Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

Strapped: Vancouver would be delightful with the exchange rate math involved. Put Neil and Randy on a tandem bike ride around Stanley Park and the sea wall. Maybe they can find a cheap shoebox to Airbnb.

As far as tourist sauce, maybe going Calgary to Seattle would be better if Cap & Victoria are off the docket. Cross the border for Gamble Sands south of Osoyoos and then finish with Chambers.

2 Likes

Strapped: Vancouver sounds like living in Vancouver.

Not stayed in the city proper before so I can’t comment on budget golf but it doesn’t seem like the ideal place. Tourist Sauce sure.
SW Ontario has a plethora of high end (and overrated) tracks, but an equal amount of gems for great rates (see: Tarandowah, etc)

There are also stories to be told and campuses to be visited for Strapped. Waterloo (the MIT of Canada)? Or do we need to feature classic campuses with a frat row for Randy to be happy? :wink:

1 Like

The 3 Vancouver munis are actually all completely within a strapped budget and are all legit courses. Fraserview is a McBroom, Langara is a sick 100 years old CP Rail course redone by McBroom and Mcleery is right on the water and is the poor mans Marine Drive(which you can literally snap hook it onto on a few holes)

There is literally nothing else Strapped about Vancouver though. Would basically be the same as Strapped Seattle or Strapped San Fran

If anything is happening out west, it needs to be a Tourist Sause.

3 Likes

Waterloo also has the frat row bunch of drunken yahoos who happen to attend Laurier.

I think they’ve already said they aren’t really wanting to do take Strapped across the border until they can do more places in the US. Which I do get, because they’re American. I do think the most likely strapped places are Windsor and Niagara Falls with how popular they are with American tourists (and how much off course content the boys would have).

1 Like

Fuuuuuuk.
Strapped: Windsor would be sick.
Cheap golf (some great public tracks all around $50 cdn) but our vibe has seriously declined since 9/11. Bar scene was off the charts and the boys would have had fun. There are still some pockets but its not like it used to be. Even the peeler scene is in massive decline (not that I would be a SME on that).

2 Likes

Club Link is not a golf company. It is a property company. They buy courses and ruin them.

8 Likes

In my Strapped: SW Ontario lineup there’s definitely a round at Vic Park, and it’d be a shame to have the Big Guy out here and not have him sit in on a few turf classes at UGuelph

3 Likes

Rockway with its “mandatory lay up” hole too!

I mean you can’t do a western canada Tourist sauce and skip the best course in western Canada in Jasper. I’d through in Calgary Golf and Country Club as an afternoon round on arrival day too. Cut out Stewart or Kidd or one of whistler ones if you have to.

Also @Bunk VGC does allow unaccompanied guest play fwiw

1 Like

Yeah honestly the only reason I left it out was the same reason I left out Kelowna, was trying to minimize the driving as it’s already a lot. We have so many awesome 3-4 day trips around here but it’s tough to make it one mega trip.

No matter what, there is going to be at least one or two Old Head and Pumpkin Ridge like omissions. Either way, I trust they’ll put together the best itinerary possible balancing all factors. They always do.

For Jasper they might have to convince Alberta Tourism or something to charter a helicopter from Banff to Jasper and back (which would be sick) unless they are up for a longer drive this time (it is incredibly scenic with very good highways, but still). Same with float plane to the Island. I’d love to see Victoria Golf Club. Looks so classic, routing is unique and the setting is just incredible.

Actually? We know the price on that.

Western Canada is big and a lot of driving, but they had a couple of big drives in Oregon as well. Just won’t be able to stay in one spot like Bandon to recharge I guess

Vic East. Saugeen. Could do the military course at base borden. So many gems in sw Ontario and up on Lake Huron.

1 Like

Idk I think it was around 200-300 when I was a member there but I don’t really remember. They have an email for guest inquiries on the website

I’m thinking perhaps we need to setup our own Strapped: ON (see what I did there). Everybody can take either their area or an area they are familiar with, setup a couple rounds at local courses and invite some refugees. Easy to do, great way for all of us to appreciate some of these cool courses/places around the area, potentially as a warm-up for the big event that is being planned.

Megabonus and bud tents are optional.

9 Likes

Well, my December CFA test just got cancelled, already have two weeks booked off over American Thanksgiving and into Dec, now I’m thinking Vancouver Island golf trip? Good idea or great idea?

1 Like

Greatest idea

1 Like

Great idea. Happy to join you for a round. (Assuming my current back issues have cleared up by then.)

It will likely be wet. Soggy ground and some rain. Frost delays are possible but not likely until later in December.

Victoria should be fine so you’d have Bear Mountain (x2), Highland Pacific, Olympic View, Cedar Hill, and Cordova Bay. Not sure what central and north island are like that time of year. I assume Cowichan Valley and Nanaimo areas should still be good to go but just an assumption.

1 Like

Hey everyone! Checking in from Halifax. Joined here a few weeks ago after lurking for a bit.

6 Likes