Roll Call: Utah

I’ll need to get back out there in the fall, left a few strokes out there so I want to come back when my swing is in a groove and the colors are popping off. I thought a couple years ago there was talk of a private group potentially re-doing Wingpointe. That course could really eat up golf balls though if you weren’t accurate with your yardages, and the wind right by the airport was tough to deal with. A stern test I never passed…

Grew up down there in Utah County so Hobble was a staple. Go back in October, it’s amazing in the fall.

1 Like

Thinking about making the hour long drive to Gladstan from Salt Lake, all the pictures I’ve seen are gorgeous! What’s the course play like?

Gladstan has a handful of some really fun golf holes and some cool views, I think I prefer the oaks in Spanish Fork a little more. Greens are always pure.

Anyone recommend any courses south of SLC to play? Kind of lost my interest in the Davis/Weber county courses I usually play and want to try somewhere new. I’ve played South Mountain and River Oaks, but that’s about it. Appreciate any and all feedback!

Have you played Riverbend yet? Parkland layout, but with the incredible views of the valley out on the front 9 your mind isn’t on the GCA though. Rounds can get a bit backed up out there, weekends can be baaaad. Thanksgiving Point is almost always a good call, if you’re willing to drive out of the valley, but I usually stick more to courses around Salt Lake. At the South end of the valley I don’t think you can beat South Mountain honestly, love that course! Picture is of the first hole at Riverbend

South Mountain was a tough test but I enjoyed it. Closest I’ve come to an ace was on the 3rd hole there. Thanksgiving Point has been on my list for a long time, definitely need to play it. Riverbend is one I haven’t thought about, thanks for the suggestion!

Yea, playing at South Mountain is pretty much target golf, I don’t go out there unless I’m feeling good ab my game and I’ve got a couple extra sleeves in my bag…

Howdy to the refugees of Utah,

I’m moving to Salt Lake City from Dallas Labor Day weekend. Pretty pumped to escape the god awful humidity of summer golf out here. I know I’m going to be living extremely close to Bonneville (~7 minute drive), are the other city and county courses pretty decent? I’m used to driving anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour and a half to get to courses in DFW, so I’m not super concerned with distance. Just wanna hit as many good courses as I can.

2 Likes

Get ready for your ball to go farther at elevation! Bonneville is a legit course, built during the “golden era” of GCA. The greens are small, but roll pretty true. Seems to be a local favorite, with busy leagues, I’ve run into some sloooow rounds out there on occasion. Slightly north of that area I like Eaglewood, public course with wide landing areas, and fast greens, it has homes on it and nothing too interesting architecture-wise, but some pretty good vistas of the valley below. Forest Dale is a city-run 9 hole course (formerly the Salt Lake Country Club) right around the corner, walkable parkland-style golfing with some great bones to it, could use a little sprucing up though. Those are the courses right near you I would start with, but since you are willing to drive a little heres a few bangers I have to hit every summer at least once:
Mountain Dell (Lakes course over Canyon for me)
Old Mill
Soldier Hollow
Thanksgiving Point
South Mountain

3 Likes

Looking forward to it, thanks for the write up!

Played Mountain Dell last week (Lakes Course), this is one of my favorite holes, #6. Great place to beat the heat of the valley, tons of wildlife out there (moose, badgers, etc) greens rolling a little bit slowly, slightly convoluted routing, definitely a cart course! Think I paid $55 for 18 with a cart.

2 Likes

Glendale doesn’t get enough love. 32 bucks to walk and easy walk. In pretty good shape with the current heat.

Coming to SLC in a few weeks. Plan is to hit Thanksgiving, Soldier hollow, and the Wasatch courses. Any other recommendations or one of those I should stay away from?

I need to get up to Ogden at some point to see the fam. Any good courses north of Salt Lake?

I’ve played valley view in kaysville. I really liked it.

I will 2nd Valley View. It’s a great course that will also challenge you. If you’re looking specifically in the Ogden area there’s Mt. Ogden that’s just north of Weber State University. Unfortunately with the smokey haze being around you won’t get the usual views of the valley. If you’re looking for a quick 9 there’s El Monte at the mouth of Ogden canyon.

I think you’re hitting the main attractions. I haven’t played too many in the SLC-Park City area but one I have and recommend is South Mountain. If you venture a little north of the Salt Lake valley there’s Bountiful Ridge and Eaglewood. Of those two I would recommend Bountiful Ridge.

1 Like

You know I actually haven’t been there yet this season, think I’ll book it for next week. Appreciate the recommends. I really try and get around to pretty much every decent course within an hour drive of my place. Only courses I absolutely will not play are Nibley, Rose Park, and Mountain View. I think I’m only missing Glendale, one of the Stonebridge 9’s (sagebrush?) and Mtn Dell Canyons course this summer.

South Mountain seconded! Some of the best views of the valley from this course, great greens, a ton of risk/reward shots at South Mountain. Honestly a little tight for my occasionally wild driver, but I go there knowing I’ll lose some balls, but enjoy the round. A true target-golf style test in the mountains, as opposed to the many “parkland” style offerings in the valley.