Refuge Roosts posts for more details. Seeing if we have 20 members that would be interested in the meetups/games to form a region!

1 Like

@Diabolical @AOkland @Swaggy_P

2 Likes

Hello UT Refugees,

With the news of the Refuge Roosts dropping yesterday, I’m in the preliminary stage of seeing if it would be possible to form a 4 Corner Alliance.

20 Nest members looks like it’ll be tough to achieve in our AZ group, so I’m floating the idea to combine willing participants from CO, AZ, NM, and UT.

We could set up rotating winter meet ups in AZ and NM, and have summer meet ups in CO and UT.

***Looks like the ball might be rolling on another UT/ID/MT group, don’t want to step on anyones toes, so just want to throw out another potential option

2 Likes

Would do both groups so count me in here too.

2 Likes

Started this Google doc just to see the possible numbers we can get.

1 Like

At this point I’m signing up for any roosts that include Utah. Once more details are ironed out I guess I can decide what logistically makes more sense. I love the idea of the summer and winter options.

4 Likes

Kyler “Rooster” Pool…I dig it @TheSwimmingPool

2 Likes

I went ahead and created a new SW Regional Roost thread so we can all communicate and iron out the details there.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/roll-call-sw-regional-roost-intro-info/63872?u=kmola14

Hey all. I will be driving through SLC on Friday, March 18 on my way from Montana to St. George. Will things generally be open by then? If so, recommendations on places to play that are somewhat convenient to the interstate? Anyone want to play a round early that afternoon? I would also be OK with playing something a little further south on the way. My only fixed plan is to meet someone to grab a bike in town (not sure where yet) around lunch time, or a little earlier.

Thanks!

Not sure I’ll be able to play but there are a few options along I-15. I can only really speak to Salt Lake County, but Glendale, Meadowbrook, Murray Parkway, River Oaks, and Riverbend are all within 5-8 minutes west of the interstate. Might be missing a couple too

1 Like

Thanks. Which course would you recommend, all other things being equal?

Looks like I have an invite to SLC CC on the way back, but probably still looking on the afternoon of the 18th (assuming the weather cooperates) on the way down.

I like Riverbend a lot, that’s probably my favorite. Front 9 is up on a higher piece of property, then the backside dips down into a low valley. You get really good views of Mount Timpanogos on clear days too, nice little bonus.

We got a lot of snow this past week so I’m not sure what our courses will look like when you drive through. It’s supposed to warm up soon but who knows how muddy the courses will be after the snow melts. Best of luck

1 Like

Just moved to Saratoga Springs at the start of the new year, across from Talon’s Cove which will be my new home course. Have my first tee time there this week. I searched on the refuge for “Talon’s Cove” and apparently it hasn’t been worth mentioning yet, so let this post be the first to do so. :+1:

Got to play Talonscove for the first and only time a few years ago. It’s a tough place for the first go around, lots of blind shots and hidden hazards. And its location makes me think wind is its biggest defense, the wind was pretty tame when I got to play. I think they host the local qualifier for the KFT event every year as well. Has some great views of Utah lake with the city and mountains framing it. Hope to see your takes on it soon.

1 Like

Well, Talon’s Cove was lovely. Really enjoyed my round there last week and can’t wait to learn the course more. I took less than driver on most par 4s and played really carefully and deliberately, with GPS on my phone to pick safe layup spots, and ended up posting my best 18 hole score to date (89). Obviously pretty brown still and it was 31 degrees when I started at 9am but the views of Timpanogos were beautiful. Really looking forward to playing more of it this summer.

4 Likes

Greens look pretty smooth for being March. Was it very windy? That course can be a brute if it’s breezy.

Hello Utah Nesters: We are at Park City for the week and the temperatures for Saturday look like they will be very warm- so skiing might not be in the cards that day.

Anyone with recommendations for a course that would be open and accessible for my son (12) and I to play on Saturday - somewhere potentially on the drive down the hill to Salt Lake or in Salt Lake (or somewhere else within a hour drive from Park City)?

Thanks!

Soldier Hollow and Wasatch Mountain come highly rated by a few of us. Both are ~30 mins south of Park City and have 36 holes each.

Mountain Dell is another 36 hole course that’s in between Park City and SLC.

In SLC you’ve got Bonneville GC near the University of Utah campus. There are a couple small 9 hole course, Nibley Park and Forest Dale are two of the oldest courses in the state.

You can find specific write-ups of some courses if you scroll up. I’d quote them here but I don’t remember how to do that on mobile.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Old Mill is a fun course. Really close to the mountains and is normally in pretty good shape. Couple gimmicky holes but it’s a good time.

1 Like