Roll Call: Utah

This is so helpful. Thank you so much!

Making my first trip to St. George 9/22-9/25 to visit a friend (and fellow refugee) who just moved there. We will be playing 2-3 rounds those days if anyone cares to join!

Also Sand Hollow seems like the obvious play for one of the rounds but there doesn’t really seems to be any clear standouts among the rest (i.e. Sky Mountain, Coral Canyon, Ledges, Copper Rock). Entrada at Snow Canyon seems like the best of the rest but I don’t think we could get on there and they may or may not be in the middle of a DMK course reno. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Sand Hollow is the best track down there. Take some time for the links course as well.

I’d say the ledges is the next best option, especially the back 9.

If you play sunbrook, play the black rock 9.

2 Likes

I’m taking a trip to southern Utah by myself 10/18-10/21 and am trying to play Sand Hollow. Apparently they don’t let singles book advance tee times… anyone want to play a round that week?

Just got back from Utah and I think I over-hyped Sand Hollow in my head. It was good, not great. Alot of the “resort course” excuses by the staff and the general vibe was off-putting. If looking at red rocks are really your thing then it would be cool. From the hype I was expecting it to be on a Bandon level, but that was my mistake. It would be cool to see the back 9 in the mega-light but otherwise I’m good.

Crossposting in case anyone is interested in heading north and meeting some other refugees

1 Like

Yeah I would be in for this, I’ve wanted to make a trip up that direction anyway. Blending camping and golfing is right up my alley.

2 Likes

For all lurkers and UT/ID/MT Nesitcles and Refugees–

See the Nest post RE: 2022 Refuge Roosts posts for more details. Seeing if we have 20 members that would be interested in the meetups/games to form a region!

1 Like

@Diabolical @AOkland @Swaggy_P

2 Likes

Hello UT Refugees,

With the news of the Refuge Roosts dropping yesterday, I’m in the preliminary stage of seeing if it would be possible to form a 4 Corner Alliance.

20 Nest members looks like it’ll be tough to achieve in our AZ group, so I’m floating the idea to combine willing participants from CO, AZ, NM, and UT.

We could set up rotating winter meet ups in AZ and NM, and have summer meet ups in CO and UT.

***Looks like the ball might be rolling on another UT/ID/MT group, don’t want to step on anyones toes, so just want to throw out another potential option

2 Likes

Would do both groups so count me in here too.

2 Likes

Started this Google doc just to see the possible numbers we can get.

1 Like

At this point I’m signing up for any roosts that include Utah. Once more details are ironed out I guess I can decide what logistically makes more sense. I love the idea of the summer and winter options.

4 Likes

Kyler “Rooster” Pool…I dig it @TheSwimmingPool

2 Likes

I went ahead and created a new SW Regional Roost thread so we can all communicate and iron out the details there.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/roll-call-sw-regional-roost-intro-info/63872?u=kmola14

Hey all. I will be driving through SLC on Friday, March 18 on my way from Montana to St. George. Will things generally be open by then? If so, recommendations on places to play that are somewhat convenient to the interstate? Anyone want to play a round early that afternoon? I would also be OK with playing something a little further south on the way. My only fixed plan is to meet someone to grab a bike in town (not sure where yet) around lunch time, or a little earlier.

Thanks!

Not sure I’ll be able to play but there are a few options along I-15. I can only really speak to Salt Lake County, but Glendale, Meadowbrook, Murray Parkway, River Oaks, and Riverbend are all within 5-8 minutes west of the interstate. Might be missing a couple too

1 Like

Thanks. Which course would you recommend, all other things being equal?

Looks like I have an invite to SLC CC on the way back, but probably still looking on the afternoon of the 18th (assuming the weather cooperates) on the way down.

I like Riverbend a lot, that’s probably my favorite. Front 9 is up on a higher piece of property, then the backside dips down into a low valley. You get really good views of Mount Timpanogos on clear days too, nice little bonus.

We got a lot of snow this past week so I’m not sure what our courses will look like when you drive through. It’s supposed to warm up soon but who knows how muddy the courses will be after the snow melts. Best of luck

1 Like

Just moved to Saratoga Springs at the start of the new year, across from Talon’s Cove which will be my new home course. Have my first tee time there this week. I searched on the refuge for “Talon’s Cove” and apparently it hasn’t been worth mentioning yet, so let this post be the first to do so. :+1: