Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

Hey Scott! Tom From Stouffville here. Former average club pro, member at Mill Run, likely joining Granite Club this year. I’m slowly playing my way through the Score Top 100 Courses (currently at 28). Previously lived in Calgary, Fernie, Victoria so it was nice to see check in’s from some of those spots.

1 Like

Buffalo here but I play enough in Fort Erie and Niagara Falls and listen to the Hip and the Trews and Big Wreck while I do it, so I’m game for rounds at Legends, Thundering Waters, and possibly my favorite course, Grand Niagara

where did you play in YYC?

I worked at Priddis Greens for a couple of seasons which was awesome because they have two courses and would let me play as much as I wanted. One of my favourite Calgary area courses was Glen Eagles in Cochrane. Played a really fun round there after the Nationwide tour (Web.com now) event in firm & fast conditions! Springbank Links was another fun one but I think it might be gone or radically changed now. Sirocco, Lynx Ridge, Elbow Springs, Heather Glen. There’s a bunch of good to great golf within a short drive of downtown.

1 Like

I am a member at Sirocco. Love Love Priddis, would love to be there but that drive is killer for me. Try and play Glen Eagles at least once a year, conditioning hasn’t been good the last couple times but great layout.

Sirocco opened the last summer I lived in Calgary. I only got to play it a couple of times. One of the guys from Priddis became the first head pro there. I just remember barely missing a couple of fairways and losing balls in the brush :slight_smile: I bet it’s really nice now that it’s grown in.

My brother is still out there and I haven’t visited him in a while. If I can get the okay from the wife, I’m going to try and come out there to play the Alberta Mid Am this summer. Hopefully we can peg it up at Sirocco too and you can show us around!

Rory making the trip to the Canadian Open this year. I think I will have to make the short drive from Burlington to watch.

Rory announced a few days after the tournament organizers announced Florida Georgia Line said they are playing a concert on the Friday night. Did not know Rory was such a big country fan.

Side note: Hamilton is in my top 3 of courses in this great country such a nice track.

Haha, they have made it much easier now… still tough but some leeway for wayward drives. I do miss the knee high grass everywhere, looked cool but more importantly gave me a distinct advantage, haha.

Just scored Saturday tickets through one of my vendors - I’ll be out there for the day, and at my first tour event too!

I’d be stoked to meet some more Refugees in the area - @jimmay and I have connected for a couple of rounds in KW this year already, it’ll be great to see a group out there.

New user here from Guelph. Member at Whistle Bear in Cambridge. Always looking for new golf buddies and interesting people to play with. I travel all around Ontario playing golf each summer and am always game to play with someone new.

1 Like

@duncmitchell and @jimmay noticed you were both in the KW area - I am just over in Guelph. If you ever need a playing partner let me know. I would be interested in meeting up.

Hey Ontarioans,

I am going to be out for a couple weeks in late july early august. Would love to meet up for a game, don’t plan on bring the sticks since we have a little guy and I just cant imagine another bag. Will have access to a car so can travel a reasonable distance. I’ll be staying Markdale area (I think that is the most recognizable town in the area) and don’t think there is much or any good golf around but hope I am wrong.

Cheers,

EDIT - all golf is good golf, not trying to sound like a snob, would be happy to play anything

Cobble Beach or Legacy Ridge up in Owen Sound (~50 minutes) are both really nice courses. You can definitely rent clubs there.
Lora Bay in Collingwood also a really nice track (~35 minutes) and you can rent clubs there.

1 Like

Thanks, checking them out now. Nice twilight rates at Cobble and Legacy (likely when I would go if not pre-booked with someone on the refuge)

Do you know anything about golf near Barrie? My brother-in-law is there but not a golfer

hey @alhunter nice to ‘meet’ you. @duncmitchell and i have connect a few times, he’s a good guy! I’m a member and tend top play there most often, happy to host anytime, and certainly would be good to meet up elsewhere if that is preferred. Not sure how to connect direct on here??

1 Like

Hey @Chadvb I actually know where Markdale is (bfn) and can help with advice. Can you advise if you are looking for ‘best courses’ or ‘value courses’ etc and i can be more specific. Also, how many rounds you looing to get in? Where are you coming to Ontario from?? I am member at Deer Ridge in Kitchener, 1.5 hrs away, would be happy to host you. @alhunter 's recommendation for Cobble Beach is a good one. Best greens I’ve ever played… and very picturesque setting. Pretty good track. If you could only play once, i would put that top of list!

can recommend some Barrie area courses, depends on your objectives. Cost / quality / number of rounds etc. whats your goal?

@jimmay looking to get 2 to 4 rounds in, likely mid week, staying at Lake Eugenia. Not looking to drive anymore then an hour unless there is a “Must play.” We also do this trip every year so I can tick off the boxes over time.

Looking at more value courses since I don’t have my own sticks. That being said, likely looking to play either really early or twilight.

Barrie - I could fairly easily play twilight, spend a night in Barrie, play in the morning and head back to the lake if there was something worth it.

@Chadvb definitely keep us posted here on your dates - I’m out of town July 13-21, but back in Kitchener after that. I could easily be convinced to rip north for a round, especially if you want to hit Cobble - I could use an excuse to head up there!

Traveling July 20 - Aug 3rd