Roll Call: Utah

Need a picture of the scorecard after the round. Gotta see how ugly the dots get.

2 Likes

Can confirm, it will be a good time. Always a stripe show with @TheSwimmingPool

@Diabolical has the card with the dots. @AOkland had himself a day with Wolfhammer

@AitchCeeGee picking the right partner >> hitting your own good shots. Hitch that wagon correctly and you’re set

1 Like

Tattoo that on my forehead.

2 Likes

@Diabolical put in a lot of work to get this set up in a really short amount of time. Check it out! Wolf in the Wasatch - Sept 12th - Midway, UT

1 Like

Found this in the bag today. First timer @AOkland cleaned me out…

2 Likes

Southern Utah is definitely a trip everyone should do at least once. If flying into Vegas in the afternoon/evening, you can make the drive over to St. George, Utah in about 1.5 hours. It is a good small/medium sized city with plenty of places to stay & eat. It will also put you about a 45 minute drive away from the front gate of Zion’s.

The other option would be to stay in the town of Springdale. That is the town directly outside the gate of Zion’s National Park. It is a small town that really revolves around the national park and there are places to stay, some fun tourist shops, and a few places to eat. For an anniversary trip, Springdale may have a better ambiance than St. George, but it will probably be a bit more expensive and can get overrun with tourists during popular times.

The last recommendation I’d make if you are trying to see both Zions & Bryce on the same trip is to stay in Kanab, UT. Kanab is right outside the back gate of Zion’s National Park and puts you right on the road that leads to Bryce Canyon. It is a very small town which is also very quiet and peaceful with a few restaurants and some good scenery. It also puts you close to a number of other things to see like the Glen Canyon Dam, Horseshoe Bend, and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. There might be less to do here than the other towns I mentioned, but it provides a good central home base.

Hopefully this helps. I would avoid the temptation to try to see everything in a few days. It’s amazing how many things there are to see in this part of the world and if you’re not careful you can spend all your time driving from one place to another as things are further apart then they seem (speaking from experience). I hope you all enjoy your trip.

1 Like

This is so helpful. Thank you so much!

Making my first trip to St. George 9/22-9/25 to visit a friend (and fellow refugee) who just moved there. We will be playing 2-3 rounds those days if anyone cares to join!

Also Sand Hollow seems like the obvious play for one of the rounds but there doesn’t really seems to be any clear standouts among the rest (i.e. Sky Mountain, Coral Canyon, Ledges, Copper Rock). Entrada at Snow Canyon seems like the best of the rest but I don’t think we could get on there and they may or may not be in the middle of a DMK course reno. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Sand Hollow is the best track down there. Take some time for the links course as well.

I’d say the ledges is the next best option, especially the back 9.

If you play sunbrook, play the black rock 9.

2 Likes

I’m taking a trip to southern Utah by myself 10/18-10/21 and am trying to play Sand Hollow. Apparently they don’t let singles book advance tee times… anyone want to play a round that week?

Just got back from Utah and I think I over-hyped Sand Hollow in my head. It was good, not great. Alot of the “resort course” excuses by the staff and the general vibe was off-putting. If looking at red rocks are really your thing then it would be cool. From the hype I was expecting it to be on a Bandon level, but that was my mistake. It would be cool to see the back 9 in the mega-light but otherwise I’m good.

Crossposting in case anyone is interested in heading north and meeting some other refugees

1 Like

Yeah I would be in for this, I’ve wanted to make a trip up that direction anyway. Blending camping and golfing is right up my alley.

2 Likes

For all lurkers and UT/ID/MT Nesitcles and Refugees–

See the Nest post RE: 2022 Refuge Roosts posts for more details. Seeing if we have 20 members that would be interested in the meetups/games to form a region!

1 Like

@Diabolical @AOkland @Swaggy_P

2 Likes

Hello UT Refugees,

With the news of the Refuge Roosts dropping yesterday, I’m in the preliminary stage of seeing if it would be possible to form a 4 Corner Alliance.

20 Nest members looks like it’ll be tough to achieve in our AZ group, so I’m floating the idea to combine willing participants from CO, AZ, NM, and UT.

We could set up rotating winter meet ups in AZ and NM, and have summer meet ups in CO and UT.

***Looks like the ball might be rolling on another UT/ID/MT group, don’t want to step on anyones toes, so just want to throw out another potential option

2 Likes

Would do both groups so count me in here too.

2 Likes

Started this Google doc just to see the possible numbers we can get.

1 Like