Roll Call: Utah

Played Cedar Hills in a 4 man best ball tournament a couple weeks ago, had a blast out there and figured I’d share a couple pics… This course is at the mouth of American Fork Canyon and the wind can get pretty nasty, but its got some great views as it meanders through the bench area at the base of the canyon. There are some short par 5’s out here, and the 1st hole has a couple hundred foot drop to the fairway from the tee box. Greens were rolling a little bit slow, but overall this is a course thats being kept in pretty good shape. While I prefer Bountiful Ridge or South Mountain for my favorite “mountain style” course, this place is not far off that level I’d say. Team shot a 58 in the tourney, took the W.

2 Likes

Nice! Course looks to be in good shape, I’ll have add it to my list.

Took a drive up to Logan this weekend to play Logan River with my old man. Only played the front 9 and didn’t get many pics but can say it’s one of those places you need course knowledge on. Lots of hidden hazards. Probably the most difficult opening holes I’ve played in Northern Utah, has a large tree on the right and a fairway that bends slightly around it asking for a left to right tee shot. Then has a tall row of trees on the left that overhang the fairway and force you to play right to left regardless if you’re going for the green or laying up (it’s a par 5). Looking to head back soon to play the back 9.

2 Likes

Love seeing reviews of courses I have yet to play!

Hey Bois - I’m heading to Park City next weekend with some buddies for a bachelor party and 4 of us are looking to get out for a round or two while we’re in town rather than hike. Any recommendations for public tracks in Park City or close by?

Greatly appreciate any advice on where to get out!

1 Like

Soldier Hollow and Wasatch. Very close to Park City, also the park city muni is great.

1 Like

Yeah what @nckmrly said is your best option. Soldier Hollow and Wasatch both have two 18s to choose from as well, so you basically have 5 courses to choose from.

Will echo what’s already been mentioned, can’t really miss with Soldier Hollow or Wasatch. Just to throw another one out there, Mountain Dell also has 36 holes. It’s just west of Park City so if you’re heading to Park City from SLC via I-80 you’ll pass by it.

Reviews on the courses recommended? Heading the Park City over the 4th and will be efforting a round while I’m out there.

There are reviews of Mtn Dell and Wasatch courses above in this thread, Soldier gets mentioned a few times, but I dont think there is a full review, I could be wrong though…

Born and raised in SLC, now in Houston. Love scrolling through and seeing some homeland course pics. My high school course was Bonneville and I would LOVE to get out and play that again.

2 Likes

Great afternoon out at Bonnie with @TheSwimmingPool

5 Likes

Used to reside in SLC, but didn’t really play much golf while I lived there (only Bonneville, tbh). Coming back to visit in a few weeks and planning on a few early AM rounds while I’m in town.

Suggestions on courses to play would be greatly appreciated.

I think this is a good write up on courses to consider.

2 Likes

Just got back from my first ever round at Soldier Hollow. Played the Silver course with a buddy and his father-in-law. This course absolutely delivers on the hype that I’ve been hearing about. The only problem we had with it was that it’s such a long drive (we all live ~30 min. north of SLC).

To give context, I’m currently playing off a 5 handicap, my friend is one of the many COVID refugees that golf took in last year so he’s still developing a handicap, and his FIL is around a 12 handicap. Playing from the blues, we got around with no issues. So this course is enjoyable for any level of golfer.

Took many pictures but I’ll just post the hits.

Overlooking the Silver course from clubhouse

1st tee

9th tee

13th tee

1 Like

Haven’t been there in 10 years, and this reminds me why this is probably my favorite course. And you have no idea how good you have it when 30 minutes is “far” as a downside for a course like this lol. I stand by it that SLC/Park City has the greatest collection of municipal golf in the country.

We’re 30 mins from SLC, the course is in Midway. So roughly 75 mins to the course. But I get your point and in no way was it a serious complaint. Nearly every hole I heard something to the effect of “this course is freaking awesome” from the guys.

I’m anxious to check out the Gold course but the Silver course has set a really high benchmark to beat. I’ve heard the Gold is the more difficult 18 and judging from what I saw it definitely has some challenging holes.

How long are you staying brother? If we get the chance to vibe again I’m wayyyy in

And by the same token, it was never meant to seriously put you on blast lol just some tongue in cheek jealousy.

I only ever played the gold once or twice, compared the silver 4 or 5 times, and this was all the way back in high school, so I don’t really remember details, but the way I recall it, everything on the gold nets out to like 5% better across the board. I do remember it being a little tougher, but not overwhelmingly so, and I think a lot of it was a big different on the championship tees. We didn’t play back there, but the guy we played with did, and I remember him having some forced carries and tough angles that we didn’t have to deal with.